Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

She still looks hot, eg that interview she gives to the Greek TV station.

That may be...but I have to admit when I seen the trailer for the new blu ray interview session on Season 2...I didn't even know who she was!

She looked well in S7 of Voyager, how long ago was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

EnterNow wrote: »
    That may be...but I have to admit when I seen the trailer for the new blu ray interview session on Season 2...I didn't even know who she was!

Would have been 2001 I think, 47 or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

EnterNow wrote: »

She looked OK in Nemesis as well and that was 2002, now though all the work she's had is beginning to show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

She looked OK in Nemesis as well and that was 2002, now though all the work she's had is beginning to show.

Are you mad?? It was totally obvious in First Contact

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

• Advertisement

Are you mad?? It was totally obvious in First Contact

Your misunderstanding my post, I'm not saying the work she had done before was never visible, I'm saying the work she had done is showing as in the work done to make her look younger has caught up with her age.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Gotta love the Borg references on QI last night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Gotta love the Borg references on QI last night :D

awh missed it. what were they saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Did anyone else always think the phrase was "delay that order...". Only found out recently it's belay. Didn't know that was even a word until a few days ago.

SarahBM wrote: »
    awh missed it. what were they saying?

Basically there were talking about a colony a jellyfish and how they act as one, Sue Perkins remarked 'they're like the Borg!' and Stephen Fry goes 'Yeah, exactly, we are Borg!!!'

I got so happy about it dunno why :o

Resistance is futile was mentioned in EastEnders too a while back!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Dear rich Santa...

10k Enterprise D replica

Watching Voyager, season 3, 'Unity'. And so begins Voyagers p1ss parade on the Borg. When we seen how truly 'disconnected' Borg drones are when their connection to the hive mind is severed in TNG's I Borg, its totally different to this band of ex Borg Chakotay finds himself 'rescued' by.

The lead female actually just said "Five years ago, our Cube was damaged by an electro-kinetic storm. The next thing we knew, our link to the collective was severed. We were free! We could think for ourselves again, remember our names, remember where we came from!".

In stark contrast to:

"Do I have a name?"
    "Hugh..."
    "We are Hugh"

Yes Hugh developed onwards as the episode progressed, & even further again in Descent 1 & 2, but he never encroached on fully remembering who he was or what his life was like before being assimilated. It was always felt in TNG that once your assimilated, after a period of time has elapsed, that person is lost...overwritten if you will. It was different in Picards case, because he wasn't assimilated for very long, & also certain facets of his personality were left in tact because he was to 'bridge the gap' between Borg & Human to help with assimilation.

I just ignore everything about Voy on everything. Voy was like the republican party of star trek, all its opinions are wrong and it does everything wrong. Just ignore it.

I love Voyager! its my fav!

speaking of which, I just watched the ep Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy, I hadnt seen it before (dont ask me how I missed it!)
    and I was LMFAO! The Doctor rocks!!! he is ridiculously funny!

well I think so anyway.

I think you maybe right though. Id say Janeway voted for Romney. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

How old was Hugh when he was assimilated? I've forgotten his backstory. If he was very young then you could pass it off as him being simply too young to remember his previous life.

I've put my Voyager watch-through on hold for a bit whilst I rewatch a season of 24. I just decided that I need to be actually enjoying the shows that I'm watching in the evening. I'll get back to it in a week or two.

A lot of the episodes thus far have had decent concepts, as if the pitch for the episode was good but they then had no idea how to flesh it out. I think the tipping point for me was Season two episode six 'Twisted'. Voyager encounters some cloud in space which engulfs the ship and changes its layout. This one must have been the shortest story of any Star Trek episode. It's an opening scene, a closing scene (in which the dramatic way that they decide to resolve the problem is to do nothing - brilliant! - and 40 minutes in between of literally nothing other than one crewman bumping into another and saying "I'm lost, I'm trying to get to Engineering/The Bridge/Holodeck Two". How did that make it to broadcast??

could you imagine if the writers of 24 had been writing for Star Trek! OMG! that would have been brilliant!

I want santi to bring me the complete series of Voyager and TNG. :) Id better get started on that letter!

24 is a completely different series. It would all be about sealing warp core breaches in that case and 'terrorist' cells such as the Maquis, with ott darkness probably. Which would go against the ethos of Star Trek. You wouldn't have already amazing episodes such as Time Squared, TBoBW, The Inner Light (masterpiece), AGT (another masterpiece), Chain of Command (masterpiece, with acting masterclasses from that dude from Tron and Stewart) and so on. (Although I admit to not being a 24 fan). It would be cool to have an entire series dedicated to Picard being Picard, epic facepalms, longwinded speeches and descents into Shakespearean acting, I would pay to see that.

24 is a completely different series. It would all be about sealing warp core breaches in that case and 'terrorist' cells such as the Maquis, with ott darkness probably. Which would go against the ethos of Star Trek. You wouldn't have already amazing episodes such as Time Squared, TBoBW, The Inner Light (masterpiece), AGT (another masterpiece), Chain of Command (masterpiece, with acting masterclasses from that dude from Tron and Stewart) and so on. (Although I admit to not being a 24 fan). It would be cool to have an entire series dedicated to Picard being Picard, epic facepalms, longwinded speeches and descents into Shakespearean acting, I would pay to see that.

I didnt mean the having 24 plot lines in Star Trek, I ment the quality of the story, the dialogue, and the delving into the deepest darkest parts of a character.
    Although having Jack Bauer chasing the Borg across the Delta Quadrant would be interesting *insert epic Picard face palm here!*
    I would love a trek movie with all the captains (except Archer obviously) but its too late for that now I suppose. sigh.

SarahBM wrote: »
    I didnt mean the having 24 plot lines in Star Trek, I ment the quality of the story, the dialogue, and the delving into the deepest darkest parts of a character.
    Although having Jack Bauer chasing the Borg across the Delta Quadrant would be interesting *insert epic Picard face palm here!*
    I would love a trek movie with all the captains (except Archer obviously) but its too late for that now I suppose. sigh.

hmm, again this comes from someone who isn't a fan of 24 or most modern tv series, but I found the quality of the stories, dialogue and character development in Star Trek to surpass these types of shows. 'Darkness' is so overused these days. You can have excellent thought provoking tv without it, it probably benefits from it in a way as darkness is like the guitar wah pedal of film/tv, it covers up a lot of mistakes.

Trek at its best can surpass those shows. The worst episode of a show like 24 will be a hell of a lot more watchable than a fair few Trek episodes though.

24 and DS9 are probably my two favourite US shows ever so I'm torn on that one.

• Advertisement

In fairness 24 started about 10 years ago at this stage, and at that time it was probably one of the darkest things on tv and something that hadnt been done before. I loved it.

I love Star Trek too but in a different way, if you know what I mean. Its like with Harry Potter (books not film) you wish you could have gone to Hogwarts when you were a kid, but then the next step? STARFLEET!!! lol Sounds ridiculous, but its my fantasy.

Watching back Voyager, I am actually liking Janeway more this time. I dont know why but I never really liked her before. Maybe it is because Im a bit older. I understand her a bit better.

and am I the only one who actually liked the idea of Seven and Chakotay? Probably.

Seven and Chakotay might have been alright had it been built up over time instead of just having been tacked in the last episode to provide a moment of dilemma for him. Bit like Troi & Worf in 'All Good Things' I guess but at least that had been foreshadowed somewhat.

Seven and Chakotay could of worked, but they clearly rushed it. Rumours are Robert Beltran threw a tantrum about his character development and they did it to appease him.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Seven and Chakotay could of worked, but they clearly rushed it. Rumours are Robert Beltran threw a tantrum about his character development and they did it to appease him.

That would have been about seven years too late to complain, wouldn't it? Maybe copping off with Jeri Ryan was a reward for him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Some reward :pac:

Beefy78 wrote: »
    That would have been about seven years too late to complain, wouldn't it? Maybe copping off with Jeri Ryan was a reward for him :)

I can just imagine Robert Picardo coming home and yelling "DAMN" after reading the script :P

I can just imagine Robert Picardo coming home and yelling "DAMN" after reading the script :P

Ah I always felt a bit sorry for the poor doctor. it was never going to happen like.
    I really wish they had developed the relationship between Seven and Chakotay over a longer period. Especially with Seven's history. It was very unlikely that any relationship she was in would have moved that fast. But I guess we will never know now :(

I was always a bit sad that Geordie never found someone too :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

after his pretty creepy love affair with the video recordings of a dead woman, maybe no one on the ship would touch him

after his pretty creepy love affair with the video recordings of a dead woman, maybe no one on the ship would touch him

What was this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

was early TNG.. he was on some space station with just her recorded letters to her sister and her dog (which turned out to be a shape shifting alien) which tried to kill him

always thought it would have been awesome if it was retconned that the alien was a dominion shapeshifter

--edit

didn't he fall in love with some holograms too?

Advertisement