Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It seems the worse the episode was, the more likely it was to win an Emmy (DS9 ones excepted).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I think the issue is the wins are in technical categories like sound design or make-up and not the more prestigious categories like acting or writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

My brother said they were in merger talks to me and honestly had not heard a single thing or seen anything about it untill now. It could have its positives and its negatives I suppose. I can of would like it to happen if it was good for Star Trek but also worry that it could be bad for Star Trek and it could end up like the Star Wars film franchise now in limbo or worse yet like it was itself after Enterprise in Limbo.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It could have its positives and its negatives

No. Cos whatever about the specifics of a Warner controlled Trek, corporate mergers and the dissolution of competition is NOT and never a net positive. Culturally speaking the shrinking of Hollywood's major studios into less than a handful is, culturally, the hastening of pop culture becoming ossified if not outright moribund. Disney swallowing Fox was certainly not a good thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well if the rest of Fox were anything like their "news" channel. No big loss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Open to correction but Fox News was and remains its own corporation; the entertainment wing was 20th Century Fox - which is what Disney acquired - so not exactly some random nobody.

20th century Fox produced a lot of quality stuff in its day. I remember that logo being nearly ubiquitous on movies/TV shows growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah they have made plenty of Oscar winning classics and famous blockbusters. They were no joke of a company.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I got a big giggle out of this one! 😁😅🤣

Ms

Happy New Year to all trekkies and trekkers in here. Hopefully this is a good year for Star Trek and I predict a new movie in the next 5 years sometime.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 25,579 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Tiocfaidh ár Lore.

I bet 2024 sounded so futuristic when they wrote that.

Ms

Yes it would have been great if it had of happened but I would say its at least another decade away from happening if it ever does.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The added context of that clip was it was an example of terrorist achieving their goals. I think the relative peace for the last 25 years is a good tradeoff.

NI being the economic black hole it is I don't see reunification happening ever.

Speaks to where the mindset was though - and perhaps the resting American attitudes. Quite something for the writer to essentially validate the IRA's campaign through a bit of SciFi. It wouldn't have been that far removed from their attempted assassination of Thatcher after all.

2024 though, ha. Wasn't the first time Trek really whiffed its attempts at near future productions. Cough cough Eugenics Wars n all that (least SNW tried to openly address that constant problem).

There was still quite a lot of Irish-American support tor the IRA in the 90s. But from what I remember of the episode the crew decried the tactics as ineffective and Data chimed in with an instance of it working.

They could have just pointed to the actual successful IRA campaign of 1919/21 but I assume they wanted to sound "futurey"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

@pixelburp 2024 though, ha. Wasn't the first time Trek really whiffed its attempts at near future productions. Cough cough Eugenics Wars n all that (least SNW tried to openly address that constant problem).

They really can not use the excuse of the 'TCW' to change the date here, Irish politics surely would not have an effect on global issues?

Post edited by corkie on

Ms

"wouldn't have been that far removed from their attempted assassination of Thatcher after all."

If the IRA had of succeeded in Killing Thatcher you would have to wonder what way would the UK have gone? Would they have just pulled out and left Northern Ireland to Dublin or would they have started to Bomb Ireland like Russia has on Ukraine?

I am sure in some Alternate Universe both of them things have happened depending on who takes over from Thatcher in there respective Universes and maybe in others there was no Thatcher but someone else so they would all be different too.

Here do we got the one where it almost happened but did not and maybe we are lucky because of that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Depending on who you ask that's still a failure because Northern Ireland is still part of Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@AMKC If the IRA had of succeeded in Killing Thatcher you would have to wonder what way would the UK have gone? Would they have just pulled out and left Northern Ireland to Dublin or would they have started to Bomb Ireland like Russia has on Ukraine?

That could be an interesting thought experiment. While she landed a huge win in the 83 election after the Falklands when she was very popular, the assassination attempt occurred about half way through the coal miner strikes of 84-85, so there was a lot of ill-will towards Maggie, particularly in the working class. But as I recall, she gained a lot of sympathy for her measured response to the attempt.

If she had been killed then, would there have been a "discarding" of NI to the Republic by GB? I doubt it, as we couldn't rub two shillings together back then. My first time across the border on an "unapproved road", was in 1985 and the main thing I noticed was that there were no potholes on the other side. 😏

I would say that more likely would have been a crackdown on Irish people in the UK. It was bad enough as it was. Some people I knew (good, respectable people), particularly working in London in the mid-late 80's and 90's used to get frequent attention of the police ... quite similar to how POC get attention in the US these days. So that would have been much more likely, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I see Star Trek: Infinite is included in the Steam winter sale, which ends tomorrow. Anyone played it? Worth picking up, or is it just a marketing cash-in with a Star Trek skin and nothing else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Played it when it came out. It's grand like, it was a bit buggy when launched, but I think they've fixed that. For the 29 quid I paid I got a decent bit out of it, and wasn't as annoyed at the issues as I have been with new games for 60+ that are buggy on launch. Now, I'm not the biggest Stellaris fan, so I think your mileage may vary depending on that. 20 quid seems a reasonable price to me tbh

Loved it at first but really disappointed as the game goes on.

AI is way too passive so you are usually just sitting around having to pick fights out of boredom.

The 1 storyline is the Borg which is almost impossible if you don't get the very first few parts of the mission right early game.

It needs more built in events to give the AI reasons to cause trouble with you. And more AI cooperation with things like the Borg.

20e is 3 pints these days if your lucky though so it certainly killed enough time to justify that much for someone like me who never played Stellaris

Cheers. Yeah, I'm still in my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate 3, but for €20-ish quid, it seems reasonable to pick it up now for later in the year, considering I must have put 100s of hours into Birth of the Federation back in the day, and I've never played Stellaris.

Hopefully they add more ships and missions in time.

Introducing the Dominion as Total War Mongol/Timurid style story would be a no brainer. And the games minor races are so boring and random even a nerd like me had to Google most of them.

There's a fun game called Space Haven going for a tenner in the sale. It's a kinda Sims in space type game.

I've burned hours on it.

I have it, and apparently played it for a whole 23 minutes! :-) It looked interesting, all right, I'll have another go after I finish BG3 another couple of times, then ST:I and Stray, which I also picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This came up in my YT feed today (same group that did some awesome DS9 season promos)

I really want to watch that first episode now.... (if only!)

• Advertisement

Looks very Expanse-ish

Advertisement