Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

EnterNow wrote: »
    Either the replication units can detect the mine is about to fail & initiate a replicated mine in an instant, or the mine field was far bigger than we think :)

Not sure about the mines intelligence but I do think if one was destroyed there would have been multiple mines ready to replace it because on screen it does look like it's a few mines thick.
    Wasn't it that any explosion big enough to destroy the entire field would destabilise the worm hole?

However that doesn't explain why they couldn't just get a fleet of ships to target multiple mines with phasers

I remember something about explosions near the wormhole but can't remember if it was that episode but the Dominion wouldn't need all that big of a bang, place one near the center and let the mines replicate then repeat, it would take a while but all that replication would drain the mines near the outer ring of the explosion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not sure about the mines intelligence but I do think if one was destroyed there would have been multiple mines ready to replace it because on screen it does look like it's a few mines thick.

Yeah thats essentially how it worked, the mines around a destroyed one replicated it if it was destroyed.

Regards your suggestion to place one in the middle, I'm only guessing here...but because they couldn't activate the mine field until the last mine was in place...I'd suggest the detection field for replication covered the whole area of the field. Therefore a mine at the very end would be able to replicate a lost one at the other end, & once one is abck in place...it wouldn't take long at all before the whole field was back in action

Yeah thats essentially how it worked, the mines around a destroyed one replicated it if it was destroyed.

Regards your suggestion to place one in the middle, I'm only guessing here...but because they couldn't activate the mine field until the last mine was in place...I'd suggest the detection field for replication covered the whole area of the field. Therefore a mine at the very end would be able to replicate a lost one at the other end, & once one is abck in place...it wouldn't take long at all before the whole field was back in action

If they could replicate any mine from any position it would kill off my idea about an explosion in the middle.

If it was like StarGate they could just open the wormhole :p

If it was like StarGate they could just open the wormhole :p

God I miss Stargate. When I'm finished my VOY run through, I think its time to revisit SG-1, SG-A, & U again. I've only watched through them once, but god was it good!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I'm sure the dominion tried several methods before they finally figured out how to disable the self-replication. DS9 has so many great episodes, if i want a laugh i can pop on Little Green Men, if i want something serious i go for In The Pale Moonlight. Too many to mention if i'm looking for battle scenes, just so long as it involves the Defiant!

• Advertisement

I'm sure the dominion tried several methods before they finally figured out how to disable the self-replication. DS9 has so many great episodes, if i want a laugh i can pop on Little Green Men, if i want something serious i go for In The Pale Moonlight. Too many to mention if i'm looking for battle scenes, just so long as it involves the Defiant!

It really is the best of them for me. Even the episode names just make you wanna watch it again. 'Tears of the Prophets', 'Rapture', 'In Purgatorys Shadow', 'By Inferno's Light' etc etc. Masterful stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

if i want a laugh i can pop on Little Green Men,

Am I the only one who hated the "funny" episodes and characters such as Quark?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I think Stargate was better at poking fun at itself.

There were some amusing eps of Star Trek, A fistful of Data's, Little Green Man etc, but SG! Window of Opportunity was one of the better versions of Sci-Fi poking fun at itself. There were genuine laugh out loud moments in the programme

Probably not but I would expect some paid off Nausicaans to visit you representing one Mr. Quark.

Quark was a fantastic character though, a cornerstone of DS9. How you can't like him does not compute!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Quark was a fantastic character though, a cornerstone of DS9. How you can't like him does not compute!

The ep with quark and Odo and the transceiver was excellent.

not to mention the Siege of AR558 his speech about the Huuumans

That is an excellent episode.

The Ascent. Quality episode.

Everything Quark has been in has been brilliant for me, I thought he was fantastic. When he became Lumba though, thats pure brilliance :D

The Ascent. Quality episode.

Everything Quark has been in has been brilliant for me, I thought he was fantastic. When he became Lumba though, thats pure brilliance :D

Tempted to have a Quark episode run through over the weekend now :D

"Trials and Tribble-ations", great episode but the ending showing Quark covered in Tribbles just cracks me up.

'In Purgatorys Shadow', 'By Inferno's Light'
    That 2-parter was pure class!

My favourite Quark moment was him giving Garak some rootbeer

Garak: It's vile!
    Quark: I know...
    Garak: It's so bubbly and happy!
    Quark: Just like the Federation.
    Garak: Disgusting!
    Quark: You know what the worst part is? If you drink enough you actually start to like it!
    Garak: It's insidious! <pause> Just like the federation!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think you'll find he said "Humons." :p

Humaahhnns.

I liked Voyager but there were times when you had to wonder what the writers were thinking. Remember Janeway as a governess in some holodeck program? How many fans do they think they share with Jane Austin? The Fairhaven and Captain Proton episodes were pretty poor too (facepalmed at Harry's eagerness to play the lame sidekick). The only good comedy moments were pretty much all the Doctor's! His exchange with Andy Dick as the other EMH on the Prometheus was brilliant, as was his exchange with the 'manifestation of fear' character. Voyager only came into it's own in the last couple of seasons when there was more action and more Borg. It was as if Christopher Walken came in and said "I gotta have more Borg!" and thus the series got all the more interesting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

yeah but to do that they had to completely neuter the Borg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Ya the Doctor was pretty much the comedy relief, I suppose. But other characters had their moments too. Tuvok could be funny in a vulcan way, and Seven's struggle with human relationships ( breaking her date's shoulder in one ep for example) was funny.
    did they really neuter the borg though? I mean, they are still a treat, maybe not so much to the alpha quadrant anymore, but I wouldnt say they have been turned into puppy dogs either. They are my favourite bad guys.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

1 borg cube v the alpha quadrant @ wolf359 = borg loses, barely

then voyager just swans on through the borgs home turf winning fights and kicking ass all by the power of janeways stern glare

then voyager just swans on through the borgs home turf winning fights and kicking ass all by the power of janeways stern glare

But in fairness, Voyager had Seven of Nine, slight advantage over an Alpha Quadrant station that was unprepared and had little or no info on the borg.

anyway, I just think they were cool.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The Borg didn't lose at Wolf 359. They hammered Starfleet, and were only stopped at Earth because of the sleep command sent by Data via Locutus/Picard. And when they attacked Earth the next time, they did massive damage to the defense fleet, even if they were stopped by Picard/Locutus again.

But your right about them ruining it in Voyager. Oh no, a tactical cube! Yeah whatever, just send a virus, or beam a torpedo over, or let us pretend to get assimilated and sneak abord :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They did tone down the borg's power somewhat, but they were very careful about cubes if I recall.

Not once in the seven seasons does voyager actually take on a cube and win. It's always a smaller vessel, or they fled.... or they used the delta flyer to sneak around and stuff. It never got ridiculous. And they had Seven and the Doctor which were pretty huge advantages.

I mean, a fleet of vessels got annihilated by a cube several times in the TNG era....and one man was all it took to bring those cubes down. Picard did neuter the borg somewhat too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Don't get me started on the Delta Flyer!
    I mean why have design teams, for new ships, when Paris and Tuvok can create the best attack shuttle ever in the holodeck

I suppose they had to find ways for Voyager to sneak around the Borg since if they wrote in a straight up conflict, Voyager would be destroyed/assimilated, end of series. The only direct conflict was the series finale with the future technology. (Great satisfaction in seeing a single torpedo destroy a cube, but always annoyed me that they let the borg scan the armour and reduce it to less than 50% integrity before they fired)

I think if they ever wrote a new Star Trek series, I would love to see a story completely removed from the federation and my idea was a story about how a federation-like society starts experimenting with cybernetic enhancement implants and slowly over the course of time, with seemingly logical steps in advancement of the new technology they become the borg, with some kind of protagonist(s) who sees what's happening and tries in vain to stop it. Would be a much darker series and a welcome new direction, but I don't see them ever willing to take the plunge on a new series again...

The Borg did seem to get heavily neutered as Voyager progressed, but lets take the rose tinted specs off for a moment, that neutering did begin in TNG.

Hugh showed us another side to the Borg. Then again in Descent, we were almost rooting for them against Lore. In First Contact, the Federation was able to do heavy damage to a cube, where in TBoBW weapons were useless. It also introduced the Queen, the ironic 'mind' behind the hive mind :confused: Instead of one voice, one mind for the whole, it seems that voice isn't a collective, but the voice of a single Borg Queen.

So to be fair to Voyager, the sh1tstorm had already started before it got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I don't mind TNG neutering the Borg a bit. They invented it. The Borg started off as a mysterious and generally remained that way. How many did ships did they have? Mystery. Where do they come from? Mystery. Absolutely annihilated Klingon and Federation fleets in Best of Both Worlds with one cube.

The second battle went better because they were more prepared, but still outgunned.

Voyager gave them territories, fleets, trans-warp networks. Even with all that, they sucked. They could have conquered the galaxy, but didn't even barely touched the Delta Quadrant.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I don't mind TNG neutering the Borg a bit. They invented it. The Borg started off as a mysterious and generally remained that way. How many did ships did they have? Mystery. Where do they come from? Mystery. Absolutely annihilated Klingon and Federation fleets in Best of Both Worlds with one cube.

Well all we knew was they were headed our way, we wen't sure where they came from true, but it had to be somewhere in our Galaxy right? I couldn't be the Alpha Quandrant as we live there, it couldn't be the Beta Quadrant as the Klingons & Romulans are from there, it couldn't be the Gamma Quadrant as the Dominion is from there...so that left the Delta Quadrant...& Voyager is there :)

They did defeat Starfleet & the Klingons at Wolf 359 yes, but lest we forget, the Enterprise D also managed to destroy a very large Borg vessel {yes with the help of a Star but nevertheless, thats kinda my point}.
    The second battle went better because they were more prepared, but still outgunned.

Well the second battle did go better, Starfleet had time to develop better weapons etc. But why couldn't the cube adapt? They can adapt to phasers set to rotate to random frequencies, so why not ship weapons? Hmm...the neutering begins.
    Voyager gave them territories, fleets, trans-warp networks. Even with all that, they sucked. They could have conquered the galaxy, but didn't even barely touched the Delta Quadrant.

It was actually TNG that gave them transwarp capabilities...more neutering. As for why they didn't own the Delta Quadrant...well, space is big, plus I guess the storylines would have got a bit samey after a while. Borg episode, borg episode, borg episode etc etc

I thought the Borg had the potential to be far better than they turned out, I loved the mystery of Q-Who & The Best of Both Worlds...I guess I'm just making the point that the neutering began with TNG, whereas VOY gets a bad rap for it.

• Advertisement

ah ha!!! so not Voyager's fault!!! :P

Only messing.

Side bar, I love episodes of voyager with Q, especially the ep with Q junior!!!

"Don't you Aunt Kathy me!"

Advertisement