Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options
1276277278279280282»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh and I'm also fairly sure the marine biologist hugging Kirk as he transported would / should have caused a terrible accident if the Tuvix variety 🤣 but the tone of the film was so playable it absolutely snuffed out the part of my brain that might quibble at all.

But yes, next stop Final Frontier: I might take a break cos I think I'm gonna need all my energies to watch it. I've heard so much about that film, and to be fair some of it wasn't Shatner's fault at all. But oof, yeah gonna need to stir myself into watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,616 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah V, it's gonna test even the most hard line of Trek apologists really. It's got some decent bits....the Cybock & Trio exchange has some weight to it for instance. But it's got some serious cack in it too, dafuq with the Uhura dance for example.

To be fair, it seems Shatner's vision for the film was kinda stolen from under him with budget cuts etc. Though he also had some nuts ideas for it.

Thankfully, the TMP era ends of a damned high note with VI. Wonderful film, a real love letter to everything that came before it (and fittingly, what came after it for a long time too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Star Trek is full of "touching" beams. Tuvix involved a spliced flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah tbf, if the transporter can't handle a bit of skin to skin contact, how's it meant to not mangle your internal organs. Loads of instances in TNG and DS9 where people are seen beaming up carrying injured crew members and the like.

Post edited by Stark on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Handily, some Mormons called to the door earlier so I used some judo and Vulcan Nerve Pinch, and you're right, we had a riot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Trailer out for Prodigy season two. Can't sleep its too warm 😞

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I think if you watch no. 5 in the right frame of mind you'll be okay.

It's obvs the worst of the original cast movies but there is a lot of decent stuff in it and some good ideas. I'd suggest reading Shatner's Trek Movie Memories if you get a chance, it really gives you an idea what he was going for

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It is kinda funny how Shatner only even directed the thing in the first place 'cos he was jealous his rival-friend Leonard got two goes at a movie.

I don't doubt there'll be some little nuggets I'll enjoy - I always had a fondness for the Row-Row-Row campfire scene 'cos it gave the trio a chance to be themselves; it's interesting how often McCoy kinda got sidelined in the films just for the Kirk-Spock dynamic, when really the magic formula of TOS was the three characters circling each other, not Kirk & Spock alone. Maybe DeForest Kelly didn't have as large an ego as the other two and was happy to get pushed aside?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Kelly's age might have had something to do with it, he was ten years older tan Shatner and Nimoy. If I member right Shatner and Nimoy organised a disproportionate fee for Kelly in STVI because it was probably going to be his last acting job.

And looked every year of it, even in Voyage Home at a "mere" 66; that's a nice story though about VI and the others looking after him. It's funny how in the great TOS fallouts I'm always here of Shatner, Nimoy and latterly Takei, but never Kelley. Indeed he seemed the least interested in speaking publicly, or preferred to keep a low profile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

66 in the 80's though was so different than today.

Advertisement