Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

FYP :)

Hmm, food for thought anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

EnterNow wrote: »
    Winding down my VOY runthrough, I've got about 8 eps left and then I'm done. The show gets pretty ok by season 3, pretty good by season 4...but I have to say I enjoyed season 5 & 6 a lot. Season 7 has been lacklustre, but all in all, I'll miss it when I'm done.

Next...Space: Above & Beyond and then Stargate SG:1...let the good times roll!

Lt. Col. T.C. McQueen, badass.

Cossax wrote: »
    Lt. Col. T.C. McQueen, badass.

Seriously good show when it gets going, & what an ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Did I see Farscape posted there ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

SAAB is fcuking awesome.
    So pi$$ed they only did one series :(

• Advertisement

SAAB is fcuking awesome.
    So pi$$ed they only did one series :(

The star that shines twice as bright :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And that ending? I mean come on...give us some closure dammit :(

Interesting bit on the ending on the wiki page though. If only...
    Although sometimes perceived as a cliffhanger, this was the ending the producers chose when it was evident that the show was about to be cancelled. Even with this ending, the producers still planned a possible continuation in a second season, with T. C. McQueen returning to Earth to treat his injuries, possibly given an AI prosthetic leg,and meeting up with his ex-wife Amy. The "Wildcards" receiving a new female commanding officer who is disliked by everyone except Shane Vansen.

In interviews given by Morgan and Wong they state that they toyed with the idea of Wang being rescued by the same model of silicate that had previously tortured him but eventually decided if the show had made it to season 2 he would simply have been killed in action. Vansen and Damphouse would have survived their crash and would become prisoners of war then slavegirls at the Baachus resort/bordello seen in the episode 'R&R' before eventually rejoining the unit. The 58th would find themselves courtmartialed for leaking information to the enemy leading to the defeat of the massive offensive planned by Earth forces in the final few episodes but their punishment is simply to be sent back to the front. West's girlfriend would rejoin the fleet as a nurse and the war would end with a negotiated peace rather than an outright victory for either side. Instead of any triumphant parade the final scene would consist of the survivors simply drinking a toast to their fallen loves and comrades

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Off to read each episode synopsis...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

It's the 20th anniversary of DS9 today. Feel so old!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Something on Discovery about the origin or Star Trek now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Something on Discovery about the origin or Star Trek now.
    Thanks for the tip. Not too much new, but still interesting.

And my VOY runthrough is done. Starting from the very beginning, I only skipped the "Ah Koo Chi Moya" eps, all the "Q" eps, the boxing ep & perhaps one or two others. Watched the vast majority of them, & I have to say...I enjoyed it {again}.

Man that ending though, so disappointing! I'd have loved a few more shots of the homecoming, perhaps a fixed shot from the bridge of a slow descent through the atmosphere & a landing in San Francisco or something with hundreds gathering on the ground to watch.

To the journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've got back into my trek through Voyager the last couple of nights. Watched the last four episodes of Season Two last night and the three before that the night before. I wouldn't have been able to watch that many if I hadn't been enjoying it. S2 started really slowly but picks up towards the end. There's some good episodes in there and some more which sum up Voyager's problems as a show completely.

I really enjoyed Tuvix. With a few tweaks to the pacing so that they hadn't had to rush through the third act (which is where the meat of the story is) or so that it had been stretched over two episodes and I think that one could have gone down as an all-time classic episode.

Deadlock and The Thaw were both very solid. I enjoyed a lot of Resolutions as well, although the idea of Harry Kim of all people pushing for Tuvok to trust the Vidiians four episodes after he witnessed them ruthlessly murder everyone on his Voyager didn't seem very good continuity.

I enjoyed the Jonas arc culminating in Investigations although that's kind of what I mean in terms of summing up the problems of the show. They'd shown Tom Paris' growing disenfranchisment on Voyager - particularly manifested in his feud with Chakotay - which ultimately led to him leaving the ship and then it turns out that it was all a big act to flush out the traitor. And yet having this character having genuine problems intergrating is a much more interesting theme which really could have spanned the length of the show. As it is the arc ends and Paris goes vanilla again.

But then having done that and revealed that Chakotay wasn't in on the plot that would have been a really good opportunity to ask the question of how much the senior Starfleet crew really trusted the Marquis - even Chakotay. Yet that whole idea is tossed away in seconds as Chakotay acts annoyed at being left out of the loop by Janeway & Tuvok then it's never mentioned again.

Basics really annoyed me though. Janeway's whole attitude to Seska's message at the start of the episode - which even she said was likely a trap - was extremely naive and inconsistent with what we knew about her. Just the episode before she'd sacrificed herself and Chakotay rather than run the risk of letting the Vidiians get their hands on her crew and yet this week she was happy to put them all at risk to fly at warp speed into an obvious trap. Terrible writing.

But yeah, I'm enjoying it. Looking forward to cracking on with S3 this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Just watched 'Skin of Evil' again. Tasha's funeral is so bad. She was the head of security on the ship. Her team doesn't get to go to her funeral at all? So cliquey in the future!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭Lockedout

Just reading the Q continuum novel by Greg Cox -anyone ever read it or other Star trek novels? I'm a fan of the work of Peter David. The novels tend to overplay the good aspects of the characters. There is no "greyness" really in my opinion-character wise.

Kiith wrote: »
    And that ending? I mean come on...give us some closure dammit :(

Interesting bit on the ending on the wiki page though. If only...

What is SAAB??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Lockedout wrote: »
    What is SAAB??

Space: Above & Beyond. Well worth a look

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112173/

Space is littered with one series Sci Fi.. Bar Battlestar Galactica can you name a Sci fi series that went beyond season 1 and was good-the last decade? Outside of Trek-of course though, I was not a huge fan of Enterprise.

Space is littered with one series Sci Fi.. Bar Battlestar Galactica can you name a Sci fi series that went beyond season 1 and was good-the last decade? Outside of Trek-of course though, I was not a huge fan of Enterprise.

The same can be said of most genres, modern tv is largely rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Stargate SG1 was a brilliant show up until RDA left.

Im not sure if Buffy would be considered Sci Fi even thought they show it on SyFy channel. Again good up til about S5.

shows rarely sustain their quality past 4 or 5 seasons, which is a pity really.
    Star Trek is the exception to the rule really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Space: Above & Beyond. Well worth a look

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112173/

I remember seeing the pilot for that on Sky all those years ago and being quite impressed. It looked to have a serious budget behind it, shame it only lasted a season. I must try and see if I can find the rest of the first season somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

SarahBM wrote: »
    Stargate SG1 was a brilliant show up until RDA left.

Im not sure if Buffy would be considered Sci Fi even thought they show it on SyFy channel. Again good up til about S5.

shows rarely sustain their quality past 4 or 5 seasons, which is a pity really.
    Star Trek is the exception to the rule really.

Buffy season 6 was much better than 5. Yes, a few season 6 eps are ropey but the trio were great villains as they entertained. Glory was anything but entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Loved Space Above and Beyond, great show.

Kirby wrote: »
    Buffy season 6 was much better than 5. Yes, a few season 6 eps are ropey but the trio were great villains as they entertained. Glory was anything but entertaining.

Ok I take your point, but I hated the whole buffy spike thing. made me sick.

anyway, do shows deteriorate because they run out of stories and senarios or is it because some writers leave, and crews change, and actors too??? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Star trek: the true story is on discovery +1 at 9

Squ wrote: »
    Star trek: the true story is on discovery +1 at 9

damn UPC!!! I dont have discovery, or discovery +1!!!! aaaahhhhh!!!

*shakes fist*

Never took to Star gate Too many wood clearings for my taste! Are they repeating STNG anywhere ? Don't have syfi channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Never took to Star gate Too many wood clearings for my taste! Are they repeating STNG anywhere ? Don't have syfi channel.

Pick TV were showing them late last year, not sure about now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Are they repeating STNG anywhere ? Don't have syfi channel.

CBS Action, channel 148 on SKY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

SarahBM wrote: »
    damn UPC!!! I dont have discovery, or discovery +1!!!! aaaahhhhh!!!

*shakes fist*

It's OK, you didn't miss anything.

It was as they say, ****e...

Advertisement