Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

"Up The Long Ladder" is on now. Forgot how bad it was. Poor Colm Meaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Was watching ep 19 of season 2 I think, the one where Picard goes into the holodeck to live out his Dixon Hill fantasy and the computer keeps giving him violent criminals to contend with. The first hoodlum who came in, I thought, hmm for a bit part actor he's pretty good, actually wait, he's preternaturally good, he should be appearing in films given the subtle menace he exudes, then I recognised that he was possibly the same guy who plays Gowron? Also I think Picard and Luxwana Troi would have been good together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2621446/

poor tuvok. chekov makes admiral and he's still kicking around as commander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2621446/

poor tuvok. chekov makes admiral and he's still kicking around as commander

The prologue seems the typical non canon type entry. Yawn.
    Space and time have folded around several planets, effectively isolating them from any contact with outside worlds. And this phenomenon is not natural - someone or something is causing this to happen. This necessitates drastic measures; some of which are outside the Federation's normal jurisdiction.

For this, Admiral Pavel Chekov, head of Starfleet Intelligence, turns to Commander Tuvok, Voyager's former security officer and current head of the newly reorganized Section 31. Tuvok must put together a new covert, renegade crew - mostly outcasts and rogues - even criminals.

Its a dreadful attempt at creating anything remotely believable. Chekov, born in 2245, is still alive ten years after Voyager gets home in the year 2388 making him the ripe old age of 143. One hundred & fourty three years of age & not only is he still in active service, but he's also head of Starfleet Intelligence? Jesus Christ, what utter tripe.

There is no way in hell Tuvok, a man of true & proper ethical standing & a Vulcan for Christ sake, would head up Section 31. Violating established rules & protocols for their own end, this is not the posting for a Vulcan with long & meritorious career such as Tuvok. Again, basic stuff gotten wrong there.

Tuvok has to put together a band of mostly criminals & rogues for a top secret mission for a top secret organisation that nobody is supposed to know about? Yeah, sure. Though I'm sure this & my above points are 'explained' in the show itself. Why do non canon writers feel this need to constantly overly promote crew members, unite different characters across different shows, come up with lame plot devices etc. Its anorak indulgence at its best, though granted, not all of the non canon authors do this. Some of them are actually good.

I must dip my toes in this non canon writing lark, if the above is making it to tv like :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

...and I thought Shatner's ST books were bad. This looks like a slow-motion train crash.

For reference, by the time Bones appeared in Encounter at Farpoint he was 137 (from having a look at his Memory Alpha page) and I'm guessing he was in retirement for a while by that stage.

EDIT: I spotted this little gem in the same Memory Alpha article too
    In William Shatner's novels, McCoy is still alive and well in 2379 thanks to the use of artificial body parts, many of which he developed (he claims to be on his third heart, has a new set of lungs grown each month, and has around ten meters of cloned intestines inside him). He helps Julian Bashir remove a Borg implant from Kirk's brain, advising the young physician as to what to do due to his elderly condition, and is subsequently the first person Kirk sees upon regaining consciousness.

Which is taking him past 150.....these people really should know better.

• Advertisement

Ok, here goes. A snippet of my own imagination & an amateur attempt at something non canon:

Of all the ways to lose them, after all of the close calls over the years...a simple diplomatic mission. Will Riker wasn't one to wallow in melancholy, but this pain was unlike any he had faced before. It had been almost a year, and it still hurt like hell. At times he felt a part of himself was lost that day, along with what he loved so dearly.

Life on board the Titan hadn't changed much for the rest of the crew, but for her Captain, it would probably never be the same. As Riker sat in his ready room, his arm propping up his head on the desk...he gazed out at the stars streaking by. Out of his reflective trance, the door chime startled him:

"Come in." said Riker, fixing his seating position to something more befitting of a Captain.
    "Excuse the interruption sir, but can I have a moment?" Lieutenant Keesya had been assigned as ships Councillor on the titan now for the better part of eight months. She was Bajoran, & unlike the fiery stereotype Bajoran officer, Keesya was far more suited to a counselling role. She had grown up after the Cardassian Occupation of her homeworld, & as such didn't grow up with the passionate hatred of Cardassians & distrust of outsiders that Bajorans of more recent years tewnded to have.

"Of course Keesya, what can I do for you?" smiled Riker, as much as it pained him to smile.
    "Actually Sir, I came here to talk to you." "Captain, its been almost a year since Captain Picard & Councillor Troi were lost. I've seen how hard it is for you, to run this ship, to pretend life goes on. There have been times when you've seemed to cope with such a tragic loss well, and there have been times, like over the past few days, where you've practically isolated yourself in this room."

"Your point?" Riker pulled back defensively. Captain Riker could face down a board-room of hostile Romulans, or take on a Klingon twice his size...but nothing hurt more than someone else touching on the loss of Jean Luc and Dianna. It was like his pain, his suffering, and nobody else was allowed to have it.

"My point Captain, is that you don't need to go through this alone. You can speak to me any time. I hear also you've not been returning messages to your friends. Didn't Geordi try to contact you there last week?"

"I've been busy Councillor. This mission to the Tindyan colony is to negotiate an armistice which could end a very long & bloody war. I've had to learn ten different dialects of an already complex language, just to sit at the same table as the two parties. I don't have time to talk about my feelings" touted Riker in an unnaturally hostile tone.

Ok thats all I've time for, the school run beckons. But there you go, in a few short paragraphs I've killed Picard & Troi :D I havn't promoted anyone, there's no new enemy or wonder weapon & its a story on a seemingly more human scale. Picard & Troi were killed on a diplomatic mission by a solitary rebel militia. It was a needless, senseless death. No Borg, No Jem Hadar, no Admirals...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

More, more, more! :D

Kiith wrote: »

Oh you :p

Ah I just knocked that together mostly as I wrote it. Its nothing at all really, its a character we all know, facing the loss of two other characters we know. If I were to continue it on, I'd probably have Riker become more & more detached & preoccupied with the loss, possibly contemplating going on some kind of wayward non sanctioned retaliation mission, in a bid to bring those responsible of the deaths to justice.

I dunno, to me non canon frees you up to do almost anything you want. Canon stuff has set the framework for you, you can do anything within that frame. But a lot of it seems to be "Admiral Kim enlists the help of Admiral Janeway & Admiral Crusher to find the secret source of power thats been fuelling a fleet of unknown enemy ships that are able to attack at will" type rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I just saw the trailer for Renegades..

Oh. Dear. God. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Kiith wrote: »

Enternow's is actually decent. I thought we were trying to do things so bad they are funny aka Dr. McCoy being alive well past 150.

Perhaps something like Dr. Crusher having a child with Dr. McCoy when Beverly is 130 and McCoy something like 240.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

FGR wrote: »
    I just saw the trailer for Renegades..

Oh. Dear. God. :(

I havent seen a trailer yet but just read up the plot synopsis on IMDB and had a look at the cast. and I would like to echo what you have said.

Oh. Dear. God.

and

WTAF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

star_trek_into_darkness.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Love to see something done with Section31 but I'm thinking this isn't it...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ok, here goes. A snippet of my own imagination & an amateur attempt at something non canon:

Of all the ways to lose them, after all of the close calls over the years...a simple diplomatic mission. Will Riker wasn't one to wallow in melancholy, but this pain was unlike any he had faced before. It had been almost a year, and it still hurt like hell. At times he felt a part of himself was lost that day, along with what he loved so dearly.

Life on board the Titan hadn't changed much for the rest of the crew, but for her Captain, it would probably never be the same. As Riker sat in his ready room, his arm propping up his head on the desk...he gazed out at the stars streaking by. Out of his reflective trance, the door chime startled him:

"Come in." said Riker, fixing his seating position to something more befitting of a Captain.
    "Excuse the interruption sir, but can I have a moment?" Lieutenant Keesya had been assigned as ships Councillor on the titan now for the better part of eight months. She was Bajoran, & unlike the fiery stereotype Bajoran officer, Keesya was far more suited to a counselling role. She had grown up after the Cardassian Occupation of her homeworld, & as such didn't grow up with the passionate hatred of Cardassians & distrust of outsiders that Bajorans of more recent years tewnded to have.

"Of course Keesya, what can I do for you?" smiled Riker, as much as it pained him to smile.
    "Actually Sir, I came here to talk to you." "Captain, its been almost a year since Captain Picard & Councillor Troi were lost. I've seen how hard it is for you, to run this ship, to pretend life goes on. There have been times when you've seemed to cope with such a tragic loss well, and there have been times, like over the past few days, where you've practically isolated yourself in this room."

"Your point?" Riker pulled back defensively. Captain Riker could face down a board-room of hostile Romulans, or take on a Klingon twice his size...but nothing hurt more than someone else touching on the loss of Jean Luc and Dianna. It was like his pain, his suffering, and nobody else was allowed to have it.

"My point Captain, is that you don't need to go through this alone. You can speak to me any time. I hear also you've not been returning messages to your friends. Didn't Geordi try to contact you there last week?"

"I've been busy Councillor. This mission to the Tindyan colony is to negotiate an armistice which could end a very long & bloody war. I've had to learn ten different dialects of an already complex language, just to sit at the same table as the two parties. I don't have time to talk about my feelings" touted Riker in an unnaturally hostile tone.

Ok thats all I've time for, the school run beckons. But there you go, in a few short paragraphs I've killed Picard & Troi :D I havn't promoted anyone, there's no new enemy or wonder weapon & its a story on a seemingly more human scale. Picard & Troi were killed on a diplomatic mission by a solitary rebel militia. It was a needless, senseless death. No Borg, No Jem Hadar, no Admirals...

Meh....Riker is missing....swag :D

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Meh....Riker is missing....swag :D

I think I'm too old to know what that means :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Was Guinan ever "explained"? And what was the background between her and Q?

Not in canon anyway

Guinan and Q relationship was an interesting one, it would have been nice to know all the details but at the same time there was never really a need to know them so the curiosity made it that more interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Actually how did the El Aurian refugees end up all the way in the Alpha quadrant? Would they not also have told the Federation about the Borg threat?

Actually how did the El Aurian refugees end up all the way in the Alpha quadrant? Would they not also have told the Federation about the Borg threat?

I think Guinan did saw there were worse threats out there in some early episode but no details were given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

If I were running from a galactic terror and feared it enough to flee to the other side of the galaxy, I think that I might just give as much detail as possible to the people giving me refuge.

If I were running from a galactic terror and feared it enough to flee to the other side of the galaxy, I think that I might just give as much detail as possible to the people giving me refuge.

She did say the meeting had happened to early and there might be a possibility for some sort of contact after Q threw them into the patch of the Cube but adding it all together it just sounds like an over sight, or not even a planned explanation.

Didn't she say something like "Q set a series of events in motion, bringing your contact with the Borg much sooner than it should have come" which kind of hints that the El Aurians have their own kind of temporal prime directive thingy, they don't interfere in the natural progression of events.

Then in TBoBW, the Admiral states "We've known they were coming for over a year", suggesting based on intelligence, that Starfleet was aware of the Borg advance towards Federation space - possibly El Aurian intelligence?

As for what could the El Aurians tell Starfleet about the Borg, perhaps nothing they didn't already know?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wonder if she had any powers? When she and Q met, she raised her hands like she was able to repel Qs powers.

She stabbed him with a fork later though :D
    I think I'm too old to know what that means :o

You have it or you don't, and Riker had it :pac: It's unexplainable

IvySlayer wrote: »
    You have it or you don't, and Riker had it :pac: It's unexplainable

Oh I see now :o You never know, the loss of his mentor & his emzadees coupled with the weight of Captaincy could really test that swag :D

Oh I see now :o You never know, the loss of his mentor & his emzadees coupled with the weight of Captaincy could really test that swag :D

i still don't get it??

Or is it the swagger that you are talking about?

i still don't get it??

Or is it the swagger that you are talking about?

Yeah swagger/charisma/balls etc. In my little non canon scene Riker was portrayed as someone who was suffering a loss & all his previous charm etc was buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

A little off topic but given that the Dominion had weapons that were far more advanced than the Federation (USS Odyssey being the main example) would the Borg have faired poorly against them?

FGR wrote: »
    A little off topic but given that the Dominion had weapons that were far more advanced than the Federation (USS Odyssey being the main example) would the Borg have faired poorly against them?

I think the Ferderation caught up with the Dominion weapon tech wise after a while, the Odyssey was destroyed by a suicide attack...it was retreating. The Borg would have handled the Dominion easy enough I would think

• Advertisement

I think the Ferderation caught up with the Dominion weapon tech wise after a while, the Odyssey was destroyed by a suicide attack...it was retreating. The Borg would have handled the Dominion easy enough I would think

Was it not just that the shields were ineffective? And eventually the federation shields were sorted

Advertisement