Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Was it not just that the shields were ineffective? And eventually the federation shields were sorted

Yeah the Dominion had weapons that could pass through Fed shields, this was sorted early on though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

FGR wrote: »
    A little off topic but given that the Dominion had weapons that were far more advanced than the Federation (USS Odyssey being the main example) would the Borg have faired poorly against them?

The Borg would have adapted and crushed them. In that same episode, they were able to pound a Galaxy class but not destroy any of the shuttles :D

They were only able to destroy the Odyssey after a suicide attack. Wouldn't work against a Cube where it can still be functional even if 70% of it is damaged.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    they were able to pound a Galaxy class but not destroy any of the shuttles :D

I suspect the Dominion were under orders to allow the retreat of the shuttles & smaller craft for psychological reasons...as we've seen the female shapeshifter do in later episodes ;)
    They were only able to destroy the Odyssey after a suicide attack. Wouldn't work against a Cube where it can still be functional even if 70% of it is damaged.

I'd say they would have been able to destroy the Odyssey eventually in a conventional fashion...after all, its shields were useless. But the message of a suicide attack is a strong one.

I do agree re the Borg though, they'd simply have adapted & carried on with business as usual

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'd say they would have been able to destroy the Odyssey eventually in a conventional fashion...after all, its shields were useless. But the message of a suicide attack is a strong one.

Once again the firepower of a galaxy class was missing. 2 phasers it shot? This thing can shoot 6 photon torpedoes at once....

Watching Symbiosis atm, love that episode :D

• Advertisement

Once again the firepower of a galaxy class was missing. 2 phasers it shot? This thing can shoot 6 photon torpedoes at once....

Again though Capital ships are fairly useless against Bug Ships/Fighters...all it took was one Defiant Class ship to send a Negh'Var away with its tail between its legs ;)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Again though Capital ships are fairly useless against Bug Ships/Fighters...all it took was one Defiant Class ship to send a Negh'Var away with its tail between its legs ;)

So useless they deployed wings of Galaxy classes during the Dominion war!! Let's not forget it can seperate and the drive section can be a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

So useless they deployed wings of Galaxy classes during the Dominion war!! Let's not forget it can seperate and the drive section can be a beast.

Only one wing, the rest used in large scale battles seemed more of mass fleets with Galaxy Class starships included.

I kind of looked at them as Battleships before the Wing was used, one Galaxy and its support ships.

I didn't say they were useless period, but they have a time & a place. A wing of Jem Hadar attack ships is going to run rings around a Galaxy class ship though. But throw a Galaxy class up against a Gem Hadar Cruiser...well, that's where it'd shine.

They deployed a wing of Galaxy class ships in the Dominion Wars because it wasn't just a skirmish, it was a tactical battle with ranks/divisions set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Was it not just that the shields were ineffective? And eventually the federation shields were sorted

From IMDB.
    Damar: Sir, the station shields are holding.
    Weyoun: Impossible, Federation shields have always proven useless against our weapons.
    Gul Dukat: I've found it wise to never underestimate the Federation's technical skill - or Captain Sisko's resourcefulness.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Watched that ep yesterday along with a fair amount of DS9 over the weekend.

such good eps, In the Pale Moonlight, such a cracking episode along with Way of the Warrior

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Also as nerdy as it sounds, when Dukat (possessed) kills Dax and then becomes normal, the is a very definite intonation on where he says "you" in the "i never meant for this to happen to you".

Marc Alaimo, Andrew Robinson, Jeffrey Combs are just fantastic actors, DS9 was lucky to have them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

such good eps, In the Pale Moonlight, such a cracking episode along with Way of the Warrior

Way of the Warrior is fantastic. Everything gells together so well.

In other news, SyFy are repeating DS9 from the start in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Series 4 of Enterprise is on Pick TV atm. It's really excellent so far.

Enterprise ended before its time..it really was hitting its stride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I noticed that the other day, did they even start from season 1?

Syfy is starting Season 1 of DS9 on the 4th of March :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Syfy is starting Season 1 of DS9 on the 4th of March :D:D

In HD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

watching s3ep6 of tng, the one with leah brahms.. the holographic brahms

my god it's ****ing terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

watching s3ep6 of tng, the one with leah brahms.. the holographic brahms

my god it's ****ing terrible

"When you touch these engines you're touching me"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Why ? i love that episode picard doing a power slide in the enterprise what more could you want ?

Literally my life would be complete if I wrote something like that line and it made it to tv.

:pac: Christ, its rough viewing alright

La Forge comes off as a bit weird in that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Brilliant! Best photobomb ever. :D

599570_10151481258187708_1929690352_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

In relation to the Leah Brahms episode, the sequel also has a great line

Geordi: "It's not the way this may look"

Leah Brahms: "I called up a replay of the program and now I find that it's all about a fantasy plaything"

Leah Brahms: "I called up a replay of the program and now I find that it's all about a fantasy plaything"

Yeah janey, if ever there was a recording to password protect that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I'd say that was the first time anyone ever tried something like that in a holodeck ;)

Could be an interesting topic for another series to explore - the idea of the copyright of a human form / privacy implications of same.

Also, do they not have passwords for holodeck programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Goldstein wrote: »
    I'd say that was the first time anyone ever tried something like that in a holodeck ;)

Could be an interesting topic for another series to explore - the idea of the copyright of a human form / privacy implications of same.

Also, do they not have passwords for holodeck programs?

Well Geordi seemed to fall into the trap of just being lazy, with hilarious consequences! They should have a new Star Trek series with this scenario being the basis for an entire episode again because it was actually a pretty good character piece. Geordi is a complex character and has...issues.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

quark was renting out holograms of major kira for a while, wasnt he?

Advertisement