Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I recently ordered a complete set on VHS of the original series (All 3 seasons)

The ORIGINAL series is the best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Dude111 wrote: »
    I recently ordered a complete set on VHS of the original series (All 3 seasons)

The ORIGINAL series is the best!!

Why not the remastered Blu ray?:pac:

Disgusting,i dont want any remastered pieces of crap!!

I prefer THE ORIGINAL of things as they are the nicest icon7.gif (I am a PURIST)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I prefer THE ORIGINAL of things as they are the nicest icon7.gif (I am a PURIST)

Hope you have plenty of VHS head cleaner, your VHS player has auto-tracking, don't forget to rewind all your tapes, & enjoy muffled audio? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

boards must be pretty damn slow on your x386

• Advertisement

But these have been lovingly restored.

It needs to be seen to be believed how good the OG series looks now. :eek:

I dont care to see anything but the ORIGINAL RECORDING!!!!!!

Im sorry if that makes you upset..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I find the CG in TOS to be like that, I want to enjoy the original 60s version, not the arrogant imposition of 00s CG, it's like the Neo Classicists presuming to rewrite Shakespeare's plays to make them better according to their 18th century views on literature. I doesn't bother me too much but you know, it just takes away from the authenticity. I like sh1tty effects. TOS is genius anyway, even when it's bad.

I have to say I prefer the original TOS effects too, no matter how badly dated they are. The live action high definition though does look very very well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I dont care to see anything but the ORIGINAL RECORDING!!!!!!

Im sorry if that makes you upset..

I'm confused. How is the VHS "the original recording"? It's surely just the oldest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hi guys - I have a ball of the DVD's from the Star Trek Fact Files that were out about 8 years ago or so. I'll dig out the exact numbers if anyone is interested in them - quite a few of them not even opened - I'm guessing I have about 50 or so of them...

Free to a good home - i'm near Carlow.

Reminder pic!
    185FEB2010.jpg

i'm *in* carlow

are they episodes on dvd?

I find the CG in TOS to be like that, I want to enjoy the original 60s version
    EnterNow wrote: »
    I have to say I prefer the original TOS effects too, no matter how badly dated they are. The live action high definition though does look very very well

The Bluray version has both the original and remastered effects via seamless branching. You just pick which version you want to watch.

i'm *in* carlow

are they episodes on dvd?

Yeah all TNG iirc - I'll dig them out tomorrow, and get a list of them together! But definitely a couple of the movies in it too!

ill take them, or as many as you're willing to part with anyway

will you be around carlow town during the week?

ill take them, or as many as you're willing to part with anyway

will you be around carlow town during the week?

You're welcome to them all. - I have all the series 'stored elsewhere', shall we say! ;)

Yeah i do be in and out of town fairly regularly. Live in Castledermot. Give you a shout there tomorrow afternoon with what's in it!

ah, i was just in castledermot for the last two days :) could have been handier

grand so send me a pm the day before or a few hours before you think you'll be around, no rush anyway. thanks.

I want to enjoy the original 60s version, not the arrogant imposition of 00s CG
    Exactly buddy... Who the hell are they for changing it and making it look like WHAT THEY THINK it should look and sound like!

My VHS set is analogue and looks/sounds exactly like they did when i watched them in the 80s and earlier..... I love them....They look/sound quite good!

Exactly buddy... Who the hell are they for changing it and making it look like WHAT THEY THINK it should look and sound like!

My VHS set is analogue and looks/sounds exactly like they did when i watched them in the 80s and earlier..... I love them....They look/sound quite good!

You do realise that the Blu Ray releases due to their higher resolution, are closer to the original studio recording than anything else? The newer effects can also be switched off as mentioned above...

EnterNow wrote: »
    You do realise that the Blu Ray releases due to their higher resolution, are closer to the original studio recording than anything else? The newer effects can also be switched off as mentioned above...

There is no point. They will never know the visual and aural enjoyment.

I have no doubt that Gene Roddenberry would have approved of the Blu rays.

• Advertisement

The HD polish of The Best of Both Worlds is getting a one-night-only cinema release...

:eek:

....in America only....

:(

....when I happen to be on holiday in Las Vegas

:cool:

http://www.fathomevents.com/#!star-trek-best-of-both-worlds

mad muffin wrote: »
    There is no point. They will never know the visual and aural enjoyment.

I have no doubt that Gene Roddenberry would have approved of the Blu rays.

Of course he would have done. All the HD conversions have done is bring out the quality that they were originally shot in and which has previously been hidden because of the technical limitations of standard definition.

They look fine to me in SD,always have icon7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

They look fine to me in SD,always have icon7.gif

So settle for fine then.

Don't claim that it is superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Does anyone else hate Jake Sisko as much as I do? He was....ok.....during the first few seasons, but his whole writing career thingy I never got.

it's not just you

Jake never bothered me. They needed to break away from the token kid who was more intelligent than the adults type thing. They broke away from everyone wanting to be in Starfleet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They also, consciously in my opinion, gave most of the characters in DS9 jobs we could relate to. Writer (Jake), Bartender(Quark), policeman(Odo), teacher(O'briens wife).

And tinker, tailor, soldier and spy.....although they were all Garak. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Yeah, by assigning everyone non Starfleet jobs, they show that the Federation ideal is not ubiquitous even within the Federation boarders (and protectorates).
    There is money, crime, gambling etc. Earth and the core planets may be paradises but "out on the rim" the rules of society are a bit more relaxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Wesley got there first though.

Jakes writing thingy is just hard to believe...

Advertisement