Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Jakes writing thingy is just hard to believe...

And a child navigating a ship at over the speed of light through three dimensional space isn't? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

EnterNow wrote: »
    And a child navigating a ship at over the speed of light through three dimensional space isn't? :P

I prefer Wesley to Jake, there I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I like Jake a lot. I think he's a very well written and well acted character. Cirroc Lofton had great chemistry with Avery Brooks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sovereign121

Jake didn't bother me all that much, what did disturb me slightly was all that hugging and kissing between him and Ben, it just look awkward and over the top on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Jake was a good character and making him a writer opened up more plausibility in him being the reporter for the paper during the Dominion DS9 occupation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Jake didn't bother me all that much, what did disturb me slightly was all that hugging and kissing between him and Ben, it just look awkward and over the top on screen.

Really? I thought it came across well. They had just lost their wife/mother and I think it showed how much they cared for each other.

Nicely contrasted with Picard and keeping everyone at arms length (not a criticism of the character).

I love the Sisko family to be honest. They just came across as a close, loving family. Even throwing Dax in there as an almost aunt to Jake. I still like the moment in The Visitor where Dax is looking after Jake.

Just watching The Loss there

Bitch Troi is so much better than regular Troi :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I have been slowly getting my wife to watch Trek and anything (and I mean ANYthing) that focuses on Troi has her jumping for the remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Some of her episodes are atroicious.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I have been slowly getting my wife to watch Trek and anything (and I mean ANYthing) that focuses on Troi has her jumping for the remote.

Wait till you show her "drunk" Troi in First Contact :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Just watching The Loss there

Bitch Troi is so much better than regular Troi :P

I wonder did Riker ever think of a menage a troi? Sorry, I can't stop myself.

I don't have time to be looking at Troi talking about now not being the time to worry about the time, as they don't have the time

Every time I watch DS9 again, I dislike Jadzia less and less. Curzon did this..Curzon did that...one of my previous hosts....gets tedious after a while. No matter what happens in the universe seems like Jadzia has a host that was connected to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

She can be annoying at times and most episodes that revolve around her I tend to skip but she has her moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Every time I watch DS9 again, I dislike Jadzia less and less. Curzon did this..Curzon did that...one of my previous hosts....gets tedious after a while. No matter what happens in the universe seems like Jadzia has a host that was connected to it..

Surely you mean you like her less and less.....or dislike her more and more. :P

Kirby wrote: »
    Surely you mean you like her less and less.....or dislike her more and more. :P

Whatever :pac:

In Season 1 there's an episode where Curzon Dax is accused of murder but she and Sisko argued that Jadzia and Curzon are seperate entities so Jadzia could not be convicted with crimes done by previous hosts

Yet in Season 2 she wants to help Kang, Kor and Koloth kill the Albino cos Curzon took a blood oath and was Kangs son godfather

Make up your mind like :confused:

I don't want you to think I'm picking on you but I cant resist :D

In Season 1 there's an episode where Curzon Dax is accused of murder but she and Sisko argued that Jadzia and Curzon are seperate entities so Jadzia could not be convicted with crimes done by previous hosts

She's not legally bound.......
    Yet in Season 2 she wants to help Kang, Kor and Koloth kill the Albino cos Curzon took a blood oath and was Kangs son godfather

But she is honour bound. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

That's not really correct. Sisko argued that they were seperate. Jadzia didn't argue at all and seemed to accept that she would die in order to protect the General's memory.

She could have easily told the truth herself, that Curzon was shagging the General's missus.

Yes and she wanted to protect the memory of the general knowing that she could die.
    Make up your mind like :confused:

She did and was consistent both times. She followed up on an obligation that Curzon made. Sisko is also consistent in that he didn't feel Curzon's obligations were Jadzia's.

Jadzia as a character has issues. It's obvious the writers didn't know what to do with her early on other than being the science officer and Sisko's friend. In fact they really had an issue in that they needed to flesh out Curzon as a character in order to show the difference in joined Trill's but couldn't flesh out Jadzia for ages.

Also I don't think it's unrealistic that her previous hosts have met other important people. She never met Spock until she went back in time though. I mean who hasn't met Spock!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Watched Insurrection and Nemesis last night. my god Nemesis could have been so much better if it was half an hour longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

SarahBM wrote: »
    Watched Insurrection and Nemesis last night. my god Nemesis could have been so much better if it was half an hour longer.

And had a different script.

• Advertisement

And plot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

and didn't exist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

And didn't have a dodgy Picard clone.

And didn't have a dodgy Picard clone.

don't think that we can really blame Tom Hardy here. I thought that he did well, considering what the script called for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

don't think that we can really blame Tom Hardy here. I thought that he did well, considering what the script called for

Plus, given the size of the man now he'd probably kick the living crap out of you

Thank god the reboot happened, or else they might have made another one, with the whole Data thing.

I miss Data :(

Would a Data vs Lore thing of worked better? I know Data deactivated him, but plot wise, Lore making a back up of himself somewhere could be plausible :P

Hugh Borg Vs Collective would have worked frikken awesome

Seven of Nine V Locutus! :)

• Advertisement

SarahBM wrote: »
    Seven of Nine V Locutus! :)

I hope that's tongue in cheek :P.

I liked jeri ryan and thought seven was a great character but her story was told to be honest. She got a bunch of screen time and character development. Besides, the TNG snobs would have revolted if she ended up being in a movie.

And regarding Nemesis, the problem was a director. You don't ask somebody who doesn't "get" or like trek to direct it. The story in its broad strokes is actually quite a good one....it's very trek. But it was put together poorly. That all stems from the director. A trek person would have been able to look at the screenplay and say "We need to change this and this. A buggie? Not a chance...." etc. etc.

Advertisement