Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

War is the engine of invention which is why in benefitted the Fed.

Also think that while the Klingons/Romulans are essentially one planet (with colonies)
    The Fed is hundreds of planets with the population, resources and ideas that that number of people bring to the table.

People would view the Fed as weak as its very much a ask a question first and shoot later when the rest are generally the other way around, however it is seen that when needs to be the quantum torpedos are taken out and played with!!

Also speaking of Insurrection, probably one of the best and cheesiest moments in star trek ever is Riker flying the Enterprise with a bleeding joystick!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cossax wrote: »
    the replacement/destruction of the older and underpowered ships, gaining combat experience and the relative decline and destruction of the Klingon and Cardassian Empires, presumably sanctions or surrender terms for the Breen and the damage done to the Romulans (who seemed to suffer disproportionately - late entrants needing hospital ships from the first entrant, their flagship's destruction and collapsing lines during the final assault on Cardassia).

On the Romulans, I would imagine as they Fed and Klingons had been involved in a lot of fighting and generallly being on the receiving end of some serious ass whoopings, the Romulans probably led the line in engagements to give the Fed and to a lesser extent the Klingons some respite.

I mean you can patch a ship up to a point but you cant keep doing it without seriously compromising operational capability, when the Romulans came in, it would have allowed them with their 100% capable ships to pound away at the Cardis and Jem'Hadar and distract the Dominion. Then the Fed/Klingons could have pulled a good chunk of the fleet away from border/patrol duties and get them fixed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

On the Romulans, I would imagine as they Fed and Klingons had been involved in a lot of fighting and generallly being on the receiving end of some serious ass whoopings, the Romulans probably led the line in engagements to give the Fed and to a lesser extent the Klingons some respite.

I mean you can patch a ship up to a point but you cant keep doing it without seriously compromising operational capability, when the Romulans came in, it would have allowed them with their 100% capable ships to pound away at the Cardis and Jem'Hadar and distract the Dominion. Then the Fed/Klingons could have pulled a good chunk of the fleet away from border/patrol duties and get them fixed up.

Perhaps. We're left to speculate as there's no definites but I thought between the Defiant having to try and shore up the Romulan line during the Battle of Cardassia and transferring hospital ships, it seemed to me like the Romulans either weren't all that effective (perhaps their lack of battle experience compared to the Federation and the Klingons) or were a bit of a paper tiger.

That being said, Sisko spoke of them as being one of the only powers left after the conflict when he met with Senator Vreenak so perhaps I'm reading too much into it.

I would say if the Defiant had been lost or even the Negh'Var you'd have seen the romulans send a few of their Warbirds over to help out.

The effect of having a instrumental leader/Ship/Tank/plane destroyed cant be understated

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It was explained a few times that the Romulan cloaking device was useless vs the Dominion wasn't it? So that's their main battle tactics gone.

The Romulans helped turned the tide and attacked and took 15 bases initially iirc, which took the pressure off the Klingons and the Federation. In Nemesis it was mentioned how Shinzon had numerous victories over the Jem'Hadar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Patrick Stewart responds to a non-acting question.

They say never meet your heroes...unless it's Picard! Always a role model on and off the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

That man is a living legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Goldstein wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart responds to a non-acting question.

They say never meet your heroes...unless it's Picard! Always a role model on and off the screen.

He mentions his father there. I actually watched that episode of "Who do you think you are?" last year with Patrick Stewart where he goes to France and retraces some of his fathers steps in the war....and finds out about his PTSD for the first time. It's amazing that after sixty years you can find out something about your father that completely changes your perception of him. It's clearly very emotional for him.

The BBC iplayer doesn't have it anymore but it can be found on youtube. It's a tough watch for sure, but any fans of Stewart should definitely give it a watch.

Watching a few of the Eps on DS9 over the last few days.
    One of the things i liked about the Jem Ha'dar were these 2 moments.

1) When Worf is in the prison camp, he fights the 1st until the end and ultimately through his desire to fight and (stubbornness) gets the 1st to yield. always annoyed me that the Vorta killed him :mad:

2) In the episode with the Iconian gate, after Worf and the guy (with the square jaw who's in lots of Scifi stuff) fight and the 1st kills him, Sisko doesnt kill Worf and the 1st says he will kill Sisko.

However once Sisko uses his arm to stop an attack on the 1st, you can see the respect in his eyes and everyone sails off into the sunset

On a side not, the line where Worf says "if he does carry out his threat, he will not live long enough to gloat" and Siskos reply is sheer comedic gold!

Also unrelated but O'Brien got some amazing personal episodes.
    The one where he was cloned, Tosc, captured by the Cardis and the Prison one which imo is his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Watching a few of the Eps on DS9 over the last few days.
    One of the things i liked about the Jem Ha'dar were these 2 moments.

1) When Worf is in the prison camp, he fights the 1st until the end and ultimately through his desire to fight and (stubbornness) gets the 1st to yield. always annoyed me that the Vorta killed him :mad:

It's a great moment because the Vorta kills him. That one scene says so much about who the Jem Ha'Dar are and who the Vorta are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Beefy78 wrote: »
    It's a great moment because the Vorta kills him. That one scene says so much about who the Jem Ha'Dar are and who the Vorta are.

When I played the Star Trek Card game, he was in every one of my Dominion decks. Loved the character and his quotes.

ST2E-EN03155.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

Hi Everybody. Does anyone have any recommendations for any good Voyager books? Books about the show. Non fiction. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

True, I get the technical reasons why it was so for the most part, but the likes of the Romulan picket line (TNG:Redemption) in particular makes little sense when the border is so big and the fleet task force so small

getting back to this Angel one was recently on CBS or Sci Fi or something and the Romulan task force consisted of 7 Battlecruisers.

Maybe the respective fleets were a lot smaller at the start of TNG but then the discovery of the borg etc made all alliances ramp up production.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

getting back to this Angel one was recently on CBS or Sci Fi or something and the Romulan task force consisted of 7 Battlecruisers.

Maybe the respective fleets were a lot smaller at the start of TNG but then the discovery of the borg etc made all alliances ramp up production.

Is that Redemption? Wasn't that a small Tal Shiar fleet, rather than the Romulan Star Empire?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

EnterNow wrote: »
    Is that Redemption? Wasn't that a small Tal Shiar fleet, rather than the Romulan Star Empire?

No, it was Angel 1. The USS Berlin was on the Federation side of the border with the Enterprise 48 minutes away (according to Data)

i think it was in the general lead up to the meeting between Tomalok and Picard because of the mysterious destruction of settlements along both sides of the border

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rewatching mr plinketts reviews of the star trek films

still brilliant, even if it's a bit strange that in his review of first contact he slams it for being an unimaginative bland action movie divorced from the main series and with the new star trek which he kinda liked for the same reasons.

The ep with tomolok and the decloaking birds of prey is on again, it's awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Eurgh, watching Way of the Warrior

Klingons are supposed to be feared warriors, but they are getting knocked out by Humans, Bajorans, Cardassians and a Trill easily. Hand to hand and phasers fights, they get a pasting.

Dukat and Garak are at the end of a hallway but Klingon after Klingon ran straight into their phaser fire, you'd expect better tactics.

For a legendary warrior race with their entire culture based around fighting and victory, it's disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Eurgh, watching Way of the Warrior

Klingons are supposed to be feared warriors, but they are getting knocked out by Humans, Bajorans, Cardassians and a Trill easily. Hand to hand and phasers fights, they get a pasting.

Dukat and Garak are at the end of a hallway but Klingon after Klingon ran straight into their phaser fire, you'd expect better tactics.

For a legendary warrior race with their entire culture based around fighting and victory, it's disappointing.

Haha :D

I always thought that watching the various Star Trek series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭Lockedout

Just read a novel where Jean Luc and Beverly are married and expecting a baby! Lets face it-there wont be another STNG film so the issue of canon vs non canon does not apply. He is 74 having this kid. Beverly I think is in her 50s. Greater than the sum is the novel..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Why would you think that with their medicine and technology that 70s would be considered old?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Life expectancy is like 150 or thereabouts in TNG (iirc), so it's not that odd. McCoy was 137 when he was on the Enterprise D.

Kiith wrote: »
    Life expectancy is like 150 or thereabouts in TNG (iirc), so it's not that odd. McCoy was 137 when he was on the Enterprise D.

Is it that high? McCoy could bearly walk at 137...

Yeah but he was 137, after medical treatments 100 years previously.

Also let's not forget the effect of relativity at high sub warp speeds

Also let's not forget the effect of relativity at high sub warp speeds

Not a factor in the ST universe I thought? Otherwise there's be huge relativistic problems given the distances/speeds...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is it that high? McCoy could bearly walk at 137...

I'm not sure where, but i thought someone mentioned 150 in an episode. As norrie rugger said though, not that hard to believe people born in the TNG era would live longer than McCoy's era.

Not 100% sure on either though.

Not a factor in the ST universe I thought? Otherwise there's be huge relativistic problems given the distances/speeds...

It's never confirmed or not. At high impulse there is no "warp field" so normal physics would apply

It's never confirmed or not.

Fairly sure in canon, the warp field creates a pocket of normal space time around the ship to prevent relativistic issues.
    At high impulse there is no "warp field" so normal physics would apply

True, but relativity isn't ever mentioned as a concern of space travel at impule or warp in Trek.

Fairly sure in canon, the warp field creates a pocket of normal space time around the ship to prevent relativistic issues.
    Exactly, warp field protects at warp speeds.

True, but relativity isn't ever mentioned as a concern of space travel at impulse or warp in Trek.
    I would be of the nature that unless something is mentioned specifically then normal rules apply. Why would it be a concern? They don't travel at high impulse too often.

• Advertisement

I would be of the nature that unless something is mentioned specifically then normal rules apply. Why would it be a concern? They don't travel at high impulse too often

You don't need to travel at high impulse very often, for effects to be noticed. If could affect one single mission traveling within a solar system, a crisis might be over before you get there even though you think you got there almost instantly or whatever. Again it's never come up in canon, therefore I see it as not a cause for concern or an issue that affects them

Advertisement