Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You're correct re impulse speeds actually:
    Since a ship traveling at impulse velocities (slower than, but approaching, the speed of light) is still traveling in the normal space-time continuum, concerns of time dilation apply,and it is written in the ST:TNG Technical Manual that high relativistic speeds are avoided unless absolutely necessary; impulse power is therefore customarily limited to a maximum of ¼ lightspeed. (Warp travel, on the other hand, is stated in the Manual to cause no kinds of time dilation effects.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_drive

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

'Our Man Bashir'

*shakes head*

Holodeck episodes are woeful.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    'Our Man Bashir'

*shakes head*

Holodeck episodes are woeful.

Agreed, but that's a season 4 ep right? Just endure it, & enjoy the brilliance that is S4 of DS9 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Barclay's holo fantasy episode was quite entertaining and Prof Moriarity's self awareness was slightly interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Both Moriarty episodes were great.

• Advertisement

Shaka, when the walls fell

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Shaka, when the walls fell

Temba, his arms wide.

I hate that episode. It always come near the end on when doing a complete rerun.

somuj wrote: »
    Temba, his arms wide.

I hate that episode. It always come near the end on when doing a complete rerun.

It's an amazing episode :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

"Zinda, his face black, his eyes red"

It's brilliant!!

Picard at his absolute finest. It's also pure Trek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I always loved that episode as well. Definitely one of Picard's finest moments (even if it sounds like nonsense to anyone that hasn't seen it before :P)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Al Capwned wrote: »
    "Zinda, his face black, his eyes red"

It's brilliant!!

My brother blew me away last year.

When this episode aired, it was bizarre that any species could possibly communuicate using metaphors to communicate, and yet they did.

Today, here on boards, if I were to post something ridiculous like..."There is no way evolution is a thing. I think we are all aliens and we used actually have two hearts", one of the fastest ways to communicate our feeling towards the comment is...

picard-facepalm.jpg

And If I post something to upstage another poster deliberately, another poster might add the following...

Screen_shot_2009-09-15_at_8.57.03_AM.png

Without the context, these pictures (especially the second one) make absolutely no sense whatsoever. The fact that we all know the context means that these pictures make perfect sense.

Darmok may have used one of the most unusual ways of communicating that we had ever seen on Star Trek, but 22 years on, visual metaphors are everywhere :) Not so alien now!

Myrddin wrote: »
    Agreed, but that's a season 4 ep right? Just endure it, & enjoy the brilliance that is S4 of DS9 :)

And now they ruin Kurn :/

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

And now they ruin Kurn :/

Awesome episode. Very Klingon. Ending was nonsense tho.

Itchy uniform. Never liked the look of them myself.

Going to live with a friend of our house. Where was this friend all these years. Didnt see any of them come to aid in the council chambers.

I hate this episode . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Temba, his arms wide.

I hate that episode.
    Very Klingon. Ending was nonsense tho.
    I hate this episode . . .

Kirby, His head in his hands......

Quark: Did you hear? Keikos gonna have another baby!!

Worf: NOW?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Quark (Very drunk): "I just shared a bottle of kanar...with Damar"

0S8bemO.png

"that rhymes!"

Dr Crusher was born on the moon, did not know that!

Dr Crusher was born on the moon, did not know that!

A lunar schooner!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Was watching the TNG ep with PAris in it last night, he acts the exact same way as the cadet as he does in VOY, but its still a good ep

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Was watching the TNG ep with PAris in it last night, he acts the exact same way as the cadet as he does in VOY, but its still a good ep

Thought I heard somewhere that he was actually supposed to be the same actual character. But the producers realised that they'd have to pay royalties to the episode writer every time they used Paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Actually, wasn't that the same reason for T'pol in Enterprise not being T'pau as initially intended?

So Odo goes to his homeworld to face judgement, if the founders were smart, they would of replaced Odo and spied on DS9 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Odo was more important than ten ds9's. More important than the entire alpha quadrant. The female said as much.

Besides.....can you imagine pretending to be as surly as Odo 26 hours a day? It would drive anyone mental, changling or not. The one who impersonated Bashir had a lot more fun. Darts with Colm Meaney! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Just rewatched the brilliant The First Duty, hadn't seen it for a few years. Picard's anger is so palpable when he calls Wesley to his ready room having discovered what he and the rest of Nova Squadron have tried to cover up. Edge of the seat stuff even now. These are among the countless episodes that demonstrate why we're still talking about the show 20+ years later.

Goldstein wrote: »
    Just rewatched the brilliant The First Duty, hadn't seen it for a few years. Picard's anger is so palpable when he calls Wesley to his ready room having discovered what he and the rest of Nova Squadron have tried to cover up. Edge of the seat stuff even now. These are among the countless episodes that demonstrate why we're still talking about the show 20+ years later.

That music comes into my head when he starts ranting at Wesley :D

The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

So Odo goes to his homeworld to face judgement, if the founders were smart, they would of replaced Odo and spied on DS9 :P

That would have been a good idea, even could have done something like capture him and replace him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

After looking at the First Duty speech by Picard...i had to wonder. How would he react if he found out how Sisko's acted when bringing the Romulans into the war with the Dominion? And what kind of decisions, if any, would he have made in his place.

I know he's broken the rules plenty of time before, but only for the right decision. This was definitely a greater good type thing, but still quite shady and deceitful.

Advertisement