Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i don't like the way Garak 'straightened up' after his first few appearances. I liked his cunning campness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i don't like the way Garak 'straightened up' after his first few appearances. I liked his cunning campness.

I dont think he ever lost it, it was always there sometimes a little less obvious but right up until the end.

Andrew Robinson.. should have won an emmy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Something very familiar about Tasha Yar's funeral background

TashaYarXPDesktop.jpg

Windows XP

69200.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I saw Kate Mulgrew in an episode of Cheers earlier. She must have been much younger than the Voyager days, but she looked (and sounded) almost exactly the same, even the hair was similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/0IkGI

Chief O Brien at work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/0IkGI

Chief O Brien at work

Brilliant!

The Negh'Var class in the mirror universe episode of DS9, it's monsterous. Is this the normal universe size too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I think that the chancellor's flag ship is a huge version but the there is a regular size also.

Klingons have history of making the same ship different sizes with the K'vort and B'rel birds of prey

I think that the chancellor's flag ship is a huge version but the there is a regular size also.

Klingons have history of making the same ship different sizes with the K'vort and B'rel birds of prey

True, but it was the flagship in both universes {Sisko actually said "Ah, the new Klingon flagship} when it arrived at the station

Exactly. There are shots where you see the flag ship and the regular together, it dwarfs the regular

• Advertisement

Exactly. There are shots where you see the flag ship and the regular together, it dwarfs the regular

But there's only one Negh'Var in those scenes....I think...

Found a good page about it:
    DS9: Shattered Mirror - In "Shattered Mirror" we can see Regent Worf's flagship, the Mirror Universe version of the Negh'Var. Although there were admittedly scaling errors with "our" Negh'Var too, the Mirror version was systematically and quite purposely scaled up relative to all other vessels, making this ship some 2 kilometers long, if we are ready to believe that. The Mirror Universe ship basically retains all the modifications made for the Negh'Var. But there are some additional differences that may help a little bit to justify that it is a lot bigger.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/neghvar.htm

I don't think I ever noticed the Klingon future ships in All Good Things were Negh'Var class :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

In relation to Kirk I think he is misrepresented in the cultural consciousness to some extent as a space cad. Of course there is that dimension to him but watching TOS he comes across as very tough to the extent that even the Klingons admire him in The Trouble with Tribbles. He's not the character in the new ST films that crams before the exam, in TOS when he says he was studious at star fleet there is plenty of reason to believe it, he's disciplined and very stern, perhaps unnecessarily so with his crew, for example losing his temper with Spock or Scotty. He's also a deeper character in relation to his speeches on political philosophy, spreading Federation style democracy compared to his portrayal in the ST films.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

That made me think actually, when it's mentioned in TWOK that Kirk reprogrammed the kobayashi maru in order to 'win', my impression was always that Kirk had the skill and knowledge to do this himself.

In ST2009, I got the impression he talked some nerdy friend into doing it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just after watching the season 6 DS9 episode "Valiant" and honestly, has there ever been a more unlikable crew than this shower?

From the god-complex, pill-popping kid that inherits the captaincy, to the complete biatch that is his first officer (seriously, almost every line and scene with her in it is her being a smug condescending wench - except when she is forced to take command, at which point she freezes!) to the cringe-worthy "we can do anything!!" scene with them chanting "Red Squad" over and over!

Awful episode. It was an interesting idea but very badly executed!

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Just after watching the season 6 DS9 episode "Valiant" and honestly, has there ever been a more unlikable crew than this shower?

From the god-complex, pill-popping kid that inherits the captaincy, to the complete biatch that is his first officer (seriously, almost every line and scene with her in it is her being a smug condescending wench - except when she is forced to take command, at which point she freezes!) to the cringe-worthy "we can do anything!!" scene with them chanting "Red Squad" over and over!

Awful episode. It was an interesting idea but very badly executed!

Pretty sure that's the direction they {the writers} were going for though no? You're meant to hate this crew, they're arrogant, inexperienced, ignorant, brash, & way, way outta their depth. I kinda liked the episode, it wasn't amazing by any stretch, but it was decent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Myrddin wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's the direction they {the writers} were going for though no? You're meant to hate this crew, they're arrogant, inexperienced, ignorant, brash, & way, way outta their depth. I kinda liked the episode, it wasn't amazing by any stretch, but it was decent

I'd love to see behind the scenes to that one. The Admiral at Starfleet command that green-lighted a bunch of cadets to take command of a warship and his attempts to cover up the disaster it turned out to be. There's a modern tv show crying out to be made based in our solar system revolving around Starfleet command but involving events that could be happening anywhere.

Goldstein wrote: »
    I'd love to see behind the scenes to that one. The Admiral at Starfleet command that green-lighted a bunch of cadets to take command of a warship and his attempts to cover up the disaster it turned out to be. There's a modern tv show crying out to be made based in our solar system revolving around Starfleet command but involving events that could be happening anywhere.

It didn't happen that way, the ship was a training vessel, manned by a proper crew...with Red Squad along for training. The ship was attacked, & presumably a lot of the actual crew were killed. Just before the Captain died, he put the Red Squad leader in charge, & he himself with his new found authority, promoted other members of Red Squad as needed. Still just as unbelievable though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

It didn't happen that way, the ship was a training vessel, manned by a proper crew...with Red Squad along for training. The ship was attacked, & presumably a lot of the actual crew were killed. Just before the Captain died, he put the Red Squad leader in charge, & he himself with his new found authority, promoted other members of Red Squad as needed. Still just as unbelievable though

But why have a front line warship as a training vessel? And why assign a combat mission to a ship with only 7 officers? The crew compliment of a Defiant class ship is around 50 according to Mem alpha. The priority should have been getting the ship back to Fed space, refit, rearm and re-crew her with qualified personnel and have a front line warship ready to fight instead of trolling around enemy territory

But why have a front line warship as a training vessel?

Don't ask me, I didn't write the ep :o If I were to guess, I'd say Defiant class ships were built very easily & very quickly given their much smaller size & makeup. Therefore, if you're training Elite cadets in very specific combat roles, why not use a combat vessel.
    And why assign a combat mission to a ship with only 7 officers? The crew compliment of a Defiant class ship is around 50 according to Mem alpha.

Well it wasn't assigned a combat mission, it's initial mission was to circumnavigate the entire Federation over a three month period.
    The priority should have been getting the ship back to Fed space, refit, rearm and re-crew her with qualified personnel and have a front line warship ready to fight instead of trolling around enemy territory

I'd imagine that's what Starfleet would have expected them to do. But the cadet Captain had a complex, & asked of the crew "Do we really expect some other ship, with some other crew, to come back & finish the job we started" or words to that effect...meaning rather than doing the right thing, arrogance took over. They were shadowing a new type of Jem Hadar battle-cruiser, not exactly trolling...but were way outta their depth.

• Advertisement

Well it wasn't assigned a combat mission, it's initial mission was to circumnavigate the entire Federation over a three month period.

nope, they were given a mission to track and collect technical data about the battleship, that's how they ended up going toe to toe with it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I wished they introduced Sloan earlier, love the section 31 arc, wished we'd seen more of him...but....why did they give him a wife and kids though? Surely section 31 would only recruit people with no families, families would be a liability

nope, they were given a mission to track and collect technical data about the battleship, that's how they ended up going toe to toe with it

They, as in the original crew, or they as in Red Squad? I'd have to double check, but I'm 99% sure the mission to get intel on the battleship wasn't issued to the Red Squad crew

Nor were they ordered to engage??

They, as in the original crew, or they as in Red Squad? I'd have to double check, but I'm 99% sure the mission to get intel on the battleship wasn't issued to the Red Squad crew

They were supposed to be operating under Radio Silence, which was why the red squad 'captain' didn't reply to say that the 7 supervisory officers were dead.

They were supposed to be operating under Radio Silence, which was why the red squad 'captain' didn't reply to say that the 7 supervisory officers were dead.

The mission was for the regular crew, not Red Squad. Starfleet weren't aware that the regular crew had been killed, there's no way the mission would have been given the go ahead otherwise. Further, there was no order to engage the battleship either...both were undertaken by the Captain himself
    Early in the war, Starfleet ordered the Valiant to track and collect technical data on a previously unidentified Jem'Hadar battleship that was believed to be operating in the area. However, because the Valiant was operating under complete radio silence and limited to a speed of warp 3.2, Starfleet was unaware that the ship's officers were dead, and Watters decided to undertake the mission.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Valiant_(NCC-74210)

You can still have radio silence and come home.
    How did Jake a Nog survive? Did they get into an escape pod?

Wondering because it is not as if escape pods have FTL capability, so who would pick them up?

You can still have radio silence and come home.
    How did Jake a Nog survive? Did they get into an escape pod?

Wondering because it is not as if escape pods have FTL capability, so who would pick them up?

I think the Defiant found them adrift in an escape pod no?

Yeah, you're right.

Amazing that the Defiant was able to find the one surviving escape pod that happened to have Jake and Nog (and that the Jem'Hadar ignored that particular one). Joys of TV huh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Escape pods send out distress signals. As for the Jem'Hadar.... Maybe they don't look to destroy escape pods. Better to let survivors limp home with stories of dread.

Advertisement