Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Goodshape wrote: »
    Perhaps a testiment to Data's lack of ego and ambition. He neither wanted nor needed a promotion.

That may be, but he'd made it as far as Lt. Cmdr & then stopped progressing for years, despite acting above & beyond all that time.
    Not sure there'd be an issue around clashing-ranks with Riker. The 1701-A had three captains on board at one point – Kirk, Spock and Scotty. Everyone knew their place.

True, good point. Maybe it was just to save confusion for newer viewers, not to have too much brass on screen...& keep it all as a nice even chain of command underlined to a certain point by rank.
    Troi did want a promotion, though. Isn't the point raised in the episode that she's doing this to prove that she can? Beverly also hold the rank of Commander.

Agreed, it was explained well enough in the episode if was Troi's own decision to do it, & do it for herself. Crusher was a commander too, & was the one who inspired Troi to take the plunge if I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

crazy to think that more time has passed between Encounter at Farpoint and now, than there was between Where No Man and Encounter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

crazy to think that more time has passed between Encounter at Farpoint and now, than there was between Where No Man and Encounter

i-m-old-o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I'm sure it's being posted before but anyway..

Anybody notice the upsurge in TNG in popularity and general internet fame in the last few years.

My guess is a lot of 20 somethings (myself included) and 30's are getting nostalgic for childhood memories where they only watched random episodes here and there and a movie or two and were "aware of it" more than anything, and are now watching the series through for the first time

My first exposure was First Contact.

I sort of wish we never got the TNG movies so early and their had being more of a gap (like the original series) as we could now in 2014 be getting the cast in their older age, instead of running into with franchise overkill with Nemesis in 2002 . They could have held off.
    They'd be taking advantage of the upsurge as well.

It seems like a glorious dream instead of the Abrams tricked out pony

And I'll leave it with a lovely little photo of the family recently...

BeU6uxyCAAAycWN.jpg

I can't believe how much Sirtis has changed. The rest have aged, rather well, but she just looks like a completely different person. She reminds me of Roxann Dawson/B'Lana Torres in that pic actually

dawson_19.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm tempted to do a run-through of TNG. Is the picture quality of the Blu-Ray set better than the Super-HD streaming of the episodes on Netflix? I'm assuming it must be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

who's that in the far right in that pic?

its not barclay is it?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

who's that in the far right in that pic?

its not barclay is it?

I had the same thoughts, was racking my brain, so I threw it into a google image search and I think it's Rick Berman.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm tempted to do a run-through of TNG. Is the picture quality of the Blu-Ray set better than the Super-HD streaming of the episodes on Netflix? I'm assuming it must be.

The blu ray will be far superior. Super HD content is still heavily compressed for streaming & won't compare to full uncompressed 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Super-HD streaming of the episodes on Netflix?

I'm pretty sure Netflix is streaming the original SD version of the show, rather than the new HD stuff they did for BluRay.

Unless they updated recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Adamantium wrote: »
    And I'll leave it with a lovely little photo of the family recently...

BeU6uxyCAAAycWN.jpg

For a second there I thought the patio heater was the Enterprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Myrddin wrote: »
    It's something I've wondered myself re Data. The only thing I can think of, is that as 2nd officer, Data was part of the command structure of the Enterprise. To promote him, would have meant he equaled Riker in rank, & in the chain of command, that could have complicated things.

Having 2 Commanders as first and second officer wouldn't confuse things at all imo. Data being restricted to Lt Commander is unfair on him too, he's second officer, science officer and Ops manager and has to refer to Troi as 'Sir'!

That's confusing :pac: Troi never bothered with a uniform for 80% of the series anyway :P

Another thing is Paris getting demoted to Ensign, then getting promoted again and screwing over Harry Kim the golden boy!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Having 2 Commanders as first and second officer wouldn't confuse things at all imo. Data being restricted to Lt Commander is unfair on him too, he's second officer, science officer and Ops manager and has to refer to Troi as 'Sir'

That's confusing :pac:

I don't mean confusing in a canon way, just for people watching the show. The bridge would seem like it was full of Commanders, esp as Lt. Cmdr is shortened to Commander anyway.

Data would have to salute Crusher too then wouldn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Goodshape wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Netflix is streaming the original SD version of the show, rather than the new HD stuff they did for BluRay.

Unless they updated recently?

Yeah this is what I mean. The stuff on Netflix is being upscaled I think. It's the same version that Sci Fi (or whatever channel TNG is on nowadays) show on their HD channel and it does look really good. Much better than my DVDs do. But it isn't the new HD stuff from the Blus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Goldstein wrote: »
    For a second there I thought the patio heater was the Enterprise!

or Frakes wearing Guigan's helmet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

wasn't the test part of allowing her to command a starship and confers more of a title of commander rather than a rank, Data would have passed the test also as it was a requirement of any officer who may be placed in command of a starship to have this.

I don't mean confusing in a canon way, just for people watching the show. The bridge would seem like it was full of Commanders, esp as Lt. Cmdr is shortened to Commander anyway.

Data would have to salute Crusher too then wouldn't he?

Technically, yes :pac:

Watching DS9 season 7, I'm surprised Worf didn't go gung-ho and try to hunt down and kill Dukat, any reasons why he didn't? I know it should've always been Sisko or Kira but considering what Worf did to Duras..

Was watching the TNG episode last night where Troi almost throws herself into the nacelle. Not a great episode in itself, but I always liked the ones where you got to see a different part of the ship, and the inside of the nacelle looked kinda cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

If only she had slipped

If only she had slipped

I'm sensing you're angry!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

getting back to the rank thing, in the bad ol' days of the USSR officers were put into specialities, and allowed attain rank through that. However the chief engineer would never be transferred into the command stream, so a Chief Engineer could theoretically out rank his commanding officer.

getting back to the rank thing, in the bad ol' days of the USSR officers were put into specialities, and allowed attain rank through that. However the chief engineer would never be transferred into the command stream, so a Chief Engineer could theoretically out rank his commanding officer.

We seen something like that in Season 1 of TNG, The Arsenal Of Freedom. La Forge, a hunior Lieutenant was left in command of the ship...& then there was a attack on the ship... Laf Forge wouldn't relinquish command to the chief engineer who outranked him, because as I understand it, when you're in command, you're in command....rank has no bearing on it in such a case.

PyWqg.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

So myself and the gf are moe than halfway through Voyager season 1 and she is really enjoying it, as am I.

The only episode she didn't like was the one with the Vidiians stealing Neelix's lungs.

Voyager is nearly 20 years old :eek: It's aged remarkably well tbh.

We also watched TNG Cause and Effect which she loved.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    We also watched TNG Cause and Effect which she loved.

This is one of my favourite eps of TNG, the "groundhog day" one!

We seen something like that in Season 1 of TNG, The Arsenal Of Freedom. La Forge, a hunior Lieutenant was left in command of the ship...& then there was a attack on the ship... Laf Forge wouldn't relinquish command to the chief engineer who outranked him, because as I understand it, when you're in command, you're in command....rank has no bearing on it in such a case.

I do think it's weird that Troi needed Worf, a person 2 ranks below her to open the door to the nacelles in that episode where the dude commits suicide.

In Genesis she is in command of the Bridge when Worf is on it

TNGs randomness is annoying, especially in Season 7 :D

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I do think it's weird that Troi needed Worf, a person 2 ranks below her to open the door to the nacelles in that episode where the dude commits suicide.

In Genesis she is in command of the Bridge when Worf is on it

TNGs randomness is annoying, especially in Season 7 :D

I'd have to check but perhaps in the nacelle episode she hadn't yet taken the Bridge Officers test, & by ep where she had the bridge, she had taken the test. Rank isn't everything, there'd be no need for a Counselor (essentially she should come under the Medical umbrella) to need access volatile areas of the ship. I'd say most of the crew, short of bridge officers & assigned crewman would find access restricted there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

This is one of my favourite eps of TNG, the "groundhog day" one!

Cause and Effect aired over year before Groundhog Day so if anything Groundhog Day is the Cause and Effect of films! :D It's in my top 5 too, endlessly enjoyable and intriguing ep.

I'd have to check but perhaps in the nacelle episode she hadn't yet taken the Bridge Officers test, & by ep where she had the bridge, she had taken the test. Rank isn't everything, there'd be no need for a Counselor (essentially she should come under the Medical umbrella) to need access volatile areas of the ship. I'd say most of the crew, short of bridge officers & assigned crewman would find access restricted there?

She was a Commander in that episode, she did use her power as a Counsellor to force open someones quarters iirc

Also ordered Pierce to be taken to the brig, and the security officers obliged!

• Advertisement

Tuvix...did Janeway have the right to kill Tuvix or did she simply correct a transporter accident?

The Doctor refused to do it, shouldn't he have ordered Janeway not to do it?

Advertisement