Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

But you could also make the argument that not reversing the accident was killing two people. Tuvix was one person. Tuvok and Neelix were two. Needs of the many and all that jazz......

I do feel it was a question that didn't have a right answer. You can really see both sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Kirby wrote: »
    But you could also make the argument that not reversing the accident was killing two people. Tuvix was one person. Tuvok and Neelix were two. Needs of the many and all that jazz......

I do feel it was a question that didn't have a right answer. You can really see both sides.

They were already dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It was wrong to kill him. The needs of the everyone (140 odd crew?) to not have to deal with Neelix outweighs the life of Tuvok I reckon

And Tuvix seemed a better character than either of them. It would finally forced some conflict into the crew, it was forgotten about im the next episode as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

They were already dead.

The real quandary with tuvix, is how that dreadful episode was made.

There are a few gems in voyager, but a turble lot of it I'd dire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Pretty damn funny imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Just an observation- why are the actors who play aliens in DS9 so damn good?

Stand outs- the guy who plays Kang and the Tavnian ambassador, Garak, Quark, Brunt, Gowron, Odo, Gul Dukat, Worf of course, and many others.

Not saying the actors who play human or humanlike characters are bad, but when one of these guys appears on screen, my attention is always on them. The actors who play Cardassians are particularly great. Dukat, for example, is played with just the right balance of sinister politeness and genuine benevolence.

Gowron hams it up, but those crazy eyes really make the character stand out, and that mildly restrained, mad voice is great too.

Anyway, I'm doing a run of DS9 and I'm loving it. Beforehand I ran through TNG and I feel that that was a good choice because I would have hated DS9 if I began with it! Watching TNG first makes you appreciate DS9 much more, imo

i think that they intentionally cast actors that could ham it up enough to combat potentially losing facial expressions in make up, then just gave them full permission to go all out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Just an observation- why are the actors who play aliens in DS9 so damn good?

Stand outs- the guy who plays Kang and the Tavnian ambassador, Garak, Quark, Brunt, Gowron, Odo, Gul Dukat, Worf of course, and many others.

Not saying the actors who play human or humanlike characters are bad, but when one of these guys appears on screen, my attention is always on them. The actors who play Cardassians are particularly great. Dukat, for example, is played with just the right balance of sinister politeness and genuine benevolence.

Gowron hams it up, but those crazy eyes really make the character stand out, and that mildly restrained, mad voice is great too.

Anyway, I'm doing a run of DS9 and I'm loving it. Beforehand I ran through TNG and I feel that that was a good choice because I would have hated DS9 if I began with it! Watching TNG first makes you appreciate DS9 much more, imo

I think they all just stand out in comparison to avery brooks' Shatner esque over acting ham

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

wpid-Saint-Patrick-Stewarts-Day.png

• Advertisement

Green really suits that uniform

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hrrrrmmmmmmmm just doing some thinking

Voyagers crew were able to enter the Q Continuum using some technobabble, they were able to use Qs weapons against them, all that information is stored in voyagers computers

Q gets pissed his son was about to assimilate Voyager, therefore the Borg would know how to get into the Continuum :eek:

'DON'T PROVOKE THE BORG'

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

The visitor, on sci fi at 7

As a whole I prefer TNG as it's the trek I grew up with but man the end if ds9 makes me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

As a whole I prefer TNG as it's the trek I grew up with but man the end if ds9 makes me sad :(

Makes me sad that they all met up in Vics to have their leaving party :mad::mad::mad:

I don't get the Vic hate. Quarks was always too small,noisy and busy for all the cast to be assembled there, in a 10-Forward manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

are there any tv shows on the way? would love a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just started watching Enterprise...really enjoying it.
    Big Star Trek fan back in the days but only watched a couple of eps of Enterprise due to my social life taking precedence over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Blazer wrote: »
    Just started watching Enterprise...really enjoying it.
    Big Star Trek fan back in the days but only watched a couple of eps of Enterprise due to my social life taking precedence over it.

Regardless of what you might hear, you're in for a treat. Enterprise started a bit iffy, but it turned into some great Star Trek.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've just started season 2 of Enterprise myself. Some average episodes, but mostly enjoyable so far.

Plus, Hoshi is hot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Myrddin wrote: »
    Regardless of what you might hear, you're in for a treat. Enterprise started a bit iffy, but it turned into some great Star Trek.

Which sums up all Star Trek.

Kiith wrote: »
    I've just started season 2 of Enterprise myself. Some average episodes, but mostly enjoyable so far.

Plus, Hoshi is hot.

Mmmmmmmmmmm Hoshi in "In a Mirror Darkly"

I just googled her (for science of course) and that's the first image that comes up...hot damn :eek:

We always knew she was a crap Captain, and now we know why. She had set a course for the center of the universe, which we all know is Sha Ka Ree and not Earth :pac:

I can just imagine the reception that she could get at some conventions now

I can just imagine the reception that she could get at some conventions now

People like Michio Kaku are involved in the doc too, so her lending her voice to it doesn't really mean much :)
    In addition to Mulgrew, who played Capt. Kathryn Janeway in “Star Trek: Voyager” and “Star Trek: Nemeis,” the film features several scientists, including Michio Kaku, Lawrence Krauss, and Max Tegmart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd imagine it'd be a bit like the "what the bleep do we know" scientists, where they interviewed them for a generic science documentary and then cut the interviews up to make it appear they support the brainfart theory of the documentary

i'd imagine it'd be a bit like the "what the bleep do we know" scientists, where they interviewed them for a generic science documentary and then cut the interviews up to make it appear they support the brainfart theory of the documentary

I'd be surprised if that were the case, Kaku would be a pretty high profile chap who would want to know exactly what he's appearing in...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if that were the case, Kaku would be a pretty high profile chap who would want to know exactly what he's appearing in...

he's a talking head like every other talking head in the history of television

*shrug*

Advertisement