Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

he's a talking head like every other talking head in the history of television

*shrug*

I dunno, he's a bit more than your average talking head...apart from being a Professor of Theoretical Physics, has an extensive media presence from being an established author, to radio, to writing a lot of online blogs. I would imagine his management would want to know exactly the direction of the documentary & that there would be a contract in place to ensure anything he says on the show reflects his true feelings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

WE all know Picard's "Make it so" is a great line, but I've found Edward Jellico's (the great Ronny Cox) "Get it done" to be far more effective in the office :p

I'm not one for micromanaging, so I encourage my staff to work in the ways that fits their talents best and as the department manager I don't need to see all the details of a proposal in a 30 minute meeting (but I do review them later) - ergo how you do it isn't as important as long as you ... etc :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://time.com/54684/star-trek-kate-mulgrew-the-principle-film/?hpt=hp_t3

back pedal all the things!

alternatively, whoops

Never knew this about TNG:
    Although the cast members were contracted for eight seasons, Paramount ended The Next Generation after seven, which disappointed and puzzled some of the actors, and was an unusual decision for a successful television show. Although doing so let the studio begin making films using the cast, which it believed would be less successful if the show were still on television, the main reason was that additional seasons would likely have reduced the show's profitability due to higher cast salaries and a lower price per episode when sold for stripping. The decision also encouraged viewers to watch Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and the forthcoming Star Trek: Voyager, both of which were much cheaper to make than The Next Generation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation#End

I'd have happily taken an extra season of TNG over the four movies tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Once a show goes above 7 seasons the actors guild can renegotiate massive upswings in cast salary.

None of the cast knew anything about the cancellation

• Advertisement

Once a show goes above 7 seasons the actors guild can renegotiate massive upswings in cast salary.

Ah, I see...so given the success, the cast would undoubtedly have asked for a substantial raise no doubt.
    None of the cast knew anything about the cancellation

At what point would they have been told, surely while Season 7 was still in the shooting phase?

I remember (I think!!) an interview years back where they were only told during the wrap of season 7 and that they were shifting to films

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A deleted scene form the end of Nemesis (bloody Nemesis & needless stupid killing off of Data grrr)

Another nice scene...jeez they really butchered that film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Myrddin wrote: »
    A deleted scene form the end of Nemesis (bloody Nemesis & needless stupid killing off of Data grrr)

I quite liked that!

crazyderk wrote: »
    I quite liked that!

Same here, amazing to think of how good some of the deleted scenes were yet the have Picard singing & totally out of character in others

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I could have done without the 'comedy' bits from the deleted scene about 'Jean-Luc' and the new chair as they just make Riker look like a jerk and Worf like an idiot. But the final line about the Deneb system would have been a much better send-off for TNG crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I cringed at the seatbelt bit!

but the last line was and the zoom out was very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Good scene alright, but I'm not sure why Picard would have opted for an "outsider" as a first officer when he had several existing senior officers to choose from. Worf perhaps? (Yea I know, supposedly he left Starfleet to go be Martok's ambassador but he's still in uniform so...)

Yer man looks far too fresh-faced and naive to be a decent replacement for Riker anyway.

Star Trek 11: The Search for a decent XO!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Picard sounded like he was smothered with a cold to my ears anyway!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Robert Picardo is in Dublin for a few days, he's been tweeting pics of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Robert Picardo is in Dublin for a few days, he's been tweeting pics of Dublin

He's at ArcadeCon, did anyone here go and meet him, or will they?

didn't even hear about it

yep me neither... and ive tweeted him twice and he hasnt replied:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yep me neither... and ive tweeted him twice and he hasnt replied:(

Not even an automated "please state the nature of the medical emergency"?

sorry, couldnt resist.. :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The gang got back together last week.

0939d4fbc72ee71aaa8e382d9a43d17d_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Kiith wrote: »
    The gang got back together last week.

Who's the dude at the rear-right of the pic?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Who's the dude at the rear-right of the pic?

Was about to ask the same thing!
    Patrick Stewart doesn't appear to have aged much at all since the series. WTF with Marina Sirtis though (assuming that is her at the front)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Was about to ask the same thing!
    Patrick Stewart doesn't appear to have aged much at all since the series. WTF with Marina Sirtis though (assuming that is her at the front)?

P Stewart hasn't aged since 1981

Look at Excalibur, pop him into a red n black uniform and he could have strolled onto the bridge of the enterprise

Poor Worf was missed out entirely

Marina Sirtis has changed so much. The others have naturally aged (& still look great), but she just looks so completely different

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Patrick Stewart whilst hasn't changed in appearance, he definitely has aged.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

William Shatner also looks pretty good, considering he's 83...holy **** he's 83 :eek:

And yeah, that's just some random guy in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That guy in the back is the one running the holodeck program. He's had his fun, and is about to shout "Computer, exit!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

P Stewart hasn't aged since 1981

Ah man!!

Advertisement