Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Poor Wes not even in thoughts ha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

for me, Pstew is star trek, even more so than Kirk, it will be a sad day when he shuffles off this mortal coil :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

He made Trek respectable and, in the 80's, finally able to modernise it.
    As much as I like TOS the films were very much stuck in the 60's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Jamaican Me Crazy

First Contact on Film 4. It is my favourite Star Trek movie. I remember having it on video back in the day. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I spent about an hour watching random star trek clips on youtube last night. Picard was a badass at times. Ended up watching The Wounded, and loved it (again).

Apparently there was an alternative line, but they wanted to keep it short and sweet.
    Picard wrote:
    Take this message to your leaders, Gul Macet. We know. We'll be watching. And we'll be ready.

Memory Aplha is great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah Dukat was great (even though that clip is labelled wrong :)). That was the great thing about DS9 - fully three-dimensional characters and most of the recurring secondary cast were fleshed out too

Dukat in his one man Klingon war phase was a guy you could actually root for. I love the episode where they trip the station's old counter-insurgency program too.. you gotta love when he materialises in Ops and just stands there making wisecracks while the phaser blasts away behind him.

Waltz is also an epic episode and in the top 5 of the series for me. I wasn't too keen on the whole Pah Wraith/Anton storyline though.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Ah Dukat was great (even though that clip is labelled wrong :)). That was the great thing about DS9 - fully three-dimensional characters and most of the recurring secondary cast were fleshed out too

Dukat in his one man Klingon war phase was a guy you could actually root for. I love the episode where they trip the station's old counter-insurgency program too.. you gotta love when he materialises in Ops and just stands there making wisecracks while the phaser blasts away behind him.

Waltz is also an epic episode and in the top 5 of the series for me. I wasn't too keen on the whole Pah Wraith/Anton storyline though.

+1 I couldn't stand Kai Winn. It was all a bit odd. Dukat was a great character, tonnes of personality. You never knew what you were going to get with the Cardassians. Damar had his good guy phase in season 7.

I met Andrew Robinson years ago. I must have a photo somewhere :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Marc alaimo and Andrew Robinson must have portrayed 2 of the best characters on all of ST.

I couldnt pick a favourite to be honest

I'd put Dukat up there with Khan as the best villian in Star Trek. Probably top actually, as he was so fleshed out. Brilliant character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Dukat was brilliant. Just a great 3 dimensional character. I can see why people hate when he became the Pah-Wraiths guy but nearly everything before that was amazing.

I still think the Pah-Wraiths should have been the Founders instead of other wormhole aliens though.

• Advertisement

Just cause we're talking about Dukat... love this scene! His countdown is better than ED-209 in the original RoboCop :pac:

The smirk at the end and all... Admit it Kira.. you sooo would! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'm nearly finished my marathon of DS9, and tbh Damar is the business too, the scene where Worf and Ezri Dax had been captured and brought to Cardassia prime - Damar and Weyoun enter the cell, to gloat. Weyoun gets a bit too close to Worf and Worf snaps his neck - Damar breaks his bollix laughing and says, "you know they'll just clone another one"

here it is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Agreed, I loved Damar too. You really do start to actually root for him later on when the uprising begins. Casey Biggs was brilliant, & there gelled so well with Dukat/Alaimo

Ugh, just watched the finale, every damn time it gets me

Poor Jake :/ Everyone got some kind of closure but him.

I'd read somewhere before that Avery Brooks and Cirroc Lofton were really close friends after DS9 ended too, it showed on screen so much throughout the entire series.

So that's ST:ToS, TNG and DS9 done, i don't really want to watch voyager except for the weak tie-in's to DS9 with the maquis. I might actually watch Enterprise again, i know some people say Archer ruined the franchise, but T'Pol has that catsuit - it might as well be ffs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Gul Dukat has to be the best villain that you love so much. Such a great character with many sly characteristics. Even towards the end with the Kai you thought he was going to turn good and he tricks you again!

Spend a hour last night watching old clips from youtube. DS9 was definitely a well thought out show with really good characters. Went into a lot more detail than the other shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Ugh, just watched the finale, every damn time it gets me

Poor Jake :/ Everyone got some kind of closure but him.

I'd read somewhere before that Avery Brooks and Cirroc Lofton were really close friends after DS9 ended too, it showed on screen so much throughout the entire series.

So that's ST:ToS, TNG and DS9 done, i don't really want to watch voyager except for the weak tie-in's to DS9 with the maquis. I might actually watch Enterprise again, i know some people say Archer ruined the franchise, but T'Pol has that catsuit - it might as well be ffs :D

Definitely give Voyager a try. I enjoyed it. It's not like DS9 but does introduce some great alien species and had some great episodes. The doctor is a great character too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I love Voyager but sometimes feel like I'm the only one! The Doctor is one of the best Star Trek Characters ever. And the Borg!!! Come on! Who doesn't love to hate the Borg!!!!

Definitely give Voyager a try. I enjoyed it. It's not like DS9 but does introduce some great alien species and had some great episodes. The doctor is a great character too.

From what i remember, they were few and far between, you're right about the doctor, but neelix bugged me something fierce

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

SarahBM wrote: »
    I love Voyager but sometimes feel like I'm the only one! The Doctor is one of the best Star Trek Characters ever. And the Borg!!! Come on! Who doesn't love to hate the Borg!!!!

I felt voyager destroyed the Borg, they stopped being scary and were just a run of the mill bad guy of the week villain character

From what i remember, they were few and far between, you're right about the doctor, but neelix bugged me something fierce

VOY had its fair share of weak episodes alright but there were some classics too. Off the top of my head:

- Message in a Bottle, which introduced the Prometheus and the EMH MK II (fantastic Doctor episode)
    - The 2-part Dark Frontier with the back story to Seven's parents (though I STILL don't see how young Annika had a full Cube model to play with years before the Enterprise-D meets the Borg)
    - Living Witness where the VOY crew are all evil sadists (bit like the Mirror Universe episodes in DS9/TOS)
    - Year of Hell 2-parter
    - Course Oblivion with the Demon World clones/counterparts
    - The Equinox 2-parter
    - That one where Seven is recruited by 29th century Starfleet to fix the timeline (some great pre-Caretaker scenes)
    - I actually liked the finalé as well. The 2nd hour didn't feel tacked on as with the DS9 one. TNG's All Good Things is still the best though

There's others as well but those are the ones that spring to mind. The Vidiians, Kazon etc are best forgotten though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

- The 2-part Dark Frontier with the back story to Seven's parents (though I STILL don't see how young Annika had a full Cube model to play with years before the Enterprise-D meets the Borg)

That bugged me for years but wasn't the storyline explanation that the timeline had been changed by the events of ST: First Contact bringing the Federation and The Borg into conflict way before the events of 'Q Who'.

I've been making a very slow trip through Voyager for the last 18 months or so. I'm in the fifth season at the minute. It's a decent show but the frustration is that it could have been so much more had they not pressed the reset button at the end of every epside. There's so little significant character development across seven years.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    That bugged me for years but wasn't the storyline explanation that the timeline had been changed by the events of ST: First Contact bringing the Federation and The Borg into conflict way before the events of 'Q Who'.

I can't remember to be honest (might watch it later.. ah the joys of a media server :)) but even allowing for FC, the Cube never made it through, the Sphere was destroyed in orbit pretty much immediately, and the only one to actually see a Borg from that time was Lilly if I remember right

I guess if you factor in ENT maybe early Starfleet got access to a database from the Sphere wreckage in the Arctic/Antarctic, but that was a longgg time after the VOY episode was made.

Time travel wha? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm pretty sure that FC is the official explanation for the various timeline issues with the Federation and the Borg, including the one you mention in Voyager. The Sphere had sent a communication to the Hive prior to being destructed.

It's a clear case of retconning of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

VOY had its fair share of weak episodes alright but there were some classics too. Off the top of my head:

- Message in a Bottle, which introduced the Prometheus and the EMH MK II (fantastic Doctor episode)
    - Living Witness where the VOY crew are all evil sadists (bit like the Mirror Universe episodes in DS9/TOS)
    - Year of Hell 2-parter
    - Course Oblivion with the Demon World clones/counterparts
    - The Equinox 2-parter
    - That one where Seven is recruited by 29th century Starfleet to fix the timeline (some great pre-Caretaker scenes)
    - I actually liked the finalé as well. The 2nd hour didn't feel tacked on as with the DS9 one. TNG's All Good Things is still the best though

There's others as well but those are the ones that spring to mind. The Vidiians, Kazon etc are best forgotten though.

Blink of an Eye
    Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy

You picked about the best of them there -Kaiser-. There were some good episodes to be fair. The Season 2 finale 'Basics' was actually pretty good, except for the 'I extracted your DNA and now I'm pregnant' line and 'Worst Case Scenario'. Seska was actually a pretty decent villain.

Having said that..............

We did have to suffer through the Fairhaven episodes *shudder*
    Chakotay doing a romance episode (Unforgettable - I wish I could!) *double shudder*
    Naomi Wildman *triple shudder*

I always like 'One' and 'Night', as well as a few of the ones listed above. There were just as many terrible episodes as great episodes, and so many mediocre episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭CiaranW

If you did not shed a tear in The Visitor episode of DS9 then there is something wrong with you!
    Fantastic episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Timeless is one of the best Voy eps. Epic storytelling and certainly Harry Kim's best moment. YES!!!!
    Latent Image (Ensign Jetal and one of the best ever Doctor eps)
    Drone. You get to meet the most awesome Borg ever.
    Big fan of Hope & Fear too - the Dauntless was class.
    Scorpion goes without saying.
    It's one of the most ridiculous episodes ever but in The Thaw the clown antagonist is superb and we get to see a very atypical and ballsy ending.

Others well worth a watch for various reasons: Dragon's Teeth, Coda, Flashback, The Void, The Omega Directive, Waking Moments and Scientific Method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Damn, this train of thought is making me want to do a Voyager run through! Currently caught up in Doctor Who though which I'm watching for the first time & that's always a bonus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

with all the DS9 references that I dont get, I might just have to do a run through. FML. I guess I wont be getting that masters after all LOL

Advertisement