Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

mad muffin wrote:
    You're not watching it in HD? :eek:
    Some people prefer SD :) (And always have I might add)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Dude111 wrote: »

I… I…

*rocks uncontrollably in the corner*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Dude111 wrote: »

They don't really though do they :o I mean, how could someone compare a heavily compressed/cut down version instead of something that was much closer to what was actually filmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

As the kids say "hate that"

Although recording in HD takes double the percents out of your sky box

It certainly does thats why I never record HD on my Sky box. I will only record a program in SD. I have never really noticed that much of a difference in SD and HD picture myself do but will say the sound does be a lot better on HD.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

AMKC wrote: »
    I have never really noticed that much of a difference in SD and HD picture myself do but will say the sound does be a lot better on HD.

What way is your Sky box connected to the TV - HDMI or Scart? If it's HDMI, then you should notice some difference if the program was made with HD cameras.

I thought the same way at first, but was amazed at the better texture you see on people's skin in things like The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad ... :eek: oops I'm on a Trek forum ... Apologies Mod! :o

• Advertisement

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Some of these are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Kiith wrote: »
    Some of these are brilliant.

yes. they're excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Gazorra should make more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

just watching Ent: Carbon Creek now.

A grand aul bit of telly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

well that's that, watched every star trek episode ever. All of them, for at least the 5th or 6th time now.

Voyager was the hardest to watch, some really good episodes but overall mostly meh..and Neelix.. most unlike-able character in any trek. tbh most of the crew were annoying, Ensign Kim comes a close second to Neelix, though Paris was pretty good, as was Janeway

Enterprise gets better each time i watch it although Archer is as wooden as the rest of the crew. Also, why the hell did they kill off Trip in the finale? The finale itself was alright but that just annoyed me, it was like it was forcing an emotional reaction from the viewer because they'd run out of decent plots for the finale to be in any way memorable. Shran was class in every episode he was in.

DS9 is my favorite, there are very few episode i wont watch again. Loved the dialogues between Sisko and Dukat - and the strong Klingon characters, Martok and Worf were brilliant.

TNG, almost every episode was pure class, nuff said. Picard was great from start to finish

ToS was actually hard to watch at times, but Kirk is a legend, watched the trouble with tribbles episode again after the DS9 one, they really did that one very well in DS9 too

I could go on but it'd depress me into starting to watch them all over again from ToS onwards and i'd rather wait a year or so to do that again.

here's waiting for Axanar, and some new ToS episodes from STcontinues :)

Also, why the hell did they kill off Trip in the finale?

Apparently, in the drafts for the cancelled season 5, it was to transpire he wasn't killed & it was some kind of ruse to protect the baby (I think!)

that'd mean the Terra Prime guys still had some form of leadership/other cells operating too.. meh cancelled too soon :/ it would explain the smile and the wink he gave Archer as he was going into the chamber though i put that down to his way of saying goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

that'd mean the Terra Prime guys still had some form of leadership/other cells operating too.. meh cancelled too soon :/ it would explain the smile and the wink he gave Archer as he was going into the chamber though i put that down to his way of saying goodbye

he's also resurrected in the books for some super secret anti romulan missions

So why didn't Odo like turn into the Female Changling and order all the Jem'Hadar to self destruct their ships?

Yeahhhhhh

IvySlayer wrote: »
    So why didn't Odo like turn into the Female Changling and order all the Jem'Hadar to self destruct their ships?

Yeahhhhhh

Same reason that the female shapeshifter didn't turn into Sisko & order DS9 to lower its shields :P

If Sisko acted out of the ordinary they'd test him.

Odo is a changling and the Jem'Hadar would obey without question :P

Good point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

The Vorta wouldn't though and could convince the Jem'Hadar easily enough that something was amiss

• Advertisement

To be fair, Odo went a bit darkside during the war. Kira accused him of being a collaborator at one stage, didn't she?

Other then that, i'm guessing Odo probably couldn't change into her. He was never good at shifting into other humanoids, hence his odd look.

Odo did change into the female when Kira, Damar, Garak took over a Jem'Hadar ship

Plus a changling outranks a vorta, jem hadar obey their gods :P

Odo did change into the female when Kira, Damar, Garak took over a Jem'Hadar ship

That's a good point. I'd forgotten about that. Must have only been his younger days when he sucked at shifting into humanoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It was not changing into humanoids that Odo had a problem with it was trying to do the face off humanoids that he found hard as they are so detailed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I see keiko o'brien is in 'forever' as the frenchman

I see keiko o'brien is in 'forever' as the frenchman

ye know, she was one of the only characters i disliked in DS9, even molly was more likeable :D

ye know, she was one of the only characters i disliked in DS9, even molly was more likeable :D

I don't know.

Her and Chief O'Brien's conflicting life goals, leading to friction between them is probably the most developed relationship between two people I've seen in ST.

I think the Keiko character suffers from being in some truly terrible one off episodes, like the one with alternate molly, or Keiko possessed.

Episodes where she just floats in the background showing what a self obsessed dick Chief O'Brien is really adds a "this is a real world" flavour to DS9, which makes it the best ST series.

hehe, yeah maybe you're right, i hadn't thought of it in that context. Tbh though Bashir and O'Brien made a better couple imo

hehe, yeah maybe you're right, i hadn't thought of it in that context. Tbh though Bashir and O'Brien made a better couple imo

Indeed.

It's one of ST's quirks that characters always have olde timey hobbies isn't it.

O'Brien and Bashir's Alamo model, Picard's ancient books, LaForge's ships in bottles, Riker's Womanising and jazz, even Sisko's baseball.

How come none of them have any niche interest in things that were invented between 1990 and the 24th century?

• Advertisement

Vash had an ancient hobby too..

Picard!!

Advertisement