Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That sounds like the Destiny Trilogy
    They basically realised that the Borg were destroyed by Voyager so wrote them out as a threat. turned out that the reason that the Borg had a hard on for Earth was because of a time travel cock up meaning that the first drones were human

still can't decide if I actually like that series or not...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just watched The Visitor again...god damn it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Kiith wrote: »

Dammit Kurn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kiith wrote: »

That episode makes even non fans cry, my gf can attest to that :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Caught the end of TNG's Contagion earlier. Format and reinstall the Enterprise, be grand. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

still can't decide if I actually like that series or not...

I like the original pieces but I don't think David Mack ever writes established characters well or even in character. It comes across as extreme fanboyism and its very easy to see who his favorites are. Picard never came across as very Picard-ish and Dax is very obviously his favorite. Neither seemed slightly in tune with the tv series' or even other non David Mack books.

Also he regularly goes for universe shattering stories which totally mess with continuity. I'd normally have no problem with this but the content (massive battles ZOOM ZOOM POW!!!!) and the constant high stakes smack a bit too much of over glorified fan fiction. Star trek did have large battles but that was never the central focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I started Watching DS9 on Netflix the other day. 3 episodes in and im really liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

For the first time??? You lucky so-and-so.

If you already like it, just wait till it really kicks off after season 3. Was good before that, but becomes great after.

Oh no I've seen it before but it was when it was first on TV back in the 90's don't think I've really seen it since. I was a bit nervous the first few series would be crap before Worf steps in but I'm surprised at how good it is. Garek from the get go is a great character. I'm surpirsed at how well it has stood up to the test of time.
    I'm sure there will be one or two cheesy episodes but sure I can live with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

DS9 - the best of all trek shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It is great, and by far my favourite Sci-Fi series ever, but tbh I struggle with a large chunk of those first 50 episodes. There's some great stuff there but it comes on massively once the actors and the writers find their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Allamaraine count to four
    Allamaraine then three more
    Allamaraine if you can see
    Allamaraine you'll come with me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I read that in Kira's voice :D

She loved it, even if she wanted to show that she hated it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I had a serious thing for Kira.....
    Niiiiice.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Allamaraine count to four
    Allamaraine then three more
    Allamaraine if you can see
    Allamaraine you'll come with me

That's the episode that had me in a cringe and not looking forward to the first couple of seasons!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I had a serious thing for Kira.....
    Niiiiice.

couldnt get past the name tbh

Nana.. too weird :pac:

I was like...Kira Nana Nerys? I don't remember them ever mentioning that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

visitor - even weirder :D

Voyagers Engineering crew must be wondering what they ever did to deserve how they are treated

A Maquis is made chief engineer, if Torres is off the ship or in sickbay Seven or Harry are put in charge :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

crazyderk wrote: »
    Yes sorry I meant Worf:D:D:D:D:D

Mr Woof :-)

Voyagers Engineering crew must be wondering what they ever did to deserve how they are treated

A Maquis is made chief engineer, if Torres is off the ship or in sickbay Seven or Harry are put in charge :P

and poor old Vorik, demoted into obscurity after some reasonable promise in the early eps.

and poor old Vorik, demoted into obscurity after some reasonable promise in the early eps.

Same with Carey, randomly appeared in Season 7 than BAM, killed. Future Janeway didn't bother to go back in time to save him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Voyager was composed of a crew built on personal trust and individual talent,
    Without which the ship would not have been able to operate.

Janeway was a good Capt considering what she had to work with, balancing the demands of heated crewmembers like Torres with disciplined Star Fleet Officers who had suffered enormously from being left deserted in the Delta Quadrant with nobody to turn to for assistance.

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Voyager was composed of a crew built on personal trust and individual talent,
    Without which the ship would not have been able to operate.

Janeway was a good Capt considering what she had to work with, balancing the demands of heated crewmembers like Torres with disciplined Star Fleet Officers who had suffered enormously from being left deserted in the Delta Quadrant with nobody to turn to for assistance.

The maquis crew (inc Paris) got a disproportionately high number of command positions though. First Officer, Chief Engineer, Chief Conn (Pity Stadi didn't survive to add some glamour)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The maquis crew (inc Paris) got a disproportionately high number of command positions though. First Officer, Chief Engineer, Chief Conn (Pity Stadi didn't survive to add some glamour)

They did, but making Chakotay XO was an example of Janeway wanting the two crews to feel as one, & luckily for her Chakotay seen it that way too. Torres & Paris were simply the best people for those roles, with a lot of the original crew killed in the move to the Delta Quadrant.

Myrddin wrote: »
    They did, but making Chakotay XO was an example of Janeway wanting the two crews to feel as one, & luckily for her Chakotay seen it that way too. Torres & Paris were simply the best people for those roles, with a lot of the original crew killed in the move to the Delta Quadrant.

Torres was definitely questionable.

You have to imagine that Paris promotion would have caused huge resentment among the crew as well. They may have accepted the need to combine crews and have maquis in certain roles but someone would was in jail for treason and had been honourably discharged for killing three people and a fairly unlike-able guy at the start being promoted to a senior role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Torres was definitely questionable.

You have to imagine that Paris promotion would have caused huge resentment among the crew as well. They may have accepted the need to combine crews and have maquis in certain roles but someone would was in jail for treason and had been honourably discharged for killing three people and a fairly unlike-able guy at the start being promoted to a senior role

Yeah but your forgetting he was cool and got on with everyone bar the Doctor, he even managed to impress Torres.

• Advertisement

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Yeah but your forgetting he was cool and got on with everyone bar the Doctor, he even managed to impress Torres.

That's because everyone who hated him was killed by the Caretaker. Seems a little convenient to me...hmm, maybe he was the Caretaker all along!! :eek:

Seriously though, after reading up on some Voyager episodes recently, i see a run through in the near future. I've not seen it in ages, and am looking forward to at least some of it.

Advertisement