Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Kiith wrote: »
    That's because everyone who hated him was killed by the Caretaker. Seems a little convenient to me...hmm, maybe he was the Caretaker all along!! :eek:

Seriously though, after reading up on some Voyager episodes recently, i see a run through in the near future. I've not seen it in ages, and am looking forward to at least some of it.

I would love a Voyager run through. Did TNG last summer. Not pushed about DS9 to be honest. I always felt I was the only one who liked Voyager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

SarahBM wrote: »
    I would love a Voyager run through. Did TNG last summer. Not pushed about DS9 to be honest. I always felt I was the only one who liked Voyager.

Love DS9, Voyager is good as an enjoyable watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Love DS9, Voyager is good as an enjoyable watch.

I'd be the same.. I always thought VOY gets an undeserved slating generally.

Sure it had Neelix but every series had one of those - Wesley, Nog (the early years) but The Doctor was a great character particularly in episodes like Message in a Bottle with the Prometheus and Andy Dick.

I know they also de-fanged the Borg but I thought the 2-parter backstory to Seven's parents was excellent myself (although I've yet to see a satisfactory explanation as to why little Annika had a detailed model of a Cube to play with years before Q flings the Enterprise-D into Borg space :))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Why i hated Voyager
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2KIWnDCyMHWSkY6pcNu4jgvFz_sZRkGCcFHzHrqnbIQmoYsPU

Why i loved Voyager
    250px-SevenofNine.jpg

seriously though, neelix was dreadful, so was seven most of the time, Janeway was the reason i even watched it through to the end. She was a good captain, she just had a crappy crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I've started into Season 2 of DS9 on my run through, its tough to find time to watch it as there's so much else on like game of thrones and now daredevil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

crazyderk wrote: »
    I've started into Season 2 of DS9 on my run through, its tough to find time to watch it as there's so much else on like game of thrones and now daredevil.

Come season 3/4 of DS9 you'll be saying that about GoT :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Myrddin wrote: »
    Come season 3/4 of DS9 you'll be saying that about GoT :D

Ye I know, I think when I start with way of the warrior TV will be coming into their summer break and it will be full steam ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'd be the same.. I always thought VOY gets an undeserved slating generally.

Sure it had Neelix but every series had one of those - Wesley, Nog (the early years) but The Doctor was a great character particularly in episodes like Message in a Bottle with the Prometheus and Andy Dick.

I know they also de-fanged the Borg but I thought the 2-parter backstory to Seven's parents was excellent myself (although I've yet to see a satisfactory explanation as to why little Annika had a detailed model of a Cube to play with years before Q flings the Enterprise-D into Borg space :))

Q did not fling the Enterprise-D into Borg space. He just flinged them to where there was already a Borg Cube heading for Federation space.It was not Borg space do. The Borg cube was already heading for Federation space as I have said already.

Here is a bit explaining what happened. The Borg as far as I am aware became aware of Earth about 300years before they got there.

In his third appearance in 2365, Q presented himself as homeless, and expressed an interest in joining Picard's crew, his reason being that Humanity would eventually push into uncharted territory and would need a guide, as they were ill-prepared to face what they would find. He even offered to renounce his powers to prove that his offer was genuine. However, when Picard vehemently declined (inspired by believing that Humanity could handle any threat), Q hurled the Enterprise into the path of a Borg cube. Ultimately, Picard had to beg for Q's help in escaping from the pursuit of the Borg ship. (TNG: "Q Who")

It was once contested whether Q's actions provided the Borg Collective with knowledge of the Federation's existence, directly contributing to the invasion a year later, or if the Borg had preexisting knowledge of Humanity and that Q, whatever his motives, gave the Federation an early warning it would not have had, otherwise. In the Star Trek: Enterprise episode "Regeneration", it was implied that the Borg became aware of Humanity c.2353 and that the Borg cube in "Q Who" had been traveling in the general direction of Earth since then, confirming the latter. Additionally, Star Trek: Voyager established that Magnus and Erin Hansen had been studying the Borg in the 2350s until their capture and assimilation in 2356. In TNG: "Q Who", it is also insinuated, though never confirmed, that the Borg were behind the destruction of Starfleet and Romulan Neutral Zone outposts in 2364, a series of attacks first established in TNG: "The Neutral Zone".

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Q did not fling the Enterprise-D into Borg space. He just flinged them to where there was already a Borg Cube heading for Federation space.It was not Borg space do. The Borg cube was already heading for Federation space as I have said already.

Hmm, I'm not so sure. Wasn't that area of space very near to where Guinan's planet was (El Auria?)? If so, it's logical to conclude that area was in deed controlled by Borg, & not simply in the path of a Cube headed for Earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Hmm, I'm not so sure. Wasn't that area of space very near to where Guinan's planet was (El Auria?)? If so, it's logical to conclude that area was in deed controlled by Borg, & not simply in the path of a Cube headed for Earth?

Wasn't the last line in that episode something along the lines of "they know who we are now, and they'll be coming"

• Advertisement
    Ms

It might be on at the Weekend on Syfy for the Captains special. If not I will watch it on the dvd. Myself I don,t think they were in Borg space. Can,t remember if Guinan's planet was near that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah I think that they already knew. Those were definite Borg incursions at the Neutral Zone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Given that Janeway is an Admiral for Nemesis, why the hell doesnt Enterprise have armor??

Temporal prime directive BS :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Given that Janeway is an Admiral for Nemesis, why the hell doesnt Enterprise have armor??

Temporal prime directive BS :mad:

She destroyed the future where the technology was invented so it was never invented in the first place so how does the technology even exist? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I love time travel episodes :D

Plus Janeway had the Season 1 hair do and not a wrinkle in Nemesis, but in Voyager by the time they got back to the Alpha Quadrant, she has chopped it all off and looked much older.

SarahBM wrote: »
    I love time travel episodes :D

Plus Janeway had the Season 1 hair do and not a wrinkle in Nemesis, but in Voyager by the time they got back to the Alpha Quadrant, she has chopped it all off and looked much older.

and better for it imo

IvySlayer wrote: »
    She destroyed the future where the technology was invented so it was never invented in the first place so how does the technology even exist? :P

Because Voyager came back from the Delta Quadrant in the main timeline "fully loaded" with all those optional extras remember :)

You'd have to assume that Starfleet engineers would have been all over that the minute the ship hit spacedock. You could also say that it's as a result of this that they reverse engineer the tech and thus it's how it's invented in the first place (... my head hurts! :p)

It probably also explains how Starfleet seems to get so advanced in a very short period of time between Nemesis and the first JJ movie with Old Spock's ultra advanced ship and supernova stopping technology. Remember that Admiral Janeway's shuttle was onboard Voyager for a while too so they presumably downloaded the entire future database, as well as the defence/weapons systems (that's what the Klingons wanted as well in exchange for the temporal device)

(I really do remember some amount of trivia! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭CiaranW

Next Generation Episode - The Inner Light was on the other day on Syfy.
    Fantastic episode, had to choke back a few tears!

CiaranW wrote: »
    Next Generation Episode - The Inner Light was on the other day on Syfy.
    Fantastic episode, had to choke back a few tears!

That episode gets a lot of flak I think. I don't understand why, it's a fantastic episode

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Isn't it regarded as one of the best episodes? I always thought it was excellent. Not a traditional episode sure, but Steward was excellent in it.

• Advertisement

Isn't it regarded as one of the best episodes? I always thought it was excellent. Not a traditional episode sure, but Steward was excellent in it.

I've seen it get flask quite a few times, in here too which is surprising. Stewart is superb in it alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭CiaranW

I've seen it get flask quite a few times, in here too which is surprising. Stewart is superb in it alright :)

What makes the episode is the fact that Picard settles down and has children, one of which, his daughter, is very like him. Determined and hard working.

While as captain, he never settles down, and in an episode he really relates with I believe his nephew(?), and you see how upset he gets when he finds out his nephew dies in an episode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, his brother and nephew die in a fire during Generations, and it hugely upsets him (and is part of the reason why his Nexus experience was with the family he never had). Reading the wiki page, this was apparently supposed to bring significant changes to Picards character, but they didn't end up doing it. It's only really mentioned it once more, in Lessons (where he hooks up with the piano player).

I always hated that :mad:

I mean, a fire? I understand Robert didn't like living easy and having fancy tech but killed by fire in the 24th century? And Rene has to die too?

Robert could have just died of old age and Picard regretting not spending enough time with his familyor having one of his own like Robert did

Generations was such a cluster fck of a film

Ms

I agree he is excellent in it and it is a great episode. I will admit do when I seen it the first time as a child I found it boring but not anymore. It is his favourite episode too thats why it was on SyFy. There were having Captains Day.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I always hated that :mad:

I mean, a fire? I understand Robert didn't like living easy and having fancy tech but killed by fire in the 24th century? And Rene has to die too?

Robert could have just died of old age and Picard regretting not spending enough time with his familyor having one of his own like Robert did

Generations was such a cluster fck of a film

That movie was great. The crew was excellent unlike any other Star Trek film the entire ship got attention.

That movie was great. The crew was excellent unlike any other Star Trek film the entire ship got attention.

That's true.. after that it became the Picard and Data Show which was a complete waste really.

I think the Enterprise D deserved better than what Riker did to her :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think the Enterprise D deserved better that what Riker did to her :(

at least he didnt crash it using a joystick :eek:

• Advertisement

long but worth a look :D

No wonder he went to DS9

Advertisement