Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I think the Enterprise D deserved better than what Riker did to her :(

Riker did not do anything to her. She got hit my several Klingon torpedo,s and one breeched the Warp core so they had to separate the saucer section from the secondary hull and the shockwave from the explosion of the warp core knocked the saucer into the planets atmosphere. Not a whole lot else they could have done really as the saucer section was not fast enough and did not have enough time to get away from the shockwave. Maybe they could have rotated the shield frequency but they did not understand how the torpedo,s were getting through the shields so maybe they just never thought to do that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think the Enterprise D deserved better than what Riker did to her :(

Eh? It was Dianna that was driving at the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

AMKC wrote: »
    Riker did not do anything to her.

It kinda was all Riker's fault. Despite the fact that the Bird of Prey could send torpedoes through the Enterprise shields, Riker just stood there asking everyone for reports for what seemed like an eternity. Lets not forget, the BoP was over 20 years old at the time, & shields or no shields, was no match for the federation flagship. Several volleys of photons combined with a barrage of phaser fire would have taken the BoP out as a threat quite quickly.

The fact that Diana was at the helm of the saucer is superfluous to the fact, the stardrive section was gone at that stage which was avoidable. I know the writers wanted a new ship for the next films and all, but there could have been a better way to see the Ent-D off that what we got. It was laughable really, given all that went before (it took on THREE Kvort class cruisers in Yesterday's Enterprise, which are the much bigger type & managed to hold its own for ages).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I can only assume that the first volley of torpedo's did serious damage to the ships systems/weapons. With shields up, the Enterprise would easily beat that BoP, but it's not so tough without it. More of a shield boat i'd say. And once the warp nacelle was hit, it was only a matter of time. If it had ablative armour, it probably would have been grand, but it's not the defiant :P

Also, Yesterdays Enterprise might not be the best example. It was a warship in that reality afterall, so its fair to assume it was better equipped.

It was a shame to see her go though...she was a beauty :)

Kiith wrote: »
    I can only assume that the first volley of torpedo's did serious damage to the ships systems/weapons. With shields up, the Enterprise would easily beat that BoP, but it's not so tough without it. More of a shield boat i'd say. And once the warp nacelle was hit, it was only a matter of time. If it had ablative armour, it probably would have been grand, but it's not the defiant :P

But the hits only kept coming, & the option to fire was seemingly always there. There's no excuse for Riker being so hesitant to fire back, other than "it's written that way".
    Also, Yesterdays Enterprise might not be the best example. It was a warship in that reality afterall, so its fair to assume it was better equipped.

True enough. I do maintain the point though that even without shields, the Ent-D should have easily been able to disable a B'rel class BoP which is less than 1/4 the size of a Galaxy class ship. What happened to "Open fire, all weapons!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Regardless of how they did it, I wish they hadn't. The D was a great and iconic ship, and looked incredible in Generations.

The E was an odd design if you ask me. Stretched and squashed, too dark and badly lit. Certainly didn't have the same "wow" factor as the D. But I guess they wanted something a bit more 'zippy' looking for the space battles.

Myrddin wrote: »
    But the hits only kept coming, & the option to fire was seemingly always there. There's no excuse for Riker being so hesitant to fire back, other than "it's written that way".

True enough. I do maintain the point though that even without shields, the Ent-D should have easily been able to disable a B'rel class BoP which is less than 1/4 the size of a Galaxy class ship. What happened to "Open fire, all weapons!!"

SOMEBODY FIRE!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

What happened to "Open fire, all weapons!!"

Thanks...i've had this stuck in my head all morning now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I mean, a fire? I understand Robert didn't like living easy and having fancy tech but killed by fire in the 24th century? And Rene has to die too?

Robert could have just died of old age and Picard regretting not spending enough time with his familyor having one of his own like Robert did
    Yeah it felt needlessly 'tragic' to me, especially as the characters are killed offscreen. Having Robert die of old age as you suggest would have been much more plausible and appropriate to the story. It would have raised the issue of mortality for Picard and he could have compared his legacy as a Star Fleet officer with Robert's legacy of a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

AMKC wrote: »
    Riker did not do anything to her. She got hit my several Klingon torpedo,s and one breeched the Warp core so they had to separate the saucer section from the secondary hull and the shockwave from the explosion of the warp core knocked the saucer into the planets atmosphere. Not a whole lot else they could have done really as the saucer section was not fast enough and did not have enough time to get away from the shockwave. Maybe they could have rotated the shield frequency but they did not understand how the torpedo,s were getting through the shields so maybe they just never thought to do that.

Riker did not order the shields to be remodulated nor did he order Worf to fire everything until the Klingons were dust, he told Worf to lock on phasers and Troi to take the helm to get out of there.

The Klingons fired at least 6 more shots at the Enterprise while he was asking Worf for a history lesson and then formulated the plan. To me, Riker is totally at fault.

I wonder how the court martial went for him :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Riker always did have a whiff of Zapp Brannigan off him...... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Following up from the inner light discussion:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Following up from the inner light discussion:

links broken?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Paris gets demoted from Lieutenant to Ensign, he doesn't really care about his rank. Harry volunteers for night shifts to be in command of Voyager and leads away missions.

Paris gets a promotion back to Lieutenant :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Paris gets demoted from Lieutenant to Ensign, he doesn't really care about his rank. Harry volunteers for night shifts to be in command of Voyager and leads away missions.

Paris gets a promotion back to Lieutenant :P

Wasn't Paris's demotion part of a ploy to do.. something.. with the Kazon or Talaxians or something? Seska was in there too somewhere.. pretty sure of that

Wasn't Paris's demotion part of a ploy to do.. something.. with the Kazon or Talaxians or something? Seska was in there too somewhere.. pretty sure of that

No he leaves the ship to try and find out who on Voyager is giving information to the Kazon. That was Season 2.

In Season 5 Paris goes against orders and gets demoted back to Ensign only to be promoted again the following season

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

the water planet right? didnt he go rogue there and do something or other to get himself thrown in the brig?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

the water planet right? didnt he go rogue there and do something or other to get himself thrown in the brig?

Star Trek really loved the lovable rouge characters it sucked be a hardworker on a starship, you would never get noticed

Yeah it was something to do with the weather control system if I recall, he went rogue & was demoted over it. I'd argue though that it was a big enough deal to him by that stage, he'd long since become part of the crew & had earned the respect of everyone on board by then. Was his promotion to Lt. in the next season a prop error, or am I imaging that?

• Advertisement

No it wasn't an error :P

There's a box on his chair with a pip in it when he arrives on the bridge and Janeway promotes him to Lieutenant

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It was a joke at their own expense to be honest. Doesnt Harry make a comment about pips being left on his chair? :p

I'm almost half way through Season 2 of DS9, a lot of stand alone episodes, some have been good. 2 mentions on the dominion. so far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Last summer I did the TNG run through along with Stargate SG1. I am half thinking of doing a Voyager one, but I might do DS9 since I don't think I have seen all of it.
    Does anyone know anything about the Star Trek Renegades show that supposed to be being made? I came across a trailer for it by happy accident. Looks promising. Tuvok and the Doctor and Ecjeb (spelled that wrong) are in it.

SarahBM wrote: »
    I am half thinking of doing a Voyager one, but I might do DS9 since I don't think I have seen all of it.

Do the DS9 one, you won't regret it...& do a run through thread for it, like the SG1 one!
    Does anyone know anything about the Star Trek Renegades show that supposed to be being made? I came across a trailer for it by happy accident. Looks promising. Tuvok and the Doctor and Ecjeb (spelled that wrong) are in it.

Thread on it here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057023507

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Do the DS9 one, you won't regret it...& do a run through thread for it, like the SG-1 one

I won t be finished my masters til September so it may have go wait til then. Or at least til the end of the month. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Looks more like Voyager tbh

Reminds me of an upside down Sovvie

• Advertisement

Finished Season 2 of DS9 today and met the Jem Hadar. That was a great episode.

Season 3 here I come.

Advertisement