Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

SarahBM wrote: »
    I was making more reference to the way they treat women or should I say "females". But I agree with what your saying :-)

Yeah. And my GF insists on wearing clothes, no matter how often I tell her not to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah. And my GF insists on wearing clothes, no matter how often I tell her not to...

Hey, at least she chews your food for you.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Absolutely nothing, that's why I'm doing run throughs of Stargate and trek.
    Benjamin has got the beard!!!!

Check out Dark Matter. Not sure if it will be the next Star Trek or Stargate but its worth a try. Only started on Syfy last week.
    I agree about StarGate Its good but I think they let SG1 go on too long. 7 or 8 seasons would have been enough. SG1 is my favorite Stargate series. Atlantis should have got two more seasons and the less said about the other Stargate series the better.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

My dad mentioned Dark Matter to me at the wknd. I'll ad it to the huge list of shows people have told me to watch. Atlantis was totally cut short. Went I was watching the 5th season, I didn't realise there was only 17 eps. I was expecting 20, so I was shocked when it just ended. The last two eps could have been stretched out over 4.
    I watched a couple of eps of Stargate Universe bit didn't like it. I have been told to give it a second chance though.

I am looking forward to getting home tonight to watch another few eps of DS9. I might rewatch Voyager after this :D might even give enterprise a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

My dad mentioned Dark Matter to me at the wknd. I'll ad it to the huge list of shows people have told me to watch. Atlantis was totally cut short. Went I was watching the 5th season, I didn't realise there was only 17 eps. I was expecting 20, so I was shocked when it just ended. The last two eps could have been stretched out over 4.
    I watched a couple of eps of Stargate Universe bit didn't like it. I have been told to give it a second chance though.

I am looking forward to getting home tonight to watch another few eps of DS9. I might rewatch Voyager after this :D might even give enterprise a go.

The last few episodes of of eNt are brilliant.

• Advertisement

Universe is best watched like how you're currently watching DS9 - few eps a night etc. I know Universe gets some flak, but it wasn't anywhere near as bas as gets made out, in fact, on the second watch I found it really, really enjoyable. Trust me, I wasn't wrong about DS9 ;):D Must look up Dark Matter, hadn't heard of it!

SGUs problem was that the two leads were dicks

SGUs problem was that the two leads were dicks

Carlisle played the part so bloody well though, he has such powerful screen presence & excelled as portraying an antagonist with some good qualities. Ferreira I liked a lot too, the protagonist with some dislikeable qualities. Something needed to be done differently with Stargate though, & Universe given another season would have definitely spread its wings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I do not think I will watch Dark Matter until it gets renewed for a couple of seasons.

Fed up of getting into a show only to have in cancelled. So far I've been burned by:

1)Ascension
    2)Flash Forward
    3) Revolution
    4) Terra Nova.

I do not think I will watch Dark Matter until it gets renewed for a couple of seasons.

Fed up of getting into a show only to have in cancelled. So far I've been burned by:

1)Ascension
    2)Flash Forward
    3) Revolution
    4) Terra Nova.

Don't forget the 2007 series of Flash Gordon. I thought it was the perfect mix between the original series "chewing gum for the eyes" and a more modern, character and storyline driven approach. It didn't take itself too serious and yet tried to get a good, involving plot going.
    I was crushed when it was cancelled.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Carlisle played the part so bloody well though, he has such powerful screen presence & excelled as portraying an antagonist with some good qualities. Ferreira I liked a lot too, the protagonist with some dislikeable qualities. Something needed to be done differently with Stargate though, & Universe given another season would have definitely spread its wings.

Robert Carlyle is a bloody fantastic actor, he can pull off anything.
    If you want to know his range just watch him a Begbie in Trainspotting and then watch a few episodes of Hamish McBeth, the characters he plays are absolute polar opposites.
    Hamish McBeth was another favorite of mine, it is exactly the type of TV series that will never, ever come out of Hollywood. Or if they try, it will be a trainwreck.

Carlisle is brilliant in Once upon a Time too. SGU has been on the list for a while. I swear once this masters is done I'll be catching up on all these shows!

I think I'm on ep 26 of season 3 next.

Ok so I start season 4 and I immediately realise a number of changes.
    1. Sisko is bald
    2. The opening credits have a modified theme and loads of ships.
    3. Bashir was played by Siddig El Fadil and is now called Alexander Siddig.
    4. I imdb'd Siddig and found out he was married and has a kid with Nana Visitor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

If you've ever watched 'Cracker' he plays an awesome nutcase in that too, then there's Begby! :D

I've been filling the sci-fi void with 3rd Rock from the Sun on netflix, i'd forgotten how laugh out loud funny it is, Shatner was a regular appearance in some of the later seasons too.. The Big Giant Head :D perfect part for him, he hasnt changed much in the 15 or so years since it first aired either

It's weird, there's so many cameo appearances in it - i even noticed the entire frontline cast of breaking bad, including Saul Goodman make an appearance nearly one after the other in seperate episodes

Jesse was the lead singer at Tom's Prom night, Walter was a smarmy showtune impersonator, and Saul was an insurance salesman.. pure gold if you're stuck for sci-fi and need a good laugh at the same time :)

Ok so I start season 4 and I immediately realise a number of changes.
    1. Sisko is bald

I think this is his preferred look in real life. He played a character called Hawk on a show called Spencer For Hire, & he had the bald head with beard. I think when DS9 started, he either chose to, or was asked to take on a different look from his Hawk character. Once DS9 established itself & some years had passed, he took on his preferred look again, the bald head & beard.
    2. The opening credits have a modified theme and loads of ships.

That was done purposely by the shows creators/writers. It was to visibly show how DS9 was once a frontier, quiet outpost as depicted in the original intro, to the new, bustling hub of activity thanks to the wormhole.
    3. Bashir was played by Siddig El Fadil and is now called Alexander Siddig.

Yeah noticed that before too, not actually sure why this is. I think he might have just chosen to display his name differently for career reasons?
    4. I imdb'd Siddig and found out he was married and has a kid with Nana Visitor!!!

Yep, they were a married couple for a while alright :)

Yeah noticed that before too, not actually sure why this is. I think he might have just chosen to display his name differently for career reasons?

According to IMDb he changed it because fans at Trek conventions complained about how they couldn't pronounce El Fadil. I don't know how true that is though.

and 5. WORF!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

and 5. WORF!!!!!

Ah jaysus howrya Worf

crazyderk wrote: »
    Ah jaysus howrya Worf

Wonder would he ever say "I am functioning within established parameters" for a laugh.

'nother laff and a haff:

Spiner is such a character, & a damn fine actor too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

In order for me.....

DS9 > BSG > SG1 > TNG > VOY > Atlantis > ENT > SGU > TOS > Caprica

Oh i wish i could do DS9 and BSG from the beginning without knowing..... Jon Snow was lucky.

• Advertisement

Ah stop, there just are not enough hours in the day.

Are you mad having Voy anywhere near the front/middle??

Cowardly, badly written and sexist crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Spiner is such a character, & a damn fine actor too :D
    ye know he's reprising his role as the nutty scientist guy in area 51 in the new independence day movie too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I used to dip in and out of it, but this is my first time watching DS9 through. Its on the US netflix

You suggesting I break the Prime Directive or mess up the holodeck by accessing US Netflix? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Agree.. awful, I'd take Enterprise over it tbh.

TNG> DS9 > SG1 > BSG > TOS > ENT > SGU > SGA > TOS > Caprica

Like the original but for me, i grew up with TNG so for me its a long way in front of the rest.

What?!?!!? Where do you get the "Sexist" from. Janeway is a strong female lead IMO as is Torres.
    An if you are referring to Seven, if I had a figure like that (which I certainly don't, but wish I did) I would be wearing lycra too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Damn. Missed post 1701.

Janeway kicks ass! She'll give Picard and Cisco a run for their money. Where you get this mental idea from? Just watch The Year of Hell.

Cowardly: Constant reset button, no tension between crews and no real impact of being alone. (Equinox was more interesting in its two episodes)

Badly written: Again with no tension between crews, no real character development and the defanging of the Borg

Sexist: Yes 7. Ratings on the decline, add hot women in a catsuit. That'll do.
    Jayneway was so over the top your stereotypical "Ballsy" woman too.

The much praised Year of Hell even feeds into the above, showing what hell the ship should have gone through and that gets hit with the mother of all reset buttons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Al Capwned wrote: »
    In order for me.....

DS9 > BSG > SG1 > TNG > VOY > Atlantis > ENT > SGU > TOS > Caprica

Oh i wish i could do DS9 and BSG from the beginning without knowing..... Jon Snow was lucky.

Why no B5. Did you forget it or have you never seen it. Firefly is another greatr show as well. For me SGU would be last in my list its just so dull and depressing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement