Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

df3db8bbbd83a5a77012510a58ae56ed.jpg

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man! :p:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Rejoined - poor Dax!!!

On the Episode 7 the Little Green Men!
    I hate Quark
    Rom is cool

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

AMKC wrote: »
    Why no B5. Did you forget it or have you never seen it. Firefly is another greatr show as well. For me SGU would be last in my list its just so dull and depressing.

I tried to get into B5 a few times, but the first few episodes i watched (season1) were just dull as feck, does it get any better at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Are you mad having Voy anywhere near the front/middle??
    Possibly, but i enjoyed it at the time.
    Why no B5. Did you forget it or have you never seen it. Firefly is another greatr show as well. For me SGU would be last in my list its just so dull and depressing.
    Never watched it tbh.... Tried one or two, but it was the odd episode here and there, never really tried to watch it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I do not think I will watch Dark Matter until it gets renewed for a couple of seasons.

Fed up of getting into a show only to have in cancelled. So far I've been burned by:

1)Ascension
    2)Flash Forward
    3) Revolution
    4) Terra Nova.

Aahhhh, Flash Forward - i loved that!!! And does anyone remember Threshold?

Edit - it's not actually as far OT as I thought, cos Brent Spiner was in it, and it was written by Braga!
    Peter Dinklage was also a cast member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Why no B5. Did you forget it or have you never seen it.

THANK YOU! Yes - B5 was f**king brilliant. Much more realistic on the physics of Earther ships and also you see people actually using a ... toilet! :P And humans are exactly as we are now - devious and unreliable and flawed. Then add in the other gazzilion races. :)
    I tried to get into B5 a few times, but the first few episodes i watched (season1) were just dull as feck, does it get any better at all?

Yes it does, it's got much better and multiple story arcs than DS9. It can be a little sluggish, but I thought it worth it. Don't get me wrong, I love DS9, but B5 beats it in my book.
    Al Capwned wrote: »
    Never watched it tbh.... Tried one or two, but it was the odd episode here and there, never really tried to watch it properly.

If you watch it properly, start to finish, you will not regret it.

It does get a little funky transitioning from Season 4 to 5 and the end of Season 5 because they didn't know until late on Season 4 if they had another season, so they wrote the last episode at the end of Season 4 and then bolted it on to the end of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

DS9 I never got into, I hated the fat that it was static, Star Trek is about exploring the galaxy, not to sit around in a space station.

I think DS9 was the most dynamic show in Trek. Would never use the phrase static.

Characters, the Alpha Quadrant, allies, enemies, friendships all changed throughout the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Damn. Missed post 1701.

8472 is the next one .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

8472 is the next one .....

6751 posts and counting ....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whiteramekin

the thing about babylon 5 is that season 1 is ****ing awful, but it lays the groundwork for the following seasons in a way most other shows don't. stuff you see in s1ep0x only becomes relevant in s3x21 and **** like that is quite common. so you just have to suffer through the first season and trust that it gets better

it does get better though, so much better.

at least until season 5 where it gets **** again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

DS9 is definitely the strongest Trek IMO, followed by TNG, VOY and a few episodes of ENT.

SGU gets a very bad rep but season 2 was very good and Robert Carlisle is brilliant as Rush. Was a bit weird seeing O'Neill and Carter play it straight though in the pilot. Favorite would be SG1 to the end of season 8 (I think).. just before O'Neill becomes a guest star and Mitchell and Vala join the team - although Kudos on the 200th episode, particularly this bit...

(Hehe.. Make it spin! :p)

Atlantis was also very good for the most part I thought - mostly for McKay - and I love that Civilization-style episode where he and Sheppard (a far better O'Neill than Mitchell) are unwittingly controlling real countries on a planet. It did end very abruptly though.. the finalé could easily have been a 2-parter and a TV movie to finish off some of the questions would have been nice.

BSG I didn't like initially, but it came into its own when they discovered the Pegasus and the immediate aftermath, only to lose its way again in S4 with all the religion-heavy episodes. Not sure how I feel about the ending to this day.

Must check out this Dark Matter you're all talking about though.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Must check out this Dark Matter you're all talking about though.

It's dreadful.

Every science fiction cliché you could imagine in the first half hour, followed by the most telegraphed of "twists".

The world it's set in has got about a millimetre of depth, which is more than any of the "characters". I hurt my eyes I was rolling them so much watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Watching TNG face of the enemy, why do they keep referring to Deseve as ensign?

Surely he was stripped of rank when he defected to the Romulans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

368100 wrote: »
    Watching TNG face of the enemy, why do they keep referring to Deseve as ensign?

Surely he was stripped of rank when he defected to the Romulans?

Not sure, maybe you have to go through a court martial first, before being formally removed of rank? (where it's a disciplinary measure)

I understand the commission officers ranking, but I don't get the NCO ranks. is chief petite officer the highest rank O'Brien can achieve ?!?

SarahBM wrote: »
    is chief petite officer the highest rank O'Brien can achieve ?!?

Nothing petite about the Chief :P Trek most closely follows the Navy ranking system. See here (on the right hand side) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-commissioned_officer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I understand the commission officers ranking, but I don't get the NCO ranks. is chief petite officer the highest rank O'Brien can achieve ?!?

There is nothing petite about Miles O'Brien. :P

Edit: Damn you Myrddin! I'm always late to the party.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

most non officers are Crewman, very few actually get the nod and have a rank called out in the programme

and the fact the chiefs jumps to Lt. and then back to Chief Petty a couple of times is hilarious

and the fact the chiefs jumps to Lt. and then back to Chief Petty a couple of times is hilarious

Indeed, a lot of his history is kinda borked. Tactical officer on the Rutledge despite being a non-comm? Hardly likely...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Myrddin wrote: »
    Indeed, a lot of his history is kinda borked. Tactical officer on the Rutledge despite being a non-comm? Hardly likely...

tbh i think its more a case he came in a guest star, worked the irish charm and then they wanted to keep him around.

The Rutledge one is a bit weird, even ignoring the rank stuff, why would anyone go from tactical officer on a fairly decent ship (nebula class was no slouch) to transporter chief on the flagship, i wouldnt do it

• Advertisement

He was on the bridge first as helmsman

had forgotten that actually

tbh i think its more a case he came in a guest star, worked the irish charm and then they wanted to keep him around.

The Rutledge one is a bit weird, even ignoring the rank stuff, why would anyone go from tactical officer on a fairly decent ship (nebula class was no slouch) to transporter chief on the flagship, i wouldnt do it

I know what you mean by Irish Charm:

Very true, but was that in All Good Things (I can't quite remember)? If so, it's no doubt shoe-horning at its finest. As far as I remember too he had an Ensign pip on at the helm too?

Was it not him and Data at the Helm/Conn in Encounter at Farpoint?

Edit Data and O Brien in the Battle Bridge station

Was it not him and Data at the Helm/Conn in Encounter at Farpoint?

Edit Data and O Brien in the Battle Bridge station

Struggling to remember tbh, I'm mixing up Farpoint & AGT I think. Kinda remember him more in the battle bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I know what you mean by Irish Charm:

This is why I love DS9, characters have more of a sense of realism about them than idealism in TNG and VOY

368100 wrote: »
    This is why I love DS9, characters have more of a sense of realism about them than idealism in TNG and VOY

I actually love the sense of stylized reality in TNG, the early episodes were very close to TOS. No wonder with Mr Roddenberry involved, though he had a knack of pissing off the studio heads! :D
    It was meant to be idealistic, the whole idea was that mankind had moved on from hatred, greed, racism, selfishness, well it was a nice dream while it lasted, we're as selfish, greedy and stupid as ever...

On to season 4 ep 12. It's so cute the way Odo tries to impress Kira all the time. There was a nice bit of dialogue between Odo and Worf at the start about how they both like order and to have things a certain way, like their quarters :D
    I wish I could take a few days off to just relax and enjoy watching this.

Referring to idealism, I definitely prefer Rodenberry's vision of the future. I cannot stand all the dystopian crap that's on tv now. Especially shows like the walking dead etc. I prefer to think the better of people and society which is why I prefer Trek to other sci fi things set in the future.

• Advertisement

On to season 4 ep 12. It's so cute the way Odo tries to impress Kira all the time. There was a nice bit of dialogue between Odo and Worf at the start about how they both like order and to have things a certain way, like their quarters :D
    I wish I could take a few days off to just relax and enjoy watching this.

Referring to idealism, I definitely prefer Rodenberry's vision of the future. I cannot stand all the dystopian crap that's on tv now. Especially shows like the walking dead etc. I prefer to think the better of people and society which is why I prefer Trek to other sci fi things set in the future.

I think the world that Trek hints towards is far more dystopic than most people care to see / admit.

Barely an episode goes by without something happening that reveals another little aspect of how dark life in the federation is.

Particularly TnG and DS9

Advertisement