Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

crazyderk wrote: »
    Michael eddigton is a great character I have to say, he brings out such passion in Sisko.

I'm milling through season 5 and some of the episodes are quality. I don't want to post anything and spoil it for Sarah!

I really appreciate you guys not spoiling ds9 for me. Thanks.

I'm still only on season 4. At first I wasn't sure about Eddington but he grows on ya. It's not to see an ordinary officer for once. Not a super duper one like most of the main characters. But I mean that in a good way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

So, how would you address the Borg issue? Inviting them round for a cup of Earl Grey is not going to work with them.

While the Borg are presented as an unstoppable irresistable force, it clearly isn't the case. They are regularly foiled quite easily by small groups of people.

Given what we know about the Federations ability to play the extreme long game in the galactic game of thrones, I don't think it'd be outlandish to suggest that the massacre at wolf 359 was a false flag op planned by Starfleet to eliminate an outdated fleet and to free up space at the top to put the right officers in the right places.

Probably politically it was suddenly acceptable for all resources to be poured into the Starfleet.

Right after wolf 359 the federation suddenly began cranking out warships like the defiant and the Prometheus which allow them to finish off the cardassians and Breen once and for all.

It has also been shown many times that the Borg can be communicated with, bargained with, and enter into treaties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

^^ christ almighty, we all must be watching a different show to you

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-star-trek-was-rebooted-wrong/

Great article.

Particularly agree with the second point. Number 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Finished up season 5 - the war has started!

"It's a sign from Sisko telling me he'll be back"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Myrddin wrote: »
    ^^ christ almighty, we all must be watching a different show to you

Just to remind us of what made TNG and Trek in general great:

Oh my god, Lwaxanna and Odo got hitched!!!!

Oh it definitely does that, the mere act of throwing a blind eye to S31 achieves that end. No arguments there, however, I still no no evidence of the Federation being a 'dark' place to live in :)

It's not that it's dark but just not as enlightened as it lets on

Haha here we are putting spoilers on a show from tbe 90s
    Gotta love Trek nerds sense of community

Major Kira is having the O'Brien's baby. This is a bit weird.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Haha here we are putting spoilers on a show from tbe 90s
    Gotta love Trek nerds sense of community

Our only flaw is, we care too much. ;):p

edit:
    At least until the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. :)

On to season 5 ep1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

SarahBM wrote: »
    On to season 5 ep1

Myself and the wife are watching from the start. I haven't watched ds9 for easily a decade. After just one season, I remember why it's my favourite Trek. As an older guy who dabbles in acting, I must say that the guest stars are very strong. Anyone spot Mike from Breaking Bad? :-D

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Myself and the wife are watching from the start. I haven't watched ds9 for easily a decade. After just one season, I remember why it's my favourite Trek. As an older guy who dabbles in acting, I must say that the guest stars are very strong. Anyone spot Mike from Breaking Bad? :-D

Avery Brooks really takes the mantle from Shatner.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Anyone spot Mike from Breaking Bad? :-D

Nope, who did he play?

Yes!!! Finally!!! Dax and Worf get it together!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Nope, who did he play?

didnt he play the dude on the planet where they where killing each other and the leader of the bajorin religion stays behind on the planet with him, when they kill each other they "respawn"

didnt he play the dude on the planet where they where killing each other and the leader of the bajorin religion stays behind on the planet with him, when they kill each other they "respawn"

Ooooooh yeah, indeed! I remember those characters well enough as it's a very dark episode (not the best really).

yeh wasnt a great one, kai upaka or something wasnt it? the bajorn woman? kai something anyways..

yeh wasnt a great one, kai upaka or something wasnt it? the bajorn woman? kai something anyways..

Yep, she 'died' when the runabout they were on was taken out by an orbiting satellite, and had to remain there as a result.

• Advertisement

Thats it! i forgot she died, i thought she just decided to stay, but your right. then kai winn came along in the show.

Thats it! i forgot she died, i thought she just decided to stay, but your right. then kai winn came along in the show.

Indeed :) The whole Bariel & Winn competition kicked off then to decide who would be the next Kai. I know Winn was played as a dislikable character, have to say though, Louise Fletcher was excellent at portraying her. Particularly when she became more concurrent in the later seasons

Yeh definitely she was the joffery of DS9.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Yeh definitely she was the joffery of DS9.

Yet they would still make you think twice about her
    "Those of you who were in the Resistance, you're all the same. You think you're the only ones who fought the Cardassians, that you saved Bajor single-handedly. Perhaps you forget, Major, the Cardassians arrested any Bajoran found to be teaching the word of the Prophets. I was in a Cardassian prison camp for five years, and I can remember each and every beating I suffered. And while you had your weapons to protect you, all I had was my faith... and my courage. Walk with the Prophets child... I know I will."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Love the whole 'O'Brien must suffer' thinge

DS9 was a great show. The Dominion war really made it stand out.

Other than Janeway who just got her ship lost.

Daith wrote: »
    Yet they would still make you think twice about her

You could warm to here at times, that's for sure. Usually though, it would be short lived because she was so self obsessed, maniacal, and could be downright evil too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

You could warm to here at times, that's for sure. Usually though, it would be short lived because she was so self obsessed, maniacal, and could be downright evil too.

DS9 was rather good at that. Oh look Dukat is a good guy now! Oh wait, no he isn't.

DS9 was rather good at that. Oh look Dukat is a good guy now! Oh wait, no he isn't.

Ha, very true. Dukat is a great example, the charisma, confidence, and conviction of Dukat was almost admirable at times. He was like a bad guy that you kinda wanted to win in the end, but didn't really because you knew what he was really like, & what he stood for. Damar perhaps even more so, because he actually became a bad guy come good guy character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Good guy or bad guy, very entertaining character. Bit like Garak a very 'grey' character

• Advertisement

Trials and Tribble-ations :-)

Advertisement