Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

SarahBM wrote: »
    Trials and Tribble-ations :-)

That was a deadly episode :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The episode where Keiko O'Brien was possessed by an alien who wanted to destroy the wormhole!!! Brilliant!!! She played the baddie very well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

That was a deadly episode :D

Sisko was always the true successor to Kirk :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Daith wrote: »
    Sisko was always the true successor to Kirk :)

Did you watch "The Captains" documentry? Avery Brooks is a nut job.

Did you watch "The Captains" documentry? Avery Brooks is a nut job.

yeah i didnt like him offscreen at all - but apparently him and Cirroc Lofton (Jake) are good friends offscreen too

• Advertisement

yeah i didnt like him offscreen at all - but apparently him and Cirroc Lofton (Jake) are good friends offscreen too

I was thinking that they would have to have good relationship, because it would never work on screen if they hated each other.
    Was the whole Kira carrying the chiefs baby story done to cover up nana visitor being pregnant in real life?

i think so yeah, she and Bashir had a baby irl iirc

Yeah, from her IMDB page
    "Gave birth to her son, Django El Tahir El Siddig, during the filming of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993) episode Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Let He Who Is Without Sin... (1996). Not surprisingly, she did not appear in that episode."

I didn't realize deep space 9 was filmed so early I'm the 90s. I think it has really stood the test of time!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

You think thats bad, The next gen was released in '87! Thats 28 years ago! We have a young student in work and one of the lads was slagging me because i used to have a "Riker" beard, the student was like "whos riker" when the guy explained it was star trek the next gen, the response was "yeh my da used to watch that" haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I didn't realize deep space 9 was filmed so early I'm the 90s. I think it has really stood the test of time!!!!

I don't think a show which featured a religious terrorist as a hero would ever be made these days! (Could be wrong though!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

All this talk of DS9 is killing me. I've promised myself I'm not doing another trip through that show until it is out on BluRay.

Any idea when that might be???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

You think thats bad, The next gen was released in '87! Thats 28 years ago! We have a young student in work and one of the lads was slagging me because i used to have a "Riker" beard, the student was like "whos riker" when the guy explained it was star trek the next gen, the response was "yeh my da used to watch that" haha

fook him :mad:

I still watch TNG as much as possible and in 50 years (i'll be 83) ill still be watching it.

A) because its awesome
    B) because TV channels will still show it

I have never watched the original series. Maybe I'll try that next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I find all but the very best of it very difficult to watch.

It also suffers slightly from being so influential on subsequent fiction. Every episode will have you rolling your eyes at what seems like some sci-fi cliché that's been done to death over and over again..... only it hadn't been when TOS was made.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think they had to replace the set every other day because Shatner would chew the scenery. Just remember, the budget was miniscule, the actors cheap and when the moonshot happened it got canned.

Oh my god that is so cringe! I don't know if I would be able to hack 3 seasons of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Oh my god that is so cringe! I don't know if I would be able to hack 3 seasons of that!

It does have some very good speeches and messages about the cold war & race relations

It does have some very good speeches and messages about the cold war & race relations

I may save it for when I am finished my masters. Then I can watch TOS and all the movies :D

I really am enjoying DS9 way more than I thought I would.

I may save it for when I am finished my masters. Then I can watch TOS and all the movies :D

I really am enjoying DS9 way more than I thought I would.

The TOS movies are epic.

apart from the motionless picture, and the final frontier.

The TOS movies are epic.

apart from the motionless picture, and the final frontier.

I liked all of them, even the motion picture "Vger!" :D

• Advertisement

I liked all of them, even the motion picture "Vger!" :D

It's watchable, but the Final Frontier is dreadful. It's as bad as the new ones.

I like the new ones :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Have you seen some of the original 6 movies? With the exception of number 5 (and 1, but one is one I like too though you have to 'know' TOS' I think to appreciate it) they're so much better than the new tripe. Not in bling way obviously, but in terms of actual substance, there's no comparison. You should give TOS a run through at some stage, when you have the time. The blu ray remasters make them a lot more watchable, but as you know, they're a product of their time. I'm doing a run through of TOS at the mo, nearly finished season 1 and have really enjoyed it - it's different, and interesting to look back on the social zeitgeists of the time that are reflected in the show too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

TOS movies?

Simples,

I was a bit unfair perhaps.

They are not bad films. I just don't think they are Startrek films. They're a bit of fun, but they're just that. They're action block busters, and apart from the first ten minutes of the first one, they are bland.

They're fun to watch and a bit entertaining, but they don't really say anything.

From start to finish Startrek is social commentary and it is saying something,

New uniforms!!!!

Myrddin wrote: »
    Let's post the more of the quote shall we:

Sure, the situation was dire. But you're still forgetting about the prime directive. It can't be chosen when and when not to be enacted, it's there, all the time. It's a policy of non interference in the affairs of another world, where that world chooses not to receive help/support etc. The Federation were warned away from Turkana IV several times, & while the situation there sucks, the Federation are powerless to interfere lest they break the cardinal principle the organisation is founded upon.

It's a sovereign planet, they may as well storm over to Romulus to improve the rights of the citizens there. So again, while the prime directive certainly doesn't help the people affected by all this, it's there & must be upheld. The resources thing is nonsense, we've seen countless Federation worlds that were not rich in resources.

Just watching TnG "The Masterpiece Society" on sci-fi there.

When there is some prime genetic material (swag) to be whisked back to Earth (Rome) suddenly the Prime Directive takes a back seat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Now it has to be said those are extreme examples. :D
    A lot of it is great, as mentioned above, Kirk has some great speeches and once you get past the the wobbly sets, Styrofoam rocks and spaceships being held up by strings, it is actually good. All the basics are there and it's invaluable, because a lot of things in other Trek incarnations refer back to it, so it will actually make newer Trek episodes better!

Just thought of this today, you cannot be a Trekkie and not have seen this:

TOS movies?

Simples,

I'm sorry but no. There is no way that you can lump 3 in with 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm sorry but no. There is no way that you can lump 3 in with 5

Agreed, 3 is pretty good to be fair, and you need it as a bridge between 2 and 4. Also for this:

Come on.. I defy anyone to tell me that (particularly the music) isn't epic! :D

Advertisement