Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Sarah, Star Trek will always be like a discussion on Linux.
    Ask what distro is the best and 5 minutes later, chairs will be thrown.
    In the end I go with my motto "I know what I likes and if you didn't, well, yeah, that's just like, your opinion, man!". And we all know what Harry Callahan said about opinions. :pac::D

I am afraid I don't know who that is and I don't know what Linux is either :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to throw chairs, but I just don't like being told what I should and shouldn't like.

So the Dominion are just after coming through the wormhole, but I think I will save part 2 for tomorrow night when I can keep my eyes open. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

SarahBM wrote: »
    I am afraid I don't know who that is and I don't know what Linux is either :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to throw chairs, but I just don't like being told what I should and shouldn't like.

So the Dominion are just after coming through the wormhole, but I think I will save part 2 for tomorrow night when I can keep my eyes open. :)

I'm not arguing against you, just saying, Trekkies will hold very passionate opinions. :D
    Harry Callahan=Dirty Harry.

The JJ films.are good action adventure flicks and, had they been called Space Journey, I would have enjoyed them all the more.

As they are, however, they took a message cenntric and meaningful Science Fiction and changed it into Science Fantasy with nothing of substance beneath the surface. They are very well made and enjoyable but just not Trek. IMHO of course.

Oh and Ubuntu!!

Dukat!!! You Traitor!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Abrams films are tentpole fodder. Entertaining, I'll grant you, but dumb with wafer thin plotting. Hope the Pegg written one is better.

• Advertisement

Lewis Zimmerman wanted to use Julian as a template for a new EMH LOL

Dukat!!! You Traitor!!!!

C'mon, you know you can't trust him as far as you can throw him!

Now that I would have liked. Please state the nature of the medical emergency.
    Just the right kind of smarmy, but likable. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

This is one of my all time favourite episodes of any tv show ever.

It has a bit of everything in it.

It's also one of the few episodes where you get a little look into civilian life in the federation.

There's more in this episode regards life in the future than most of the rest of the series.

is the Ugenics war in one of the movies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Nope, but there's plenty of lore/data (:P) throughout all of the series about it

Well, the eugenics wars happened in the 90's, so no. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I know they are different. It is a reboot after all. I am just saying I really enjoyed the JJ Abrams films, and I thought it had potential as a show, but we were never going to get that with big Hollywood cast.

I totally get that there is more of a message and social commentary to the Trek series like DS9. And I love Roddenberry's vision.

But why can't I like both. I don't see the new Trek films as bland and generic. That's your opinion. I thought they were great.

It is the same for when people past comments when someone says Voyager was their favourite (and it is mine as a matter of fact). People always criticize Voyager as being the weakest show, but in fairness each incarnation of Star Trek has it's weak moments.

Just because I am not a die hard fan like some of the wonderful people on here, doesn't mean I can't enjoy Trek and take what I want from it.

Anyway I am off to watch Season 5 episode 14 of DS9

You got me wrong (but I get why and it is my fault).

There is NOTHING wrong with enjoying the new Abrams films. I didn't presume to tell you what you should like. But they are not Star Trek. They are random space action movies which share a name with a franchise which a lot of people like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

C'mon, you know you can't trust him as far as you can throw him!

That was the single biggest shocker in DS9 for me, I remember watching it with friends and being stunned,

Season 6 ep 1. The war has begun.
    I think Kira and Odo are very brave remaining on the station.
    Dammit I want to join Starfleet and help fight the Dominion!!!!! Someone get me a phaser rifle so I can shoot that treacherous bastard Dukat!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Season 6 ep 1. The war has begun.
    I think Kira and Odo are very brave remaining on the station.
    Dammit I want to join Starfleet and help fight the Dominion!!!!! Someone get me a phaser rifle so I can shoot that treacherous bastard Dukat!!!!

You're catching up with me! I'm on episode 15

There has been some great episodes in season 6 mark alaimo has played a blinder and you really get to see how nuts he is.

does anyone find there has been a lot of filler episodes. It feels like its dominion dominion dominion filler filler filler dominion filler dominion filler filler etc.

you could say that I guess but in fairness it would have gotten boring if they kept with the Dominion story all the time.

Dukat is a megalomaniac. What a psychopath. He sti thinks he was saving Bajor during the Occupation. He is so deluded. How can Zeeal have anything to do with him! He wanted to kill her when he first found her, then he left her behind on DS9 when he joined the Dominion. He practically disowned her. How can she stomach him.

And as for that female changeling. I hate her!!!

The Klingons to the rescue!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dukat is brilliant IMO - probably the most complicated, developed character in Trek (certainly outside of the main casts) with the possible exception of Picard. Fantastic job by the writers and Marc Alaimo and the best is yet to come Sarah ;) Wait till you get to 6x11

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

In a franchise with quite alot of Mary Sues, Dukat is by far the most realistic character they created. They did a great job.

• Advertisement

he is just despicable! And Zeeal - poor Garek! :(:(:(

I dont know if I can trust Odo though. I think he will get seduced by the Founder again, she hasn't done anything quiet bad enough yet to alienate him (no pun intended).

I need a break. But dying for Dax and Worf's wedding. I know
    Dax dies
    , when does that happen? I need to emotionally prepare myself.

I am going to watch the hurling, do some college work, and then I won't feel so bad when I continue.
    I should have done my masters in trek :D would have been way more fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

he is just despicable! And Zeeal - poor Garek! :(:(:(

Sacrifice of Angels.. great episode! Dukat's transformation from interstellar despot to heartbroken father in the space of a few hours (or 15 minutes in episode time) is an amazing performance. You can see where things just "snap" for him after the Defiant comes through the wormhole.
    I need a break. But dying for Dax and Worf's wedding. I know
    Dax dies
    , when does that happen? I need to emotionally prepare myself.

The wedding is a fun episode alright and a nice relief after the previous few. Dax looks amazing too, but as I think I remember reading one of the producers saying "how can you go wrong with a 6 foot fashion model" :p

I don't want to spoil the other bit for you,
    but it's not for a while yet so don't worry!
    I should have done my masters in trek :D would have been way more fun!

Yup.. it's amazing how much trek trivia I've managed to retain over the years. Have all the films and series (excluding Enterprise save for a few episodes) and still stick one of them on fairly regularly. Only did a DS9 runthrough a while ago myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

As much as I love the Doctor, he's not a sentient being in my eyes. In Flesh and Blood he's talking about holographic rights.

Data is a sentient being, he has a positronic brain and his own programming. The Doctor imitates sentience and is part of a computer programe. So if he is sentient, isn't it Voyagers computer that is sentient?

IvySlayer wrote: »
    As much as I love the Doctor, he's not a sentient being in my eyes. In Flesh and Blood he's talking about holographic rights.

Data is a sentient being, he has a positronic brain and his own programming. The Doctor imitates sentience and is part of a computer programe. So if he is sentient, isn't it Voyagers computer that is sentient?

I disagree. The doctor grows beyond his programming. He evolves if you like, into a sentient being IMO. He moves beyond his programming, just the way Data did by learning.
    If the Doctor was limited to the EMH programme, he couldn't have learned compassion and understanding, which the initial EMH clearly lacked. The doctor even adjusted his own programming at one or two points. The EMH would never have done that. Therefore I think the doctor learned to think for himself and is sentient. Sentience means being self aware and intelligent, am I right?
    I would need to do a Voyager run through to be able pick out specific examples, it's been ages.

Voyagers computer is self aware and intelligent so why isn't that a sentient being?

His compassion and understanding are sophisticated computer programs.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Voyagers computer is self aware and intelligent so why isn't that a sentient being?

His compassion and understanding are sophisticated computer programs.

The computer is not self aware and just does what it is told. It cannot adjust it's own programming, or defend itself if someone tries to change it. The Doctor could (to a certain extent)
    I don't see how his compassion and understanding are computer programmes because if that was the case, he would have been compassionate and would have had a lovely bedside manner from the off. That was not the case. When first activated, the Doctor was abrupt and rude and had no people skills what so ever! By the time Voyager returns to earth, he is a completely different man IMO. The computer, perhaps could have developed more if given the chance, but I guess we can never know that.

The Doctor is an extension of the computer. Because he was nice several seasons on does not indicate sentience, he simply changes his programming. When he came back to Jupiter station Zimmerman changed his greeting protocol to be friendlier, did he give him sentience or did he simply adjust some lines of code?

Computers run 90% of the ship automatically, the computer will self destruct the ship if told to, just the same when Janeway told the doctor to delete himself if the Borg tried to assimilate Voyager.

Computers do learn and adapt.

Afraid I'll just have to disagree with you. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Doctor proved his ability to grow and adapt beyond his original programming...and regardless of whatever 'container' (the ships computer) holds his program, he demonstrated many times that he had grown beyond mere instruction/responses. What about his mobile emitter? That allowed complete independence of any ships computer & he retained everything he had before. The mobile emitter nullifies the 'it must be the computer' argument enough for me.

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    The Doctor proved his ability to grow and adapt beyond his original programming...and regardless of whatever 'container' (the ships computer) holds his program, he demonstrated many times that he had grown beyond mere instruction/responses. What about his mobile emitter? That allowed complete independence of any ships computer & he retained everything he had before. The mobile emitter nullifies the 'it must be the computer' argument enough for me.

yep, the mobile emitter allowed him freedom from sickbay, whereas the computer could never survive outside the ship

Advertisement