Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

368100 wrote: »
    The last scene with vic is a bit of a tearjerker alright!

Ok, I'm not there yet. Just starting the final ep!

And I looked at the spoiler in the previous post by mistake :-(

I'm going to be an emotional wrecked after this

The end of my Deep Space 9 journey has ended :-( I'm a bit sad now. I was a little disappointed with the ending

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really enjoyed the last few scenes of DS9. Not quite as good as the final scene in TNG, but definitely up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Same, very moving ending I thought. The palpable relief because the war ended, the characters going their separate ways, relationships ending, the prophets story arc concluding, and poor Jake :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And that music :(

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    And that music :(

That song! I am welling up just thinking about it!
    Never mind poor Jake, what about poor Kira!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I've about 7 episodes left. The breen have joined the war. Damar has freed Worf and Ezri and Kai winn has joined Dukat. We are now steam rolling towards the end.

The Defiant :eek::eek::eek::eek:

crazyderk wrote: »
    The Defiant :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Aye, she was a good ship....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Never noticed this before

dWZP9.png

• Advertisement

ok, i normally give Sci Fi a wide berth in terms of what they can do. Time travel....why not......regeneration.....come back to life, what ever floats your boat. But Julian Bashir thinking of, designing, explaining and getting Miles to come up with some sort of telepathic mind meld device then going into Sloane's mind and getting the cure all within an hour? I don't bloody think so.

on the other hand the Defiant is back! hooray:D:D!

The whole section 31 thing seemed very glanced over IMO. They could have spent so much time exploring it gradually over the course of the season, bit by bit rather than trying to cram it into one or two stand alone eps.

As regards the post above with the screen shot, yes they are giants

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Random stuff that comes up on YouTube is great :p I'd watch these...

Well I finished up DS9 last night and what can I say? Definitely one of my favourite Treks. I cant fault the last 6-7 episodes in general and the finale was great. From the uprising and the Cardassians turning to the Federation pressing on to Cardassia. The goodbyes from the crew each going their own way was very emotional and being a dad myself I even shed a tear for poor Jake.

I was thinking of following Sarah and doing a Voyager run through but I think I'll read a book and do a voyager run through next summer to space it out!

crazyderk wrote: »
    Well I finished up DS9 last night and what can I say? Definitely one of my favourite Treks. I cant fault the last 6-7 episodes in general and the finale was great. From the uprising and the Cardassians turning to the Federation pressing on to Cardassia. The goodbyes from the crew each going their own way was very emotional and being a dad myself I even shed a tear for poor Jake.

I was thinking of following Sarah and doing a Voyager run through but I think I'll read a book and do a voyager run through next summer to space it out!

I might leave Voyager til September when I'm finished college but having said that I may go home tonight and be like, Feck it! And put it on. Am I right in saying that only TNG and TOS have been released on blue ray?

If you want something quick & handy, take a look at Space: Above and Beyond - it's only one season, & after the first few eps is very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i loved that show, rewatched it recently and it's pretty dated in terms of special effects, with star trek you can kind of forgive that because the characters and dialogue are generally awesome but it was difficult to watch space above and beyond because it takes a while to develop those characters, and it's just one season too which is a shame because it had loads of potential

That for me this is exactly my problem with tv shows today. They try to completely develop the characters in the first few eps, and then there is nothing left to do with them after that and the show fizzles out and gets cancelled after 2 seasons. Nobody seems to want to spend the time on a good show with potential. It has to be an immediate hit. Shows like SG1 and TNG even DS9 took a bit to get going, but they are real character driven. Firefly had the potential and got axed.
    I feel the whole tv series market has been completely saturated. Quantity rather than quality with a few exceptions. That's why I end up rewatching my fav shows instead of newer ones. I am afraid I'll start watching a show and just when it's getting good or I'm getting invested in the characters, it will get cancelled.
    Sigh. rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Myrddin wrote: »
    If you want something quick & handy, take a look at Space: Above and Beyond - it's only one season, & after the first few eps is very enjoyable

Where is it online?

Where is it online?

Here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Where is it online?

All the episodes should be on youtube too

Well I caved. Caretaker part one and two :-)

SarahBM wrote: »

Cant bleedin take you anywhere!

Do both crews love each other already, or is that episode 3?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

:D

Chakotay loves Janeway but B'Elanna, not so much.
    It's a bit odd that Harry's first mission he is chief of operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Any insight on Janeway's interpretation of the prime directive in caretaker?

Taking massive steps to interfere in the natural development of the area in order to preserve an artificial status-quo, imposed by an outside operator?

In my view that is an extremely abstract interpretation of non-interference.

Any insight on Janeway's interpretation of the prime directive in caretaker?

Taking massive steps to interfere in the natural development of the area in order to preserve an artificial status-quo, imposed by an outside operator?

In my view that is an extremely abstract interpretation of non-interference.

1) The Caretaker many years ago inadvertantly damaged the environment of the Ocampa planet.
    2) He decided (with another) to stay behind, and care for the Ocampa.
    3) After many years, he begins to die.
    4) He bolsters the Ocampan energy store while he still could, & then seals the external tunnels to the Ocampan underground.
    5) He then activates his self destruct mechanism, to prevent the Kazon taking over the array.
    6) Chakotay destroys a Kazon ship in the ensuing battle, & the Kazon ship damages the array and the self destruct mechanism.
    7) Janeway can either destroy the array to save the Ocampa as requested by the caretaker, or use the array to send her crew home & thus likely doom the Ocamap.

Were it not for the battle, the array would have destroyed itself. So I think she felt involved enough at that stage to act.
    Janeway is now left with a difficult decision. Should she use the array to return to the Alpha Quadrant and let it fall into Kazon hands or destroy the array, as the Caretaker wanted at the cost of a way home? Tuvok reminds his captain that any action taken to protect the Ocampa will affect the balance of power in this region of space; they would have to comply with the Prime Directive. But Janeway questions the validity of the Prime Directive in this situation because, regardless of whether they chose to become involved in the affairs of the Ocampa or the Kazon, they are involved nonetheless

http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Caretaker_(episode)

Personally I don't think I could live with the death of the Ocompa on my conscience of I had used the array to get back to earth.
    Plus how long was it going to take them to figure out how to reprogram it to send them home. The Kazon would have returned on force and perhaps have destroyed Voyager before they could manage to escape. I agree with the captain.
    But that's not to say I am right.

• Advertisement

But that's not to say I am right.

Indeed, there's merit to both sides of the argument. I think though, she made the correct decision where the 'spirit' of the prime directive is concerned. It is ultimately, to protect people where possible. It becomes less vague where other governments etc are concerned, who expressly refute such help. And indeed even less vague, where you're dealing with a pre-warp civilisation.

Advertisement