Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

SarahBM wrote: »
    I was watching an episode of Voyager (learning curve) and my dad came in and Sat down and proceeded to laugh his was through the entire episode. He said I was sad, that Voyager was so amateur and then laughed some more. Seems the be the standard response of people who don't like sci fi and have tiny imaginations.

Make those very same comments next time he's screaming & shouting at a football match ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Myrddin wrote: »
    Make those very same comments next time he's screaming & shouting at a football match ;)

Oh yes, my own standard one is "22 men chasing an inflated pigs bladder round a field".

Ha, not that I've anything against football, I just don't like when people bash other peoples preferences like that. Each to their own I say :)

Ha, not that I've anything against football, I just don't like when people bash other peoples preferences like that. Each to their own I say :)

Nah, bashing's more fun! :p
    How often have I heard "oh, its just a bunch of guys driving round and round and round, how can you watch that sh*t!" about F1.

Nah, bashing's more fun! :p
    How often have I heard "oh, its just a bunch of guys driving round and round and round, how can you watch that sh*t!" about F1.

Hey now, I love F1 so I'll have none of that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

+1 with you there Myrddin!!! :D:pac::P;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Oh yes, my own standard one is "22 men chasing an inflated pigs bladder round a field".

Come on. Wednesday night, under the lights , old Trafford , European cup....... A thousand times better than star trek

Unless he was a Star Trek fan and was comparing it to DD9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Come on. Wednesday night, under the lights , old Trafford , European cup....... A thousand times better than star trek

:eek:

MODS - Stwike him vewy woughly and thwow him to the gwound!

Honestly? Nope. Rugby maybe but good Trek generally won, if not seen before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Well I shout and roar at soccer and rugby as much as him so I can't mock him over that. I do mock him about golf though. Not a sport.

:D

I'm watching the race, it's great so far. I'm just citing examples of what people say to me about F1, uncouth heathens the lot of them!

I'm watching the race, it's great so far. I'm just citing examples of what people say to me about F1, uncouth heathens the lot of them!

Me too, but I reckon the Chief could do a better job than some of those pit men ;);):cool:

Me too, but I reckon the Chief could do a better job than some of those pit men ;);):cool:

He would have looked after Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari better!
    But no chief could have saved Hamilton todsy. Go Sebastian!!!! (takes off shirt and whirls it through the air) Woooo!

dem's fightin' words! :eek::cool::P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Bring it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

It's because in the 20 years since those TNG episodes, the standard was still just as bad.

Except there was only 7 and 1/2 years between their first seasons and just over a half a year between the last TNG and the first voyager. And DS9 overlapped both.

Except there was only 7 and 1/2 years between their first seasons and just over a half a year between the last TNG and the first voyager. And DS9 overlapped both.

Yeah, i can't find out where those 20 years come from, unless he spent those 20 years on the USS Bozeman. :pac:

Yeah, i can't find out where those 20 years come from, unless he spent those 20 years on the USS Bozeman. :pac:

Yeah, not sure myself tbh honest folks - it was one of those moments where you think you're right at the time, but actually way off :o I still maintain the point though, that by the end of TNG, & half way through DS9...we should have never been inflicted with some of the writing that was inflicted on us by Voyager when it began. There was more than enough experience involved to hit the ground running with that show, but what we got, was essentially back to writing school stuff.

Yeah, not sure myself tbh honest folks - it was one of those moments where you think you're right at the time, but actually way off :o I still maintain the point though, that by the end of TNG, & half way through DS9...we should have never been inflicted with some of the writing that was inflicted on us by Voyager when it began. There was more than enough experience involved to hit the ground running with that show, but what we got, was essentially back to writing school stuff.

Well, they all probably started off with different writers. Also, back then shows didn't have a pool of about 20 writers and 15 producers to pick from.

Maybe you got the 20 years from time/space dilution due to traveling at high warp speed? Or your Heisenberg compensators are not properly calibrated.
    Or are you using an artificial singularity to power your ship? Those things can be a lot of trouble if they get infected with sentient beings.
    Other than that it could be that devil Q messing with you again.

• Advertisement

Well, they all probably started off with different writers. Also, back then shows didn't have a pool of about 20 writers and 15 producers to pick from.

Maybe you got the 20 years from time/space dilution due to traveling at high warp speed? Or your Heisenberg compensators are not properly calibrated.
    Or are you using an artificial singularity to power your ship? Those things can be a lot of trouble if they get infected with sentient beings.

Or your bioneural gel packs could get infected with a virus that hides in bacteria from cheese Neelix made. All possibilities.

Or your bioneural gel packs could get infected with a virus that hides in bacteria from cheese Neelix made. All possibilities.

I would definitely be wary of Neelix's cuisine, a lot of it looks seriously dodgy.
    One can understand Tuvok:

(not a spoiler, it doesn't give anything away)

Episode one season 2. The 37's

"We're going to land the ship!" - Tom's face!

Went a lot smoother than when Troi tried to land the Enterprise.

Different writers or not, it's no excuse for letting the standard drop like it did. Some of the episodes were almost fan fiction like in their ridiculousness.

I think it was the effect a rift in the space time continuum, caused by the formation of a cosmic string interacting with dark matter.

Janeway gave the crew a choice to stay on the planet. Nobody did. I think that was a little unrealistic

The actor who plays Nog in DS9 was in Voyager as a kazon kid who tried to kill Chakotay.

When does Janeway cut her hair, tis fair annoying

The actor who plays Nog in DS9 was in Voyager as a kazon kid who tried to kill Chakotay.

When does Janeway cut her hair, tis fair annoying

Her hair has it's own website!

http://www.trek.fm/feature-articles/2011/11/25/captain-janeway-and-the-ever-morphing-hairdo.html

Only Captain Kirk can say the same (nothing much to say about Picard and Sisko there):

http://shatnerstoupee.blogspot.ie/

Her hair has it's own website!

http://www.trek.fm/feature-articles/2011/11/25/captain-janeway-and-the-ever-morphing-hairdo.html

Only Captain Kirk can say the same (nothing much to say about Picard and Sisko there):

http://shatnerstoupee.blogspot.ie/

Oh my god!!! Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Voyager was fine. It produced some really good episodes but it just never took huge changes. It's like the Picard in Tapestry who didn't fight the Nausican and played it safe.

It's a show that I'll watch individual episodes but never the entire series again. Hell DS9 did more with the Maquis then Voyager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,502 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

oh god, the bionuromublyjumbly gel packs. i'd forgotten about them and all the nonsense they caused.

Advertisement