Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

oh god, the bionuromublyjumbly gel packs. i'd forgotten about them and all the nonsense they caused.

They only had 47 left in that episode. Considering how many times the ship was attacked over the years I wonder how many were left when they got back to earth.

They prob just made some. Hell, they made a cube beating shuttle/fighter FFS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

SarahBM wrote: »
    They only had 47 left in that episode. Considering how many times the ship was attacked over the years I wonder how many were left when they got back to earth.

I'd say they could use a food replicator to make them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Sure Voyager had unlimited energy and resources. :D

Daith wrote: »
    Sure Voyager had unlimited energy and resources. :D

Yes, that was never really fully explained. I guess they must have mined dilithium from asteroids via transporter, or something like that, but how long do these crystals last? And where do you get all that anti matter for the engines? That stuff don't grow on trees and contrary to popular scifi myth, half the galaxy is not made from the stuff. Can you replicate it? But then it would probably take as much energy to make it than it give out, so no gain here. Ah well, in the end it's just a show and Voyagers boundless energy is probably something like the six shooter that can discharge 37 bullets in any movie firefight and the fast and furious gearbox, which seems to have 53 gears.

• Advertisement

Yes, that was never really fully explained. I guess they must have mined dilithium from asteroids via transporter, or something like that, but how long do these crystals last? And where do you get all that anti matter for the engines? That stuff don't grow on trees and contrary to popular scifi myth, half the galaxy is not made from the stuff. Can you replicate it? But then it would probably take as much energy to make it than it give out, so no gain here. Ah well, in the end it's just a show and Voyagers boundless energy is probably something like the six shooter that can discharge 37 bullets in any movie firefight and the fast and furious gearbox, which seems to have 53 gears.

Meanwhile poor Chief O'Brien on the most strategic space station in the Galaxy had to wait weeks for a part for the Defiant. He should have just replicated it!

Meanwhile poor Chief O'Brien on the most strategic space station in the Galaxy had to wait weeks for a part for the Defiant. He should have just replicated it!

There are entire websites dedicated to the amount of shuttles Voyager must have had, since they seemed to crash one every 3 episodes.
    The even bigger mystery is, how did they replace their photon torpedoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The even bigger mystery is, how did they replace their photon torpedoes?

That was actually a concern early on in the show, it's laughable how it just became something brushed under the rug. The possibilities were endless for Voyager really, which is why is disappoints so much because the height of the shows aspirations was to be TNG 2.0 it seems.

They made a point of saying that the gel packs couldn't be replicated. I remember them mining deuterium in one episode.... Vaguely.

Plus the holodeck usage should have been severely curtailed considering the amount of energy used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ha, not that I've anything against football, I just don't like when people bash other peoples preferences like that. Each to their own I say :)

asking them what did they think of interstellar, sw, st... etc.. They can't just say, 'didn't see it' they have to say 'no i didn't see it, wouldn't watch that, hate scifi'

like people who don't drink coffee/tea. You ask them would they like a cup, they can't just say no, they have to say, 'no, i don't drink tea'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

like people who don't drink coffee/tea. You ask them would they like a cup, they can't just say no, they have to say, 'no, i don't drink tea'

That's because if they don't say it, their host will get all Mrs. Doyle, and say "Ah go on, you will." :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

They made a point of saying that the gel packs couldn't be replicated. I remember them mining deuterium in one episode.... Vaguely.

Plus the holodeck usage should have been severely curtailed considering the amount of energy used

Holodecks energy source is a mystery though, its a completely different source to the rest of the ship.

Plus the magic coffee nebula with the deflector probably solved all their problems

This maybe one of the more ridiculous episodes. Kes is eating everything around her and the ship is being pulled into a swarm of bugs in space.
    Intro of ensign Wildman

Edit. Chakotay thinks the creatures are sexually attracted to the ship!!! Bah ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ah Star Trek IV (currently on SyFy) .. still has an unmistakable charm even after all this time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Second best of the tos movies.

Have to agree..

- Chekov walking around mid-80s San Francisco asking for directions to a naval base with his Russian accent
    - Spock and his "colourful metaphors"
    - The hospital sequence is great too
    - And of course the moment the Bird of Prey decloaks over the whaling ship :p

Even though this film is just under 30 years old now :eek: it looks better in many ways than the newer versions. There's a lot to be said for models and practical effects over whatever some artist can dream up on his PC.

I'd go so far as to say that it's in the top 3 of the movie series. With the exception of First Contact the TNG movies were pretty poor really, and JJ's efforts have none of the character or charm of the originals... as I said in the Film forum, it's "Space War with Pretty People" (set in an Apple Store over a Brewery), not Star Trek.... but that's another argument :)

Also as a side note.. I've been checking out the Armada 3 mod for Sins of a Solar Empire recently...

According to that, the Whale Probe shows up there too :)

The hair has been cut!

Sometimes I think it's the best. Really re-watchable

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Space War with Pretty People (set in an Apple Store over a Brewery), not Star Trek

Lol, very true though.
    The hair has been cut!

By FAR, the worst hair of any Trek character is Chekov in TOS (season 2)

Picture-27.png

• Advertisement

Star Trek IV? Really? Sure, it's the cute and funny one, but it's all too much "let's put the Enterprise crew into present day San Francisco, hilarity ensues".
    Two things I don't understand, how people can hate Start Trek The Motion Picture (the idea behind it is genius and has even been linked to the Borg) and love IV (the idea behind it is not genius).
    The Wrath of Khan is the best of the TOS movies, the only debate about that can be "which one is second best"

Start Trek The Motion Picture (the idea behind it is genius and has even been linked to the Borg)

I actually really like TMP, it has a grandiose feel that none of the subsequent movies ever had (right up to current). The Enterprise refit launch scene is one of the best moments in any Trek film, & wipes the floor with the CGI gimmickery we've seen in later films. The story is brilliant, but it's not the most accessible film to watch - I think only serious Trek fans stand a chance of enjoying it.

Re the Borg thing, I'm not seeing the connection. The Borg would have assimilated it (if even, as it'd have been hardly worth the effort).

I actually really like TMP, it has a grandiose feel that none of the subsequent movies ever had (right up to current). The Enterprise refit launch scene is one of the best moments in any Trek film, & wipes the floor with the CGI gimmickery we've seen in later films. The story is brilliant, but it's not the most accessible film to watch - I think only serious Trek fans stand a chance of enjoying it.

Re the Borg thing, I'm not seeing the connection. The Borg would have assimilated it (if even, as it'd have been hardly worth the effort).

i wasn't sure either and I also don't really see it, but check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(Star_Trek)
    The Star Trek Encyclopedia speculates that there could be a connection between the Borg and V'ger, the vessel encountered in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. In this movie, Spock states "Any show of resistance would be futile, Captain.", which could be paraphrased as the Borg's "Resistance is futile". This idea of a connection is advanced in William Shatner's novel The Return. The connection was also suggested in a letter included in Starlog No. 160 (November 1990). The letter writer, Christopher Haviland, also speculated that the original Borg drones were members of a race called "The Preservers", which Spock had suggested in the original series episode "The Paradise Syndrome" might be responsible for why so many humanoids populate the galaxy. It was confirmed in the The Next Generation episode "The Chase" that an ancient species seeded hundreds, if not thousands of planets with their DNA, creating the Humans, Vulcans, Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians and many more. Coincidentally, in the novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (written by Gene Roddenberry), the Vejur entity notes that the Ilia probe is resisting the programming given to it because of residual memories and feelings for Captain Decker, from its precise replication of the Deltan lieutenant. When Vejur becomes aware of this, it decides that "the resistance was futile, of course".
    The extra section of the game Star Trek: Legacy contains the "Origin of the Borg", which tells the story of V'ger being sucked into a black hole. V'ger was found by a race of living machines which gave it a form suitable to fulfilling its simplistic programming. Unable to determine who its creator could be, the probe declared all carbon-based life an infestation of the creator's universe, leading to assimilation. From this, the Borg were created, as extensions of V'ger's purpose. Drones were made from those assimilated and merged into a collective consciousness. The Borg Queen was created out of the necessity for a single unifying voice. However, with thoughts and desires of her own, she was no longer bound to serve V'ger. This explanation, however, is not canon.

Personally I think The Borg predate the Voyager Space craft by thousands of years, so it's a stretch.

Personally I think The Borg predate the Voyager Space craft by thousands of years, so it's a stretch.

Indeed, the above is nothing but a coincidence of a couple of choice words, with some fan fiction mixed in. The Vaadwar encountered the Borg while mankind was still burning people at the stake, so there's no connection between the Borg & V'Ger.

Indeed, the above is nothing but a coincidence of a couple of choice words, with some fan fiction mixed in. The Vaadwar encountered the Borg while mankind was still burning people at the stake, so there's no connection between the Borg & V'Ger.

One of my pet peeves about the expanded Star Trek universe is how it makes the universe so small. Everything seems to be interconnected with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Never understood why the Federation did not modify the cloaking device on the USS Pegasus and have the upper hand in the quadrant.
    Admiral Pressman was a true leader
    Treaty of Algeron be damned!

Never understood why the Federation did not modify the cloaking device on the USS Pegasus and have the upper hand in the quadrant.

Upper hand in what though?

One of my pet peeves about the expanded Star Trek universe is how it makes the universe so small. Everything seems to be interconnected with each other.

Yeah, it's a common trait in fan fiction/non canon stuff. Personally, I've very little interest at all in the expanded universe, short of Continues & Axanar at the moment.

I'd imagine it'd have started an arms-race so to speak, with the other powers developing & implementing same...which wouldn't have been good for anyone. More interesting, is why they didn't implement it for the Dominion war (in conjunction with the other allies)...I suppose though it's not something you want in development with shapeshifters infiltrating & taking the research for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

In fleet defence

• Advertisement

I'd imagine it'd have started an arms-race so to speak, with the other powers developing & implementing same...which wouldn't have been good for anyone. More interesting, is why they didn't implement it for the Dominion war (in conjunction with the other allies)...I suppose though it's not something you want in development with shapeshifters infiltrating & taking the research for themselves.

Cloaking is too predictable. Now a genocidal virus that's how you win wars!

Advertisement