Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

I had completely blanked his spirit wheel crap. Thanks a lot guys

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Voyager was rarely terrible but also so rarely above boringly average. Yet many people, especially newer Trek fans, seem to like it more than the other series. As someone raised on a diet of TOS, TNG and DS9 I can't quite figure it out! Why does it appeal so much when there are series with better plots, more compelling characters, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

stannis wrote: »
    Voyager was rarely terrible but also so rarely above boringly average. Yet many people, especially newer Trek fans, seem to like it more than the other series. As someone raised on a diet of TOS, TNG and DS9 I can't quite figure it out! Why does it appeal so much when there are series with better plots, more compelling characters, etc?

I come from a Non- SciFi household. Voyager was my first intro to the Star Trek universe and I guess that is why I love it, but I have to say when I did my DS9 run through I loved that too. and TNG. I know I should watch TOS but I honestly can't bring myself to do it because I am afraid I will hate it :(

As I said before, the appeal to me was Janeway, a strong female scientist, something I could aspire to be, I guess. Gawd that sounds awful cheesey, doesn't it? But alas it is true.

But you can't say Voyager is alone with it's god awful episodes. TNG and DS9 had some howlers too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

SarahBM wrote: »

But you can't say Voyager is alone with it's god awful episodes. TNG and DS9 had some howlers too :D

Best DS9 episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IMBUa7w9K4

I was fairly young when it started. For me it was easy enough to understand. It was kinda like "we do have this big story. Sometimes old characters come back but usually it's one episode or a few episodes to deal with plots that have little to no bearing overall". So you could zone in and out of it usually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I come from a Non- SciFi household. Voyager was my first intro to the Star Trek universe and I guess that is why I love it, but I have to say when I did my DS9 run through I loved that too. and TNG. I know I should watch TOS but I honestly can't bring myself to do it because I am afraid I will hate it :(

As I said before, the appeal to me was Janeway, a strong female scientist, something I could aspire to be, I guess. Gawd that sounds awful cheesey, doesn't it? But alas it is true.

Do it! It's so worth it. It may be cheesy and 60's by today's standards, but there are so many good episodes in it. Don't be put off by cheesy Captain Kirk youtube compilations, you could do that about any of the captains and make them look ridiculous. Check this clip out, OK Shatner is always a bit hammy, but he had his moments. (Note: Don't fcuk with Spock!)

• Advertisement

I had completely blanked his spirit wheel crap. Thanks a lot guys

Blanked his spirit wheel?
    My people had a term for that. They called it "pretending to forget". There's a story my tribe would tell the youngsters.

I think Chakotay might be the best written character. He stayed true to his character all along. "Person who's native american but nobody not even himself gives a damn about being native american".

I had honestly forgotten about it. Was so poor

It's actually weird how he really didn't have any sort of character development really.
    Even if we take the "boring" characters from TNG, DS9 and Voyager, everyone had "some" use or got decent character development. I think Chakotay's only actual use was when they got lost in chaotic space and erm, dealing with the maqui officers. His relationship with
    7of9 was only done due to his actor complaining his character had nothing to do

Now that I think about it, Tuvok seemed more like the commander and Chakotay more like "hey look, there's a guy".

Tombi! wrote: »
    It's actually weird how he really didn't have any sort of character development really.
    Even if we take the "boring" characters from TNG, DS9 and Voyager, everyone had "some" use or got decent character development. I think Chakotay's only actual use was when they got lost in chaotic space and erm, dealing with the maqui officers. His relationship with
    7of9 was only done due to his actor complaining his character had nothing to do

Now that I think about it, Tuvok seemed more like the commander and Chakotay more like "hey look, there's a guy".

I remember in the late 90's/early 00's it was possible to type "annoying dweeb" into a search engine (must have been MSN or Yahoo at the time) and one of the top results was Wesley Crusher.

Wasn't he in the show to attract teens to watch it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Blanked his spirit wheel?
    My people had a term for that. They called it "pretending to forget". There's a story my tribe would tell the youngsters.

I think Chakotay might be the best written character. He stayed true to his character all along. "Person who's native american but nobody not even himself gives a damn about being native american".

I remember when I was younger i thought the Native american thing was cool (but that may have been coloured by the fact that I was all about sexing him). Having watched it several times since it just comes across as horrifically naff an very much of its time... I can nearly hear that wind pipe song 'hey hi ho ho hi hey ho' everytime he is on screen talking bull****. Very much stinks of american apologetics for wiping out the native americans.

Wasn't he in the show to attract teens to watch it?

And then they thought about their target market and added 7 of 9. Oh yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Voyager episode 'The Fight'

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I switched back to the US Netflix last night so I'm going to try to power through Voyager over the next two months and get to the end (also watching The X-Files - Dwayne Barry just kidnapped Scully :( ).

Which episode is the one with The Rock in it?

Tsunkatse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Beefy78 wrote: »
    also watching The X-Files

Also doing a run through of that myself with the girlfriend, we're coming up to the end of season 7 now...

Riker "She's a tough little ship!"
    Worf "Little?!?"

Ha ha! watching TNG movies. In Generations, some of the crew from the enterprise have different uniforms. Some wearing the later TNG uniform, some wearing the Voyager/early DS9 uniform. After careful cosideration I think I prefer the uniforms in First Contact and later DS9 eps.

Riker "She's a tough little ship!"
    Worf "Little?!?"

Ha ha! watching TNG movies. In Generations, some of the crew from the enterprise have different uniforms. Some wearing the later TNG uniform, some wearing the Voyager/early DS9 uniform. After careful cosideration I think I prefer the uniforms in First Contact and later DS9 eps.

In Star Trek: Insurrection this happens. I had to look it up and looked who directed it... Johnathan Frakes did (Riker). I'm still not sure how drunk he was when he let this scene be in it.
    It's not spoilers but it's going to make you laugh/shake your head in despair when you see it. it's
    In the middle of a battle Riker says he's changing to manual flight control. Which involves a literal joystick popping up out of the side of the chair and he moves it, while learning left/right/etc as the ship moves in space

It's both beautiful and terrible at once.

That part makes me laugh every time!

I picture it as one of those motorbike games in an arcade, where you'd get on it and have to steer it.
    On the other hand, I kinda picture Frakes thinking "yeah, this is going to be deadly".

It actually does look good in a way but still "so how drunk were you when you added this?" is what I wonder.

• Advertisement

Sometimes I watch an episode of trek and I think, dear god I could have written a better episode or dialogue! Ha ha

Id be interested to see some good fanfic. any recommended sites?

Dunno anything about fanfic but if you like Garak, apparently the book by his actor is quite good.

His book is class. A brilliant view into Garak's make up

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Dunno anything about fanfic but if you like Garak, apparently the book by his actor is quite good.

I got it when it came out (year 2000 i think... God i'm getting old) and it was indeed good... for a Trek novel, that is. Readable anyway. Give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Sometimes I watch an episode of trek and I think, dear god I could have written a better episode or dialogue! Ha ha

Id be interested to see some good fanfic. any recommended sites?

Star trek fan fiction is generally unreadable in my opinion.

Reams of technobabble and the writers tend to be tripping over themselves to introduce whatever mcguffin they've invented that they think iis a clever idea enough to carry their piece which invariably has no characters or plot.

Watching episode Mortal Coil. Neelix does. don't worry he comes back, but it struck me. Voyager never lost a main character. In TNG tasha died, jadzia in ds9. Voyager never had a big loss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Watching episode Mortal Coil. Neelix does. don't worry he comes back, but it struck me. Voyager never lost a main character. In TNG tasha died, jadzia in ds9. Voyager never had a big loss

Kes was a fairly big one, but then she came back and left again.. :D

Kes was a fairly big one, but then she came back and left again.. :D

I didn't get upset when she died or dissipated into shiny sparkling stuff!!!

I got it when it came out (year 2000 i think... God i'm getting old) and it was indeed good... for a Trek novel, that is. Readable anyway. Give it a try.

I've read more than my fair share of Sci-fi and Fantasy. It's far more than just good for a Trek novel. It's more than just good for Sci-fi too to be honest

• Advertisement

Ah Chakotay and his vision quests/lucid dreams! It would have been gas if he took a load of yokes and had a really bad trip, and went on a mad one trying to kill everyone on the ship!
    Maybe I should write a star trek movie!!!! :P

Advertisement