Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

EMH Mark II. Ha ha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

The EMH is always good for a laugh.

Letters from home and the hirogen. IMO Voyager gets better from here on out!

Good auld species 8472 are back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Species 8472 were brilliant because of how Alien they were. In appearance, their motives, where they came from, etc. It was a big mistake when they humanized them.

That happening to the borg is understandable, but there was no need to do it with 8472. I realize that their CGI was expensive but that just means use them sparingly....that doesnt mean you put them in human puppet bodies. Thats just lazy.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Species 8472 were brilliant because of how Alien they were. In appearance, their motives, where they came from, etc. It was a big mistake when they humanized them.

That happening to the borg is understandable, but there was no need to do it with 8472. I realize that their CGI was expensive but that just means use them sparingly....that doesnt mean you put them in human puppet bodies. Thats just lazy.

I agree 8472 could have played a big role without ever being on screen, making them more sinister and menacing! An opportunity missed.
    The episode One, where Seven and the Doctor have to pilot the ship through a toxic nebula was brilliant, and the episode Night where they are passing through the Void is great too, however I think a lot more could have been done with that arc, stretched out over a couple of episodes, to explore the characters more and also how they would have coped in the Void mentally. Janeway was depressed, Neelix was having anxiety attacks, Chakotay getting agitated. Again a bit of a missed opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

SarahBM wrote: »
    I agree 8472 could have played a big role without ever being on screen, making them more sinister and menacing! An opportunity missed.
    The episode One, where Seven and the Doctor have to pilot the ship through a toxic nebula was brilliant, and the episode Night where they are passing through the Void is great too, however I think a lot more could have been done with that arc, stretched out over a couple of episodes, to explore the characters more and also how they would have coped in the Void mentally. Janeway was depressed, Neelix was having anxiety attacks, Chakotay getting agitated. Again a bit of a missed opportunity.

Agreed. This played up to Voyager's strengths (ship along in the Delta quadrant) and it never really took full advantage. When it did Voyager could produce some cracking episodes.

I remember how pleased I was that the DS9 Occupation arc (when the Dominion were in control of DS9) took about 6 episodes to resolve.

Gates McFadden was at the Dublin Comic-Con. She looks fab! Looks like the USS Cú Cuchlain had a ball. Wish I could have gone. Next year!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The USS CC crowd seemed great craic! Loved the uniforms!

Pter wrote: »
    The USS CC crowd seemed great craic! Loved the uniforms!

I joined the face book page but couldn't make anymore of a commitment with studying. But hopefully from September on I'll have more free time.

• Advertisement

Ok, I have cried for the first time during this Voyager run through. When ensign Wildman is recording her goodbye message to Naomi. :-(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Oh god, that episode. And Flotter.

Not as bad as Fairhaven, but ugh :(

The episode where Seven experiences multiple personalities - Brilliant!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

I just put caretaker on.........I hate you all!

crazyderk wrote: »
    I just put caretaker on.........I hate you all!

Resistance is futile!

Some of the first seasons are a bit dodge, but it much improved in season 3&4.

Resistance is futile!

before Voyager gets pulled to the Delta quadrant I'm just like, youre gonna die youre gonna die youre gonna die

before Voyager gets pulled to the Delta quadrant I'm just like, youre gonna die youre gonna die youre gonna die

Harry getting fleeced by Quark LOL

There have been a few LOL oneliners in the last few eps I have watched.
    The Doctor to Torres "Rise and shine, Lt. The early bird catches the gach!!!
    Janeway being offered more coffee by Neelix "I've had enough, any more and I'll jump to warp!"
    Lots more in relation to Seven too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Watched The Final Frontier at the weekend - God it's poor....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Watched The Final Frontier at the weekend - God it's poor....

What does God need with a Starship?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Resistance is futile!

Ara! Its the same quality as all Star Trek (if it is not abundantly clear I am Janeway-soldier). I have watched every episode of all series (multiple times) except for the blasphemous Enterprise. Voyager is just as good if not better on the whole than the rest. The best is the late DS9, without a doubt but there is a much of muchness between the rest.

How about we visit Africa planet in TNG? Or little Ireland begorrah also in TNG? Or little Scotland with the ghost in the candle?

Stop the Voyager hate!

Rant over.

Ara! Its the same quality as all Star Trek (if it is not abundantly clear I am Janeway-soldier). I have watched every episode of all series (multiple times) except for the blasphemous Enterprise. Voyager is just as good if not better on the whole than the rest. The best is the late DS9, without a doubt but there is a much of muchness between the rest.

How about we visit Africa planet in TNG? Or little Ireland begorrah also in TNG? Or little Scotland with the ghost in the candle?

Stop the Voyager hate!

Rant over.

You misunderstood!!! I love Voyager!!! Its my fav!!!!
    The Doctor is a lot funnier than I remember.
    The episode where 8472 had recreated a simulation of Starfleet HQ had so much potential. Could have been a 2parter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I've said the same in the past, early TNG/DS9 are god-awful...Voyager certainly isn't alone in that regard. Voyager does improve, much the same as the others did...though I don't think I'd put it quite at the heights that DS9 reached, and it just doesn't have the soul/heart of TNG...but it does get better, a lot better. Any frustration I express with Voyager, is just down to disappointment...it could have been incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

early TNG/DS9 are god-awful

Early TNG was indeed awful, but early DS9 was just "meh"; a word, incidentally, that Voyager almost never rose above throughout its seven years of lazy resets, dull or frustrating characters (except the Doctor) and a strong aversion to taking risks in storytelling. TNG and DS9 started shaky but were both far superior in the long run.

Voyager is Star Trek for people who like comfort and don't like to be challenged too much. Harsh words perhaps but i think most people who have followed Trek since the early '90s (or before) would agree. It's just so... grey and neutral and meh. Like the interior of the ship itself.

stannis wrote: »
    Early TNG was indeed awful, but early DS9 was just "meh"; a word, incidentally, that Voyager almost never rose above throughout its seven years of lazy resets, dull or frustrating characters (except the Doctor) and a strong aversion to taking risks in storytelling. TNG and DS9 started shaky but were both far superior in the long run.

Voyager is Star Trek for people who like comfort and don't like to be challenged too much. Harsh words perhaps but i think most people who have followed Trek since the early '90s (or before) would agree. It's just so... grey. Like the interior of the ship.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Sarah, please bear in mind that Trek has been part of my life since age 5 or so (when TNG was new and shown at 8pm on RTE) so i do tend to hyperbolise when i talk about it. ;)

Or was it 7pm? I'm getting forgetful in my 30s.

I got to admit I really liked caretaker. I know there are some dodgy episodes but as mentioned before there's a few dodgy episodes in all Star Trek.

I'm looking forward to watching all of voyager now!

I was looking through the episode list and jaysus Sarah you're powering through it! Are you not suppose to be doing a thesis?

I got to admit I really liked caretaker. I know there are some dodgy episodes but as mentioned before there's a few dodgy episodes in all Star Trek.

I'm looking forward to watching all of voyager now!

I was looking through the episode list and jaysus Sarah you're powering through it! Are you not suppose to be doing a thesis?

I am! Ha ha! A month to submission from today! Taking a week off work to write. Best way to procrastinate, start a star trek run through!!!!
    I'd rather have gone to Starfleet Medical! The 24th Century seems a lot more fun. Unfortunately I would be unemployed in the 24th Century as they don't seem to need laboratories ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Stop the Voyager hate!

Rant over.

so rant about voyager bad but against ENT is fine?
    ENT is vastly superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I think Voyager is better purely through Seven and The Doctor characters.

ENT crew are bland and boring.

Advertisement