Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Got back into watching a couple of episodes tonight. First up was Course: Oblivion which, whilst not perfect, I thought was a really clever concept with an ending which I didn't see coming at all and completely played against the cliche.

That one was the followed up by:
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    Voyager episode 'The Fight'

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Horrific. 45 minutes of Chakotay doing a vision quest whilst spouting technobabble. It is episodes like this which just wouldn't wash today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Got back into watching a couple of episodes tonight. First up was Course: Oblivion which, whilst not perfect, I thought was a really clever concept with an ending which I didn't see coming at all and completely played against the cliche.

Love that episode. the next episode for me is Thirty Days which I don't remember at all. All I know is that Paris gets demoted.

Like I said, I am loving rewatching all these episodes. I used to watch the re-runs all the time on sky when I was a teenager and prior to my TNG run through last summer and the movies, I hadnt watched Star Trek in years!

Stupid question (with probably a very obvious answer) - How come Seven never wears a uniform (I know its because she was supposed to be the sexy one) but like, other ships personnel like the Maquis, who were not starfleet had to wear uniforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Don't know what the arguments about, trek is good I like all series some better than others. Any ideas if a series is in the pipeline?

Has anyone seen Star Trek Renegades yet?

Is that the fan made stuff? What are the production values like?

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    Is that the fan made stuff? What are the production values like?

Trailer for Renegades. Directed by Tim Russ (AKA Tuvok) and Echeb is in it too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjeX5drV9ms
    Looks alright. Chekov is in it. Set after Voyager's return to the Alpha Quadrant.

I think Axanar looks way more professional. Prelude to Axanar is a great short film and they have won a few awards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA
    Set during a conflict between the Federation and the Klingon Empire before TOS I think, but I am open to correction on that.

I came across this one too called Star Trek Horizons, I think it is another fan made one, but I'll have to look into it. Set around the same time as Enterprise.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWD9RMp_Gfk
    Looks good, along the same production values as Axanar.
    Renegades looks more gritty and prosthetics seem to be used. Cardassians and new aliens, where as Axanar and Horizon look more space based.

Renegades was supposed to be released 1st August in LA. but I havent seen or heard anything about it. I will have a troll tomorrow, see if I can find some reviews.

Nice I'm behind on my trek stuff, need to read the destiny series of books as apparently it tells of the Borg origins (a good version) linked to enterprise series.

You know I don't think I have read a sci fi book. Never mind a star trek book.

The extended universe through the books is brilliant, they done allot of cool things like a series on stargazer Picards first ship or the abuse of the genisis devices, section 31 , or even a new captain called Makenzie Calhoun (hence my name ) who explores a part of space that was once controlled by an empire that collapsed due to their planet being an egg for the great bird of the Galaxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

SarahBM wrote: »
    Trailer for Renegades. Directed by Tim Russ (AKA Tuvok) and Echeb is in it too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjeX5drV9ms
    Looks alright. Chekov is in it. Set after Voyager's return to the Alpha Quadrant.

I think Axanar looks way more professional. Prelude to Axanar is a great short film and they have won a few awards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA
    Set during a conflict between the Federation and the Klingon Empire before TOS I think, but I am open to correction on that.

I came across this one too called Star Trek Horizons, I think it is another fan made one, but I'll have to look into it. Set around the same time as Enterprise.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWD9RMp_Gfk
    Looks good, along the same production values as Axanar.
    Renegades looks more gritty and prosthetics seem to be used. Cardassians and new aliens, where as Axanar and Horizon look more space based.

Renegades was supposed to be released 1st August in LA. but I havent seen or heard anything about it. I will have a troll tomorrow, see if I can find some reviews.

I will watch renegades, but defo, Axanar looks amazing, and you are right, its set before TOS, about Jim Kirks hero Captain Kelvar Garth of Izar

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    The extended universe through the books is brilliant, they done allot of cool things like a series on stargazer Picards first ship or the abuse of the genisis devices, section 31 , or even a new captain called Makenzie Calhoun (hence my name ) who explores a part of space that was once controlled by an empire that collapsed due to their planet being an egg for the great bird of the Galaxy.

I'll ad them to the to read pile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Renegades sounds utterly awful, & is the type of contrived plot that gives non canon stuff a bad name...a ten year old non star trek fan could write a better plot. Axanar on the other hand though, wow...can't wait

Myrddin wrote: »
    Renegades sounds utterly awful, & is the type of contrived plot that gives non canon stuff a bad name...a ten year old non star trek fan could write a better plot. Axanar on the other hand though, wow...can't wait

The whole plot of renegades just seems overly ambitious to me. its like they are trying too hard. I'm surprised that Tim Russ and Robert Picardo would support something like this and not Axanar. I wish someone would have asked Gates McFadden at comic con what she thinks of these crowd funded fan production.
    I'll admit I actually donated to Axanar because I genuinely think it could be awesome.
    And with the Prelude to Axanar, you know they are not messing around.

The whole plot of renegades just seems overly ambitious to me. its like they are trying too hard. I'm surprised that Tim Russ and Robert Picardo would support something like this and not Axanar.

Lets look at the plot for Renegades:
    It is ten years after the starship Voyager* '​s return from the Delta Quadrant, and the Federation is in a crisis. The Federation's main suppliers of dilithium crystals (the primary catalyst for the fuel used in faster-than-light travel) are disappearing. Space and time have folded around several planets, effectively isolating them from any contact with outside worlds. The phenomenon is not natural – someone or something is causing it to happen. This necessitates drastic measures; some of which are outside the Federation’s normal jurisdiction.

For this, Admiral Pavel Chekov, head of Starfleet Intelligence, turns to Commander Tuvok, Voyager* '​s former security officer and current head of the newly reorganized Section 31, Starfleet's autonomous intelligence and defense organization. Tuvok must put together a new covert, renegade crew – mostly outcasts and rogues – and even criminals. This new crew is tasked with finding out what is causing the folding of time and space, and stopping it at all costs. But will they be able to put aside their differences and stop trying to kill one another in time to accomplish their mission?

A dilithium crystal shortage, how original.
    Space & time have folded around several planets, isolating them - trying far to hard & only makes the plot device more obvious.
    Drastic measures are needed, that are outside the Federations normal jurisdiction - reaching again, & reeks of being badly written.
    Admiral Checkov, head of Starfleet Intelligence - a 147 year old human whos still in active service...yeah, sure :rolleyes:
    Commander Tuvok - still a commander? Head of newly revamped Section 31?? Yeah, sure :rolleyes: (if S31 are now legit, they'd not be autonomous anymore & would be part of Starfleet...so what's the point of calling it S31?)
    A renegade crew consisting of outcasts, rogues & criminals - seriously?
    Tasked with finding out what's going on with space & time, while trying to kill each other - sounds a hoot:rolleyes:

Utterly, utterly awful groundwork gone into it there. I'll reserve judgement until I see it, & I'll only really be watching it because Tim Russ is in it, but I have zero hopes for it.
    I wish someone would have asked Gates McFadden at comic con what she thinks of these crowd funded fan production.

I reckon she'd give them her blessing, she's hardly likey to consciously say otherwise & risk pee'ing off fans.

[QUOTEI'll admit I actually donated to Axanar because I genuinely think it could be awesome.
    And with the Prelude to Axanar, you know they are not messing around.[/QUOTE]

Fair play for backing it, it looks on a whole other level to Renegades. Plus, Tony Todd!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Tuvok nor Chekov would ever want anything to do with Section 31. Does Starfleet now accept organisations that try to commit genocide?

I ignore fan fiction due to every character has to meet every other character. One random example is when Bashir is relieved of his CMO duties aboard DS9. You know who takes over? BEVERLY CRUSHER!!

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Tuvok nor Chekov would ever want anything to do with Section 31. Does Starfleet now accept organisations that try to commit genocide?

I ignore fan fiction due to every character has to meet every other character. One random example is when Bashir is relieved of his CMO duties aboard DS9. You know who takes over? BEVERLY CRUSHER!!

Ah but wouldn't you love to see Tom Paris flying the Defiant! :D

I wonder would the Voyager crew have been kept together when they returned to the Alpha Quadrant?

I wonder would the Voyager crew have been kept together when they returned to the Alpha Quadrant?

I'd have like to have seen that explored better in canon...by the time they reach home, you kinds have gotten invested enough to be curious as to how things turned out for them all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I'd have like to have seen that explored better in canon...by the time they reach home, you kinds have gotten invested enough to be curious as to how things turned out for them all.

I think Janeway quit starfleet eventually and opened a successful franchise of a coffeehouse.

I think Janeway quit starfleet eventually and opened a successful franchise of a coffeehouse.

Chakotay went off and hand built a retreat to take people on vision quests

Achoochy moya

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That really pissed me off about Voyager. 7 seasons trying to get home, and 1 brief sentence with Admiral Paris saying everything would be in their report and that's it. Total cop out.

I'm ok with their not being a full episode dedicated to them being home, but give us something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Chakotay went off and hand built a retreat to take people on vision quests

Achoochy moya

Everyone got to speak with the peyote coyote before the law came and threw Chakotay back in prison!

Neelix went to work in grandpa Sisko's restaurant, the food was so awful there anyway that nobody noticed the jambalaya was made from neural gel packs and frogspawn.

Seven of Nine disgusted by Janeway's betrayal and destruction of the borg worked her way through the ranks of the federation and became a starship captain and promptly went rogue taking her ship 'The Raven II of II' back to the delta quadrant to begin her own collective with species 8472 with the intent to unlock the secrets of the omega particle. She was never heard from again.

Tom Paris was killed in in the delta flyer which he had stolen from starfleet and used to participate in an illegal race with some Nausican raiders, because they called him a chicken and he'd been watching back to the future a lot. Although he ultimately won the race, the Nausicans blew up the Flyer with him inside it. The debris can be seen at the Smithsonian.

B'Elanna Torres was unsurprised by this, took the opportunity to move to to the Klingon homeworld with her child and remarried a Klingon D'har master. She's finally happy being part Klingon.

The EMH was given full legal rights over himself and became an Opera singer, which was a shame because it's an archaic form of entertainment that nobody appreciates in the 24th century.

Janeway became an Admiral and moved to Ireland in an attempt to recreate in reality what she had in Fairhaven on the holodeck, she was reportedly deeply and profoundly disturbed by the difference.

Harry Kim never found a girlfriend and died alone with his stupid clarinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Everyone got to speak with the peyote coyote before the law came and threw Chakotay back in prison!

Neelix went to work in grandpa Sisko's restaurant, the food was so awful there anyway that nobody noticed the jambalaya was made from neural gel packs and frogspawn.

Seven of Nine disgusted by Janeway's betrayal and destruction of the borg worked her way through the ranks of the federation and became a starship captain and promptly went rogue taking her ship 'The Raven II of II' back to the delta quadrant to begin her own collective with species 8472 with the intent to unlock the secrets of the omega particle. She was never heard from again.

Tom Paris was killed in in the delta flyer which he had stolen from starfleet and used to participate in an illegal race with some Nausican raiders, because they called him a chicken and he'd been watching back to the future a lot. Although he ultimately won the race, the Nausicans blew up the Flyer with him inside it. The debris can be seen at the Smithsonian.

B'Elanna Torres was unsurprised by this, took the opportunity to move to to the Klingon homeworld with her child and remarried a Klingon D'har master. She's finally happy being part Klingon.

The EMH was given full legal rights over himself and became an Opera singer, which was a shame because it's an archaic form of entertainment that nobody appreciates in the 24th century.

Janeway became an Admiral and moved to Ireland in an attempt to recreate in reality what she had in Fairhaven on the holodeck, she was reportedly deeply and profoundly disturbed by the difference.

Harry Kim never found a girlfriend and died alone with his stupid clarinet.

Now if fan fiction was like this I'd read it :D

Bride if Chaotica - hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

She ended up in prison where she runs the kitchen and her food is worse than Neelix's cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

She ended up in prison where she runs the kitchen and her food is worse than Neelix's cooking.

Apparently her version of ghargh tastes like some sort of revenge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Tuvok and Neelix started a wildly successful standup comedy duo. You can guess who the straight man was.
    I think they named their act Tuvix. I wouldn't be surprised if they married.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Janeway gets assimilated, turned into the Borg Queen, allows 7 of 9 to upload a Borg killing virus to stop an invasion, and then goes on a journey with the female Q in the afterlife.

Yeah, that's the books for you :P

Kiith wrote: »
    Janeway gets assimilated, turned into the Borg Queen, allows 7 of 9 to upload a Borg killing virus to stop an invasion, and then goes on a journey with the female Q in the afterlife.

Yeah, that's the books for you :P

Seriously?

Gene Rodenberry must be turing in his cryostation.

Tuvok and Neelix started a wildly successful standup comedy duo. You can guess who the straight man was.
    I think they named their act Tuvix. I wouldn't be surprised if they married.

I can see that happening. A 25th century Penn and Tellar. Im hoping Tuvok is Penn.

• Advertisement

Course oblivion - one of my fav episodes

Advertisement