Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Daith wrote:
    In Flashback she gave out that Kirk et all played too fast and loose with the Prime Directive!

To me that's an example of one of Voyager's big flaws - inconsistent characterization with Janeway. One episode she might be lecturing the crew on the importance of the Prime Directive but next week she could be arbitrarily breaking it on a whim. The writers could have given her an interesting character arc of having to compromise her belief in the PD gradually over the entire series. But instead she'd change her stance to fit the story of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Greyjoy wrote: »
    To me that's an example of one of Voyager's big flaws - inconsistent characterization with Janeway. One episode she might be lecturing the crew on the importance of the Prime Directive but next week she could be arbitrarily breaking it on a whim. The writers could have given her an interesting character arc of having to compromise her belief in the PD gradually over the entire series. But instead she'd change her stance to fit the story of the week.

Disagree. I think Janeway had a fairly consistent morality. She wasn't quite the flawless Pastor like Picard but she didn't have a galaxy glass ship and the back up of the rest of the Federation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

ah jaysus howrya Kazon Nog youre lookin well!
    in other disapointing news its a chakoay episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I think Lineage is a great episode, where B'Ellana wrestles with her Klingon heritage, and whether or not she wants her daughter to go through what she did as a child. The arguments for and against genetic altering.
    I watched the episode with the Kuvahmach this morning. Not a bad episode but not the best either.

If you could have any device from your fav star trek series, what would it be?
    I'd love a food replicator because I hate cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

SarahBM wrote: »
    If you could have any device from your fav star trek series, what would it be?
    I'd love a food replicator because I hate cooking.

Does the holodeck count as a device?

Yep. I'd love a holodeck. But if I had to pick between holodeck and replicator, I would have to pick replicator!

Yep. I'd love a holodeck. But if I had to pick between holodeck and replicator, I would have to pick replicator!

Fair enough, but as far as i know, the holodeck uses replicator technology anyway. So you can get cooked food and live out a second life as a character in a cliched Dixon Hill novel as well. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Not to be pedantic but as Stannis has pointed out the holodeck required replicator technology. (I am an insane star trek nerd)

If lets say hypothetically the two could exist independently. I would chose the replicator if I was being unselfish but realistically* I would chose the holodeck everytime.

*lol

stannis wrote: »
    Fair enough, but as far as i know, the holodeck uses replicator technology anyway. So you can get cooked food and live out a second life as a character in a cliched Dixon Hill novel as well. ;)

You would use it to satisfy more than your food appetites Stannis* ya twisted nutter

*Making reference to Stannis the somewhat nutjob in GoT

• Advertisement

You would use it to satisfy more than your food appetites Stannis* ya twisted nutter

*Making reference to Stannis the somewhat nutjob in GoT

Haha... i hate that episode of Game of Thrones. I've been using the moniker "stannis" on various forums for about ten years, long before the TV programme (which changed his character significantly) was even a gleam in some network exec's eye. But like my namesake i will be stoic and accept all burdens placed on me by the cruel vicissitudes of Fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Replicator. But on the basis that that's wishing for more wishes something else maybe......

I would choose the earth guide book that Nog is given.

Got to be some sport results in there.

Haha... i hate that episode of Game of Thrones. I've been using the moniker "stannis" on various forums for about ten years, long before the TV programme (which changed his character significantly) was even a gleam in some network exec's eye. But like my namesake i will be stoic and accept all burdens placed on me by the cruel vicissitudes of Fate.

Can not understand why they did that to him, in the series, my own self.

Definitely transporter tech (which is where they get replication tech from)

Screw 3D printing, straight up manipulation of matter and energy!

Replicator. But on the basis that that's wishing for more wishes something else maybe......

I would choose the earth guide book that Nog is given.

Got to be some sport results in there.

640px-The_Grays_Sports_Almanac.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

15 years out of date...

Not at the time of airing the episode

Not at the time of airing the episode

Or buy a current almanac and a delorean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

And drink synthol all night and not wake hungover up in the morning.

I'd never leave.

Wouldn't mind a shuttlecraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Piff,

No GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The Enterprise is a device, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

The Enterprise is a device, right?

60151453.jpg

Would you still get drunk on syntahol though, is it just supposed to taste like alcohol. I remember Jadzia being hung over after her bachelorette party. and the chief and Julian on an occasion or too. That was probably the real stuff.
    Was alcohol then illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

https://premiere.omaze.com/experiences/startrek?oa_v=.startrek-pl1

entered this for the $10.

I see for $100k you can get a million chances to win, so it will be a proper Charlie Bucket job if I win.

Would you still get drunk on syntahol though, is it just supposed to taste like alcohol. I remember Jadzia being hung over after her bachelorette party. and the chief and Julian on an occasion or too. That was probably the real stuff.
    Was alcohol then illegal?

I know that romulan ale was illegal and in TNG it was mentioned alcohol is available.
    I'm not sure about the green stuff in Scotties quarters though. Whatever it was, Data had a bottle of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I know that romulan ale was illegal and in TNG it was mentioned alcohol is available.
    I'm not sure about the green stuff in Scotties quarters though. Whatever it was, Data had a bottle of it too.

Aldebran whiskey, it was Guinans if I recall? Don't think alcohol was illegal, rather, synthohol was just preferred (certainly on a starship anyway)

Myrddin wrote: »
    Aldebran whiskey, it was Guinans if I recall? Don't think alcohol was illegal, rather, synthohol was just preferred (certainly on a starship anyway)

We never found out, we just know it's green:

We never found out, we just know it's green:
    Yup we do, Scotty brings it with him and later Picard comes to check how hes getting on and they share a drink (Picard downs it in one to scottys surprise) and Picard tells him the name of it as he was the one that gave it to Guinan.

I can't remember the name though.

Myrddin wrote: »

Google says you're right Myrddin, Aldebran.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Plenty of Drunk People in Quarks on DS9, I think it was just romulan ale that was illegal for some reason. The Klingons loved a drink too..

Advertisement