Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

stannis wrote: »

OMG Thank you!!!

Edit: How can they say Endgame is one of the worst episodes ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

SarahBM wrote: »
    OMG Thank you!!!

Edit: How can they say Endgame is one of the worst episodes ever?

True, the worst episode of all time in Trek has to be the Enterprise finale.

dont agree about Engame, but do agree with Fair Haven, shockingly cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

Is Enterprise worth watching? I caught the latter half of an episode last night and it wasn't too bad.

I would say yes.

Overall I like Enterprise, more so then Voyager. Yes there are bad episodes (which series does not have those) and the last episode itself is possibly the worst thing in Star Trek but overall it's worth a watch and I am doing another run through at the moment on Netflix.

Certain things are annoying, introducing new species in the 22nd Century when we did not see them in the 23rd or 24th Century's only poses questions, but they answer a few other questions along the way and tie into the other series which I like. The crew is good for the most part, some of them add nothing IMO (Ensign Token Black Guy at the helm and Ensign Hot Asian Chick in communications) but there are likable characters to be found that you can get invested in and see some character development.

I think if it had been given the full seven seasons that the others had it would be viewed more favorably, the last episode aside season 4 was showing real promise, ask yourself what you would think of the other series if they stopped suddenly at season 4 with a ill thought out and rushed ending.

The problem for us Trekies is that we know these shows had so much potential, and we just wanted to see that potential achieved and I for one feel a little hard done by sometimes. It's so frustrating sometimes and your like "aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh that could have been so much better!" - :D
    If Paramount/CBS own the rights to trek and there is obviously a big appetite there for something new, why don't they do something with it?!?! Pull all the best trek writers form all the trek shows, the best FX guys etc. Do it and do it write and learn from the mistakes of past Trek shows.
    Im just dreaming here
    I will watch Enterprise. eventually.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

All of it?

I think so, haven't had a chance to check and make sure though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I've recently been reading Star Trek Enterprise Novels. Quite good, they are much better than the series and do stories the Trek Universe outright ignored or could only dream of. The books are good. Two about the Romulan Wars and a Rise of the Federation Franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,505 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Is Enterprise worth watching? I caught the latter half of an episode last night and it wasn't too bad.
    Yeah, there are very few terrible episodes in comparison to the other series and the development and interlinked non constant reset every episode is refreshing. While it does have its flaws and there are a couple of annoying shoehorned in races overall I really like it.

The Xindi arc gets a little tedious but season 4 has some great episodes and it was cut down in it's prime with one of the worst episodes you'll ever see as it's send off

True, the worst episode of all time in Trek has to be the Enterprise finale.
    well that's what happens when you only have 5 minutes to produce it :)
    dont agree about Engame, but do agree with Fair Haven, shockingly cringe

Endgame at first doesn't seem bad but it's just as lazy and stupid as the rest of Voyager, makes the Borg look pathetic and moronic, Janeway even more just goes off the wall with her morals or lack there of and a 2 min Alpha Quad ending is a big let down.

I mean why would the Borg not have the galaxy totally conquered, if they could drop two cubes anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

How can they say Endgame is one of the worst episodes ever?

With 7 seasons to choose from it's a bit ridiculous to label Endgame one of Voyager's 'worst ever' episodes. As a finale it's ok but not great (miles ahead of ENT but it lags way behind TNG or DS9's finales for me). It's got two main flaws - 1) as previously mentioned the fact that the timeline gets re-written so we never get to see what 'really' happens to the crew in the new timeline. 2) Janeway rewrites history not to avert some crisis or temporal anomaly but basically on whim because she didn't like the way things turned out once the crew got back to Earth. Yes some of the crew had bleak futures but not all of them. It makes Janeway come as as arrogant for not considering the potential damage she's doing to other people's lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Greyjoy wrote: »
    1) as previously mentioned the fact that the timeline gets re-written so we never get to see what 'really' happens to the crew in the new timeline.

To play devils advocate for a moment, if it weren't for the four films...you could say the exact same thing about the TNG finale.
    2) Janeway rewrites history not to avert some crisis or temporal anomaly but basically on whim because she didn't like the way things turned out once the crew got back to Earth. Yes some of the crew had bleak futures but not all of them. It makes Janeway come as as arrogant for not considering the potential damage she's doing to other people's lives.

A lot of people omit the fact that she felt the guilt of her initial decision weighing on her shoulders for seven years. Granted, the writers did a piss poor job of portraying that guilt, but it's apparent in several episodes. I don't think there was any 'whim' involved in her decision in the finale, it's the culmination of years of guilt and regret, albeit shrouded in bad writing.

• Advertisement

In the proper timeline it had taken Janeway 23 years to get Voyager home. Imagine the guilt after 23 years, never mind 7. The only people it worked out for were Harry the doctor Torres Paris and Janeway. 20 more of the crew had been killed, Tuvok was nuts and 7 and Chakotay were dead. Given the circumstances, I may have done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Myrddin wrote: »
    To play devils advocate for a moment, if it weren't for the four films...you could say the exact same thing about the TNG finale.

Not really, TNG never had the big overriding story arc that VOY did - namely getting back to Earth. The glimpses of TNG's older crew are interesting but they're not resolving any loose storylines from the series in the way that Endgame's 'flash forward' should have done.

I don't think there was any 'whim' involved in her decision in the finale, it's the culmination of years of guilt and regret, albeit shrouded in bad writing.

'Whim' is a little bit of an exaggeration but she still rewrites history not to fix some sort of temporal crisis (eg "All Good Things") but simply because the future didn't turn out the way she wanted. I think the episode could have worked better if the 'flash forward' showed a bleak future for all of the crew. Otherwise Janeway had no way of knowing that by trying to 'fix' the future for Tuvok, Chakotay & 7 she wouldn't stuff it up for Harry, B'elanna & Tom. An epilogue showing how things worked out alright in the end for the crew would have reassured the audience that Janeway's messing with the timeline was justified.

I for one am dying to know if section 31 went and dissected Seven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I for one am dying to know if section 31 went and dissected Seven

No in the end she turned out to be a borg plant and once she arrived in Star Trek HQ resistance was futile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Just watched the ST:Enterprise episode "Fallen Hero".

I'm a bit flabbergasted, all the vulcans are likeable in this episode.

Every other ENT episode I've watched the vulcans were a pain in the ass.

Watching renegades. It's on YouTube. I'll let ye know what I think at the end.
    Corin nemec is in it. lots of familiar faces.admiral Paris too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Warp 10? ye lads........keep moving on there!

Well I have just finished watching Renegades and I am not quiet sure where to begin. I will spoiler this for those of you who wish to watch it themselves.
    First of all I dont want to be too critical because I know this movie was made by people who love Star Trek, for a tiny budget and I am sure a lot of blood sweat and tears went into making it. A lot of big names appear from the Trek universe. Chekov, Tuvok, Admiral Paris and Echeb, and the Doctor as Lewis Zimmerman (although I am unsure as to the point of his cameo really.)
    But to be fair it was a good effort but IMO only ok. Perhaps it was hyped up a bit too much or I had ridiculous expectations for what is basically a fan movie.
    The space CGI is really good, I loved the look of the Archer and the Icarus. However the interior sets looked a bit cheap.
    The acting was a bit mellow dramatic at times.
    I really hated the new Starfleet uniforms. and the Admiral's great great granddaughter, not quiet sure what the point of her character was. They could have used that screen time way more productively IMO.
    It is fan fic though. and the script sounds like it. Many a token character, a Bajoran, Cardassian, a Breen. Echeb could have had his own movie for the glimpse of a back story we got about what happened to him when he got back to Earth.
    I think the biggest mistake they made was trying to do a story with such a complicated and convoluted pot in 90 mins. I cannot see CBS or anyone else picking this up to be fair. It was a good effort, but I think Axanar has a lot more potential. And if Prelude to Axanar is anything to go by , way better script writers.

End Transmission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Just watched ST:ENT, "Detained" Was I seeing things or was Al(Dean Stockwell) from Quantam Leap pointing a gun at Captain Archer(Scott Bakula)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

it happened, always been a fan of Stockwell his repertoire of Sci Fi is quite good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,505 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Future Nazi aliens with lasers n **** in world war two. ENT has some awesome episodes.

That episode actually killed Enterprise, people thought it meant more temporal wars and stopped watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That episode actually killed Enterprise, people thought it meant more temporal wars and stopped watching

Ágreed, the WW2 stuff was done in Voyager with the Hirogen two parter also - this Ent one was just bizarre. The writers missed a serious trick not exploring the Romulan arc a lot sooner, Enterprise was seriously about to mature into some great Trek prior to its cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Ágreed, the WW2 stuff was done in Voyager with the Hirogen two parter also - this Ent one was just bizarre. The writers missed a serious trick not exploring the Romulan arc a lot sooner, Enterprise was seriously about to mature into some great Trek prior to its cancellation.

Indeed, imagine if Enterprise took the nuTrek stance with the temporal cold war and ended up destroying Vulcan?

The Vulcan attitude to humans in ENT now relying on humans to survive.

The very last episode would have of course be Archer, Admiral Janeway, Prophet Sisko, Old Man Picard with the ENT crew to fix the timestream!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I have binge-watched Voyager today. It has not been my most productive day's 'working from home' ever.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I have binge-watched Voyager today. It has not been my most productive day's 'working from home' ever.

Go you! I spent 3 weeks procrastinating over a paper I have to write by binge watching Voyager. I love that show! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Beefy78 wrote: »

Just watched Caretaker this afternoon ........ Does it seem a little like Paris Murders the helmsman in the split second he has over her body?

He has the chance to off Chakotay later on, but he's done his homework, he knows that Chakotay will owe him blood debt if he saves him.

I think I'd prefer if they had of developed the Paris character this way, into the ice cold Bond like killer, rather than the cuddly softie her turns out.

I think I'd prefer if they had of developed the Paris character this way, into the ice cold Bond like killer, rather than the cuddly softie her turns out.

You mean on a ship with limited resources trapped 70,000 light years from home one of the main cast might snap? Please..:p

Worst thing about Voyager is that they teased us with Equinox and Year of Hell showing exactly what people expected the series to be

• Advertisement

Worst thing about Voyager is that they teased us with Equinox and Year of Hell showing exactly what people expected the series to be

Indeed and it wouldn't have to be dark dark dark all the time.

I liked the episodes of DS9 like the baseball one or the Oceans 11 one just because it broke up the war and allowed some breathing space.

Advertisement