Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

Daith wrote: »
    Indeed and it wouldn't have to be dark dark dark all the time.

I liked the episodes of DS9 like the baseball one or the Oceans 11 one just because it broke up the war and allowed some breathing space.

Yeah I mean those two, which I mention, are far to the other extreme but such potential that it felt like they were rubbing our faces in the mediocrity usually dispatched

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Watched Darmok last night. "Picard and Dathon...at El-Adrel."

Bloody love that episode.

Temba... His arms wide

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's one of the rare times when they explored the language barrier really well. Picard was great here as well, as he really wanted to communicate, and you could see the frustration when it's not working. I love it when he figures it out as well.

"That's how you communicate, isn't it? By citing example... by metaphor! Uzani's army... with fists open..."
    "Sokath, his eyes uncovered!" (meant as a metaphor to comprehension) "

Brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Kiith wrote: »
    It's one of the rare times when they explored the language barrier really well. Picard was great here as well, as he really wanted to communicate, and you could see the frustration when it's not working. I love it when he figures it out as well.

"That's how you communicate, isn't it? By citing example... by metaphor! Uzani's army... with fists open..."
    "Sokath, his eyes uncovered!" (meant as a metaphor to comprehension) "

Brilliant :)

Great episode! Voyager had something similar in the episode the void with Phantomie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Kiith wrote: »
    Watched Darmok last night. "Picard and Dathon...at El-Adrel."

Bloody love that episode.

This is already possible here on Earth via Simpsons references. Would get very old very fast, though. I always thought what an annoying planet that would be to live on.

Sideshow Bob... when the rake hits

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Daith wrote: »
    You mean on a ship with limited resources trapped 70,000 light years from home one of the main cast might snap? Please..:p

Actually, this was one of ST:Voyager's key problems: resources were nowhere near as limited as they should have been. When main characters cannot be killed off and destruction/starvation/rebellion are not credible threats, you get a seven-year (!) programme with almost no tension.

stannis wrote: »
    Actually, this was one of ST:Voyager's key problems: resources were nowhere near as limited as they should have been. When main characters cannot be killed off and destruction/starvation/rebellion are not credible threats, you get a seven-year (!) programme with almost no tension.

In fairness there were a few eps where they were running out of dilthium and deuterium, and the ship had to be run in grey mode and they were all made to eat Neelix's cooking.
    My issue was no matter how limited resources were or how low on power, the holodeck was always on. And any one seemed to be able to hog it to themselves whenever!!!

But I still love Voyager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

stannis wrote: »

Agreed. Voyager really had so much potential to explore themes like isolation, survival, loyalty, depression, and mutiny. We only ever got hints of these in episodes like Year of Hell, Night, Worst Case Scenario and One. I really would love to have seen Star Trek do a long-term mutiny storyline, and Voyager could have been perfect for it.

• Advertisement

I never got the resource lack. Plenty of warp races to trade with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-star-trek-federation-evil-empire_p2/

This is an excellent article.

Doesn't quite go far enough. Leaves out a lot of the really dark stuff the federation is into.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-star-trek-federation-evil-empire_p2/

This is an excellent article.

Doesn't quite go far enough. Leaves out a lot of the really dark stuff the federation is into.

that sounds like it was written by an anti-vaxxer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Couldn't agree more, total nonsense article that twists & corrupts the core message Roddenberry tried to portray. I could easily refute all the points made in that article, because it's founded on hyperbole, and littered with errors, assumptions, and is a glorified attempt to appear 'edgy' by the 'author', in the most nerd-like ways of course. Anti-vaxxer seems a perfect fit, I'll leave it at that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Because it expresses emotion so well? ah ha.

No, because it's looney reaching. It's trying to make paranoid 'edgy' connections that are not the intended narrative, not the true intent of the writers & rather than looking beyond the narrative with one eye on the facts as presented on screen, it disregards much in order to make it's own hyperbole believable. It's fun to prod, poke & make connections beyond the narrative, but this stuff isn't believable in any way because it twists and breaks the facts, rather than expanding upon them.

Ohhhh controversial ;)

Andrew Wakefield should be in prison though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Janeway to Chakotay. Scorpion

and onto season 4 I go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm watching Fair Haven. Jeez... I'm not even Irish and I'm embarrassed.

Ah jaysus tommy me bhoy. wud ya spare us an auld shillin'!

• Advertisement

SarahBM wrote: »
    Ah jaysus tommy me bhoy. wud ya spare us an auld shillin'!

Those episodes are horrific, give me Data & The Comic or Alamarain any day over those Fair Haven ones.

Fair Haven- the only Irish village of the 19th century fortunate enough to be basked in Los Angeles sunshine, with a happy populace who were spared the violence and subjugation of the British crown.

Myrddin wrote: »
    Those episodes are horrific, give me Data & The Comic or Alamarain any day over those Fair Haven ones.

Had to google that. Bahahahaaa!

Great in a way. Maybe they pissed off the director? That was the payback. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Had to google that. Bahahahaaa!

Great in a way. Maybe they pissed off the director? That was the payback. :D

Jesus i lasted about 40 seconds into that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Watching the year of hell. Voyager looks great with all the damage.
    I thought Kes warned them about the Krenim no?

syklops wrote: »
    Jesus i lasted about 40 seconds into that video.

Watch the whole clip, it gets much, much worse :D

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Woo hoo!
    Day off to myself and All Good Things is on SyFy :)

Woo hoo!
    Day off to myself and All Good Things is on SyFy :)

...and the sky's the limit.

Master's is finished, so I have tonnes of tv to catch up on. I may have to start an Enterprise run-through. However I am a bit worried I won't like it.
    I may also tackle TOS and all the movies. :)

• Advertisement

SarahBM wrote: »
    Master's is finished, so I have tonnes of tv to catch up on. I may have to start an Enterprise run-through. However I am a bit worried I won't like it.
    I may also tackle TOS and all the movies. :)

TOS may be hard going if you didn't grow up with it, but I think it's still awesome.
    You have to bear in mind that Mr Spock's ears were made in Fred Phillips kitchen (according to legend), the transporter effect was glitter in a glass of water, stirred and filmed and overlaid over the charcter, there are strings holding up the Enterprise, the scenery wobbles and the rocks are very obviously styrofoam. The acting is patchy and 60's attitudes are sometimes hard to grasp today.
    There is even a plant in Zulu's room that is very obviously a hand in a glove sticking out through the table:

latest?cb=20120114124829&path-prefix=en

BUT!
    I still think that everything Trek stands for is there. It is a critique of the human condition. By creating the perfect society, Rodenberry shows up the imperfections of ours.
    It dealt with so many issues about race, gender, religion, the cold war and the human condition in general. Star Trek was never about space and spaceships and technology. Those were just vehicles for the story. It doesn't matter how the Heisenberg compensator works, it only matters what you can do with it in the story.
    Nichelle Nichols was so important to the show as a strong female and black character that Martin Luther King asked her to stay when she wanted to quit.
    It may look naff, but still to this day it is great, personally to me because it dealt with mindbending conundrums that were literally lightyears ahead of the human race back then and still are now. I love it in all it's cheesiness, greatness, ugliness, beauty and strangeness. Just imagine what else would have been on telly in 1967.

Advertisement