Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

TOS may be hard going if you didn't grow up with it, but I think it's still awesome.
    You have to bear in mind that Mr Spock's ears were made in Fred Phillips kitchen (according to legend), the transporter effect was glitter in a glass of water, stirred and filmed and overlaid over the charcter, there are strings holding up the Enterprise, the scenery wobbles and the rocks are very obviously styrofoam. The acting is patchy and 60's attitudes are sometimes hard to grasp today.
    There is even a plant in Zulu's room that is very obviously a hand in a glove sticking out through the table:

latest?cb=20120114124829&path-prefix=en

BUT!
    I still think that everything Trek stands for is there. It is a critique of the human condition. By creating the perfect society, Rodenberry shows up the imperfections of ours.
    It dealt with so many issues about race, gender, religion, the cold war and the human condition in general. Star Trek was never about space and spaceships and technology. Those were just vehicles for the story. It doesn't matter how the Heisenberg compensator works, it only matters what you can do with it in the story.
    Nichelle Nichols was so important to the show as a strong female and black character that Martin Luther King asked her to stay when she wanted to quit.
    It may look naff, but still to this day it is great, personally to me because it dealt with mindbending conundrums that were literally lightyears ahead of the human race back then and still are now. I love it in all it's cheesiness, greatness, ugliness, beauty and strangeness. Just imagine what else would have been on telly in 1967.

This is no joke, but having watched mad men I have a totally new perspective on the original series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

This is no joke, but having watched mad men I have a totally new perspective on the original series.

Guess I'll have to watch Mad Men now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

TOS may be hard going if you didn't grow up with it, but I think it's still awesome.
    You have to bear in mind that Mr Spock's ears were made in Fred Phillips kitchen (according to legend), the transporter effect was glitter in a glass of water, stirred and filmed and overlaid over the charcter, there are strings holding up the Enterprise, the scenery wobbles and the rocks are very obviously styrofoam. The acting is patchy and 60's attitudes are sometimes hard to grasp today.
    There is even a plant in Zulu's room that is very obviously a hand in a glove sticking out through the table:

BUT!
    I still think that everything Trek stands for is there. It is a critique of the human condition. By creating the perfect society, Rodenberry shows up the imperfections of ours.
    It dealt with so many issues about race, gender, religion, the cold war and the human condition in general. Star Trek was never about space and spaceships and technology. Those were just vehicles for the story. It doesn't matter how the Heisenberg compensator works, it only matters what you can do with it in the story.
    Nichelle Nichols was so important to the show as a strong female and black character that Martin Luther King asked her to stay when she wanted to quit.
    It may look naff, but still to this day it is great, personally to me because it dealt with mindbending conundrums that were literally lightyears ahead of the human race back then and still are now. I love it in all it's cheesiness, greatness, ugliness, beauty and strangeness. Just imagine what else would have been on telly in 1967.

Great post, & how I feel myself about TOS too :) The only thing I'd ad is that the HD versions of TOS make it far, far, FAR easier to watch than the original (strings holding up the ship etc replaced with pretty nice CGI). The video quality is excellent, & it feels like you're almost watching a new show

Myrddin wrote: »
    Great post, & how I feel myself about TOS too :) The only thing I'd ad is that the HD versions of TOS make it far, far, FAR easier to watch than the original (strings holding up the ship etc replaced with pretty nice CGI). The video quality is excellent, & it feels like you're almost watching a new show

I know what you mean, but for me it has to be strings all the way. I'm with South Park on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I find myself flipping between the old and new effects when I watch the TOS blurays. I'm not hung up on studios not improving effects so long as they don't materially change scenes or the World which is being created. That's what Lucas did wrong, IMO.

Some of the new shots in TNG and TOS look beautiful and can really help sell the story.

• Advertisement

I justify the CGI shots to myself by thinking that we got what we got originally because that's all that could be afforded, and that's all the technology allowed back then. I think that if Gene could have used CGI back then, he would have...so we're seeing his vision only now, how he meant it for us to be seen. The attention to detail & work that went into the CGI replacement scenes isn't even on the same level as what Lucas did to the original trilogy, that was an abomination - what has happened to Trek though, has been an improvement - and that's the big difference.

Guess I'll have to watch Mad Men now...

Well worth it. It is the best television ever made.

But from the ST viewpoint it gives a great insight into the living rooms that tos was being broadcast.

I justify the CGI shots to myself by thinking that we got what we got originally because that's all that could be afforded, and that's all the technology allowed back then. I think that if Gene could have used CGI back then, he would have...so we're seeing his vision only now, how he meant it for us to be seen. The attention to detail & work that went into the CGI replacement scenes isn't even on the same level as what Lucas did to the original trilogy, that was an abomination - what has happened to Trek though, has been an improvement - and that's the big difference.

Wellifugginnever...mumblemumble...youthoftoday.mrrrgrrnnphht! (shakes fist) :P;)
    Grumpy old git alert

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

ruskin wrote: »
    Jesus, time has not been good to Kes.

Says she's 41! :eek::eek::eek:
    She looks way older.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

She looks way older.

Had to check IMDB to double check her age, thought she was older than 21 when she starred in Voyager. She look a bit worse for wear to be sure. A bit of public nudity and threats to kill cops, definitely not operating on full thrusters unfortunately.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/jennifer-lien-arrested-star-trek-voyager-1201594328/

She's unrecognisable in the mug shot photo there, and it definitely sounds like a dilithium crystal has cracked....

She looks way older.

She's almost 4 tines older than any living occompa. God knows the affect that would have on the poor woman physically, or it seems mentally.

Men's sana in corpus sana and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

That sounds like either a drug related meltdown or menopause, or both. jaysis..

i seen a picture of Kes a few years ago, and she'd put on a load of weight, she actually looks like she's lost a good bit in that picture, obviously she's naked and all but yeah..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

How does it work if you're on a show like voyager?

Does she get a few shillings every time syfy does a voyager run through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

That sounds like either a drug related meltdown or menopause, or both. jaysis..

i seen a picture of Kes a few years ago, and she'd put on a load of weight, she actually looks like she's lost a good bit in that picture, obviously she's naked and all but yeah..

I dont know any woman who had an episode like that caused by menopause.

syklops wrote: »

I had a good laugh at his comment. I hope that it was in jest.

She's had trouble before, to be fair. Can't have been easy having your job safe until Garret Wang gets saved by a "beautiful people" article

syklops wrote: »

lucky for you, i do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

She's unrecognisable in the mug shot photo there, and it definitely sounds like a dilithium crystal has cracked....

Is it the dark side of a trek future? Dilithium meth

cerastes wrote: »
    Is it the dark side of a trek future? Dilithium meth

Tuvok as Walter White?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Tuvok as Walter White?

Maybe Barclay?

Tuvok as Walter White?

No wonder it's blue....it's a blue meth chamber, cooking non stop!

tumblr_n0el4i8MNH1trbh6do1_400.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

How does it work if you're on a show like voyager?

Does she get a few shillings every time syfy does a voyager run through?

Paid by the Week/Month/Ep/Contract Agreement I'd imagine. Contract most likely.

Cut of proceeds/run through would be very rare/non existent.

cerastes wrote: »
    Maybe Barclay?

I figured him more of a Saul than a Walt, Wesley and Picard?

I figured him more of a Saul than a Walt, Wesley and Picard?

Awesome and comes with ready to use catch phrase.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Always thought TNG's arm torches were cool as feck. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just watched the defector on TNG.

"Are you ready to die today Tomolok? ....then let's die together."
    Picard was almost Klingon in his delivery :)

• Advertisement

Just watched the defector on TNG.

"Are you ready to die today Tomolok? ....then let's die together."
    Picard was almost Klingon in his delivery :)

That's what I love about Picard. He is a supreme diplomat, has the kind of people skills that will get you to follow him into anything, he knows that tricky situations in the face of the enemy are not chess, but poker, in short he will use his intelligence over force every time and he doesn't get blinded by emotions.
    But when his back is up against the wall he is as gung-ho, daring and dangerous as they come. As we have seen in Tapestry, it's what makes him what he is. Picard to me is as awesome as they come. When you look at Kirk, Cisco and Janeway, this seems to be a requirement for Star Fleet captains, cool, controlled, intelligent and always seeking out the peaceful solution, but dangerous bastards when cornered. But I have to say it again, Picard rules supreme IMO.
    THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Advertisement