Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 jem hadar

"He just kept talking and talking in one uninterrupted sentence moving from topic to topic"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Been watching a lot of ENT and really enjoying it. Some great episodes like the Borg episode, but there is surely one too many episode with T'Pol or Hoshi rubbing greasy decontamination gel on themselves in the decontamination room while in their underwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

syklops wrote: »
    Been watching a lot of ENT and really enjoying it. Some great episodes like the Borg episode, but there is surely one too many episode with T'Pol or Hoshi rubbing greasy decontamination gel on themselves in the decontamination room while in their underwear.

To be fair to ENT there were some good episodes alright...

- The Borg one was definitely a highlight but like the Ferengi episode, it was a bit stupid how the writers tried to get around the fact that these species were first met in TNG by just not naming them .. especially with the Borg as it's one of the first things they say!

- The temporal Cold War ones weren't all bad, but it was very much a missed opportunity. I remember all the speculation about who the mysterious hologram guy that the Suliban were taking orders from was. Thought he was a Cardassian for a while myself :)

- The 2-parter "In a Mirror darkly" mirror universe one was excellent!! Unfortunately part of this was because the counterpart characters were so much more interesting and "alive" than the dull cut-outs in the primary universe

But yes, there was an awful lot of shyte in there too... There's much of the first to thirds season I still haven't seen because it was just terrible anytime I watched it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

jem hadar wrote: »
    "He just kept talking and talking in one uninterrupted sentence moving from topic to topic"

It was quite hypnotic.

Did you mean not enough? :cool::D;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    - The Borg one was definitely a highlight but like the Ferengi episode, it was a bit stupid how the writers tried to get around the fact that these species were first met in TNG by just not naming them .. especially with the Borg as it's one of the first things they say!
    that one is nicely tied into the events of First Contact though and occurs as a direct result of it which is neat and clever IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Whwn the Borg hailed the enterprise, the didn't say "We are Borg", they skipped over that part and went straight to "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile". I can't decide whether that was clever or lazy writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Whwn the Borg hailed the enterprise, the didn't say "We are Borg", they skipped over that part and went straight to "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile". I can't decide whether that was clever or lazy writing.

I think it was lazy.

I don't think it is too much of a stretch to believe that the word borg would have been lost over the intervening centuries between this and TNG

I don't think it is too much of a stretch to believe that the word borg would have been lost over the intervening centuries between this and TNG

but it hadn't happened yet for TNG

/time travelling conundrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

but it hadn't happened yet for TNG

/time travelling conundrum

A leads to b leads to c leads to a

• Advertisement

But it had... remember the two-parter VOY episode "Dark Frontier" where we get the backstory on Seven's parents. Set before TNG and yet little Annika had a cube to play with and they knew quite a bit about the Borg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    But it had... remember the two-parter VOY episode "Dark Frontier" where we get the backstory on Seven's parents. Set before TNG and yet little Annika had a cube to play with and they knew quite a bit about the Borg.

They had been shadowing a cube if memory serves me correctly.

They had been shadowing a cube if memory serves me correctly.

THat was later in the ep.. at the very start of the flashback they were preparing to leave Federation space but were remarkably well-informed.

So..

- Ent-D meets the Borg thanks to Q
    - cue rest of events in TNG/VOY
    - First Contact sends them back to pre-ENT days
    - ENT has the frozen survivors wake up and start rampaging. They also aim a signal at the Delta Quadrant
    - Pre-TNG, the Hansen's set off to learn more about the Borg and are assimilated
    - Ent-D meets the Borg thanks to Q (possibly were already on the way thanks to the above 2 interactions?)

Time loop complete. I should apply for that vacant command slot on the Relativity :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Voyager absolutely destroyed the Borg. They went from a huge threat to the Federation, to a nuisance that popped up and were pretty useless. Voyager took on a tactical Cube, and actually survived for a few minutes. And lets not mention the fake assimilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Kiith wrote: »
    Voyager absolutely destroyed the Borg. They went from a huge threat to the Federation, to a nuisance that popped up and were pretty useless. Voyager took on a tactical Cube, and actually survived for a few minutes. And lets not mention the fake assimilation.

I'd like to think Enterprise's "Regeneration" went some way towards making up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

in season 5 episode 18 of voyager "oblivion" the one where voyager is actually the clones from the demon planet.

At the start Janeway refers to Paris as lieutenant and not ensign. obviously the clones didn't encounter the water planet (or any other planet) so Paris wasn't demoted but it was a sure fire sign that something in the episode was not right from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

crazyderk wrote: »
    in season 5 episode 18 of voyager "oblivion" the one where voyager is actually the clones from the demon planet.

At the start Janeway refers to Paris as lieutenant and not ensign. obviously the clones didn't encounter the water planet (or any other planet) so Paris wasn't demoted but it was a sure fire sign that something in the episode was not right from the start

I have to say that is one of my favourite episodes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Do you remember Stargate SG1 there were a couple of episodes were either SG1 were cloned by robots or another team pretended to be SG1? SG1 at least came across a planet were their clones/phoney team had been before. How in 10 months did Voyager not encounter another species that said "oh hey, what are you guys doing back here?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

crazyderk wrote: »
    Do you remember Stargate SG1 there were a couple of episodes were either SG1 were cloned by robots or another team pretended to be SG1? SG1 at least came across a planet were their clones/phoney team had been before. How in 10 months did Voyager not encounter another species that said "oh hey, what are you guys doing back here?"

Because:
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Except they were travelling in the same direction from the same start point

• Advertisement

Except they were travelling in the same direction from the same start point

on a course with a very limited degree of variance.
    that one is a bit silly IMO, but then again getting home wasn't as important as stopping off at every two bit planet or nebula remotely nearby to have a gander / piss off the locals.

Shur the copies were doing better than the originals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

It is one of the better ones. Some of the acting in the earlier ones is a bit ropey

And the ship acts like a light destroyer Vs heavy cruiser you would be used to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

If you haven't seen Star Trek Continues have a look st it. It's an excellent fan series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Michael Dorn AMA on The Worf Chronicles

Alexander is gonna be in it...I hated every ep with that little boll*x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Michael Dorn AMA on The Worf Chronicles

Alexander is gonna be in it...I hated every ep with that little boll*x.

Saw the reddit ama. Agree Alexander was a little (fill In the word)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Dorn chose Picard over Sisko :P

• Advertisement

Followed Dorn and landed on this:

Advertisement