Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Dorn chose Picard over Sisko :P

Make it so..

Didnt expect anything else, 7 years and 3 films with Picard..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Dorn chose Picard over Sisko :P

Sisko intimidates Worf though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Daith wrote: »
    Sisko intimidates Worf though :p

Picard called Worf a coward to his face and lived :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Make it so..

Didnt expect anything else, 7 years and 3 films with Picard..

4 films with Picard. Nevermind.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

syklops wrote: »
    4 films with Picard. Nevermind.

no you're right,

Generations
    First contact
    Insurrection
    Nemesis

• Advertisement

no you're right,

Generations
    First contact
    Insurrection
    Nemesis

I thought you were omitting Nemesis on purpose. :pac:

I thought you were omitting Nemesis on purpose. :pac:

whats not to like.. bad ass romulan war birds.. we'll forget about Hardy!

whats not to like.. bad ass romulan war birds.. we'll forget about Hardy!

Data's annoying special needs brother for one. Of the four movies its definitely not the most loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 JamesTC

Data's annoying special needs brother for one. Of the four movies its definitely not the most loved.

Let’s be honest, three out of the four were awful, First Contact gets a free pass because it’s the best of a bad bunch and I think we loved TNG so much we wanted at least one of the films to be good, and first contact ticks some of those boxes:
    Cool new ship-check
    The Borg (before Voyager ruined them) - check
    New uniforms that don’t look like pajamas – check
    Good Thyme Music – check
    Good Plot – well four out of five ain`t bad.
    I would take any two part TNG episode over any of the films in terms of plot every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've never got the hatred for Generations. I loved it at the time (Kirk death aside) and think it is really re-watchable now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've never got the hatred for Generations. I loved it at the time (Kirk death aside) and think it is really re-watchable now.

Epic opening sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Generations and first contact were awesome and I have rewatched them numerous times. Picards final speech in generations is one of my most favourite speeches of all time. Y'all need to be committed to the insane asylum if you disagree!

crazyderk wrote: »
    Generations and first contact were awesome and I have rewatched them numerous times. Picards final speech in generations is one of my most favourite speeches of all time. Y'all need to be committed to the insane asylum if you disagree!

"Risk is part of the game if you want to sit in that chair"

Epic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

"Risk is part of the game if you want to sit in that chair"

Epic.

Risk is our business! Or should I say Risk, is our. Business!

Epic opening sequence.

Indeed but features TOS crew. I hated the "passing the torch" crap.

The show was a ratings behemoth and deserved its own film from the get go. Not a best of mash up

Indeed but features TOS crew. I hated the "passing the torch" crap.

The show was a ratings behemoth and deserved its own film from the get go. Not a best of mash up

100%.

Overall the film was weak I feel.

It lacked a good villain which all the good films have, like Kahn, the Borg queen or whalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I always felt the end of Undiscovered Country was a perfect 'farewell' to the original Crew. Kirk's final captain's log entry with its references to 'new crew' and 'where no one has gone before' served as a perfect passing of the torch to TNG. Dragging them back for Generations sort of devalued that 'farewell' from Undiscovered Country plus it felt like a bit of gimmick - that the writers & producers weren't confident enough in TNG crew to carry a film on their own.

agree, i liked generations and yes it was a cliche but enjoyable none the less

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I didn't mind having the old crew back but killing Kirk was a mistake, and badly handled regardless.

Good performance from Malcolm McDowell (thought the character might have been more at home as a Bond villain though), and fantastic seeing the Enterprise-D on the big screen with a big budget.

It's not without it's faults but I kinda liked it overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I take it the odds are against us and the situation is grim? Sounds like fun.

Sends a chill down my spine that whole scene does, even all these years later.

• Advertisement

Kirk should have died on the bridge of a starship not by some scaffolding falling on him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Kirk should have died on the bridge of a starship not by some scaffolding falling on him!

As said above, the ending of The Undiscovered Country was the perfect send off for the old crew. There wasn't any need to 'kill' Kirk off, it just seemed a rather crass method of the studio saying "Look, Kirk is dead & the Enterprise D is gone now too...so we're moving on from here".

I'm in the hate Generations camp btw.

Both Kirk and the Enterprise D deserved a better sending off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Scaffolding lol
    I agree but given the very weak construction of the bridges of trek ships, he probably would have died under some scaffolding like structure falling on him, but he should at least have been in the captains chair, heroically at the end, you know, like his father! :eek:

cerastes wrote: »
    Scaffolding lol
    I agree but given the very weak construction of the bridges of trek ships, he probably would have died under some scaffolding like structure falling on him, but he should at least have been in the captains chair, heroically at the end, you know, like his father! :eek:

Technically I think it was a bridge that he died under.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I went to Star Trek The Ultimate Voyage in the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday. A celebration of the music from Star Trek over the last 50 years. It was amazing. They played pieces from different shows and films with video montages up on a giant screen, and each section had a voice intro by Michael Dorn. I have one tiny criticism. The clips all had full sound and dialogue, which kind of annoyed me as it drowned out some of my favourite pieces. However, it was spectacular. And they had two of Star Trek's best composers, Jay Chattaway and Ron Jones conduct some of their own pieces.

And some random guy in full uniform complete with Klingon sash shouted some Klingon at the auditorium before the show which got a round of applause :D

As for a new show, I hope they aren't messing us around! Don't get my hopes up god dammit!

What universe is it in Prime or crappy?

SarahBM wrote: »
    I went to Star Trek The Ultimate Voyage in the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday. A celebration of the music from Star Trek over the last 50 years. It was amazing. They played pieces from different shows and films with video montages up on a giant screen, and each section had a voice intro by Michael Dorn. I have one tiny criticism. The clips all had full sound and dialogue, which kind of annoyed me as it drowned out some of my favourite pieces. However, it was spectacular. And they had two of Star Trek's best composers, Jay Chattaway and Ron Jones conduct some of their own pieces.

And some random guy in full uniform complete with Klingon sash shouted some Klingon at the auditorium before the show which got a round of applause :D

As for a new show, I hope they aren't messing us around! Don't get my hopes up god dammit!

I have been loving Enterprise the last week or so. I kind of gave up on it around Series 2. Series 3 and particularly 4 have had some very solid episodes. The 700th episode was genius, though I felt episode 701 disappointing. It really came into its own as a series. With the new series starting in 2017, I suppose I have just enough time to rewatch well, everything, between now and then.

As You say SarahBM, please give us something decent and don't jerk us around for 2 seasons and then cancel it. Im not sure how I feel about an original series reboot. The Klingons are a very interesting race, but going back to when they are warring with the Federation will get tedious quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

What universe is it in Prime or crappy?

going by the article "The new TV series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond, which is expected to premiere next summer."

Oh my god this is the best news ever! a new star trek!

Horay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement