Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

Not related could just mean that the events don't coincide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Watching TOS for the first time. Love Captain Pike!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

One the one hand I love it and on the other I dread it already.
    I have to stay away from message boards when its on, because the internet will always sh*t over everything I love and telling me how crap it was.
    I once loved the new Flash Gordon, I should never have looked it up online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

SarahBM wrote: »

Enjoy, stick with it because it IS worth it. Think of the show as a prequel to the movies (which of course it is really!). I've just finished it, & will miss it. Nimoy is exceptional, he really created a unique character in Spok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Dont get too attached to Captain Pike.

• Advertisement

I'm up as far as the enemy within. I am actually loving this. I thought I would hate it to be honest! But I really am enjoying it! Charlie X was a brilliant episode!

I'm up as far as the enemy within. I am actually loving this. I thought I would hate it to be honest! But I really am enjoying it! Charlie X was a brilliant episode!

A real Trek fan there ladies & gents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I enjoyed most of TOS , particularly the remastered versions which unlike the Star Wars prequels weren't just CGI everywhere!

Space Seed (KHAN!!!!! Proper Khan, not the JJ awfulness), The Doomsday Machine, Balance of Terror (The Enemy Below in space :)), The Squire of Gothos (suggested to be a young member of the Q in a subsequent Peter David novel), Mirror Mirror, The Trouble with Tribbles and The Ultimate Computer would be among my personal favorites.

I am looking forward to all of the above!

I really am surprised how much I have enjoyed the few episodes I have seen, and I am now kicking myself that I didn't watch them sooner! Watching on Netflix so the quality is excellent. And the scores are just fantastic!

Mudd's Women is a weird ep. Can't believe they let those women be sold as slaves basically with hardly any fight.
    Was it a pop at the sex trade in the 60s?

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I enjoyed most of TOS , particularly the remastered versions which unlike the Star Wars prequels weren't just CGI everywhere!

Space Seed (KHAN!!!!! Proper Khan, not the JJ awfulness), The Doomsday Machine, Balance of Terror (The Enemy Below in space :)), The Squire of Gothos (suggested to be a young member of the Q in a subsequent Peter David novel), Mirror Mirror, The Trouble with Tribbles and The Ultimate Computer would be among my personal favorites.

I will not hear a word said against Cumberbatch! :p (Bit of a fangirl, me)
    I thought he did a great Khan, whatever else the flaws of that movie were. My main gripe is Spock shouting the "Khaaaaan!!!" bit, that was not necessary and maybe plot elements were modeled a bit too close on Star Trek II, but otherwise I enjoy the new movies. And boy do they look good onscreen.

Ricardo was Khan, I love Cumberbatch but I was glad it was a CG heavy film, given the scenery chewing

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

I felt Cumberbatch was very wooden. And it was very stereotypical and unimaginative to pick up an English guy for the villain. The guy had none of the menacing, mesmerising charisma that Montalban had which made Khan such a unique and powerful character.

Mr Scott as a kind of Shaggy from Scooby Doo or one part of a comic duet that mirrored the robots from Star Wars just demonstrated Abrams' mind was more looking forward to doing Star Wars than anything else. They really mauled that character.

Which is surprising because I thought the rest of cast was well cast. Kirk, Spock and Pike were convincing enough.

The plot was very lazy. They just didn't bother to write one. They just mixed up the 80's film in one swamp of a plot with a plot they half baked themselves and tried to carry it all through by bambozzling the audience with FX. And they went on and did it again with the next film!

Which worked, I suppose, given how popular the film became.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Cumberbatch would have made a great general Chang

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I take it the odds are against us and the situation is grim? Sounds like fun.

Sends a chill down my spine that whole scene does, even all these years later.

for me it is
    Kirk: "keep things together until i get back"
    Scotty: "I always do"
    *kirk enters turbo lift with a smile and music starts*
    IvySlayer wrote: »
    Both Kirk and the Enterprise D deserved a better sending off.

while i agree on reflection it could have been better i still think it was the right choice

back then there was no spoilers like today, i was really caught off guard when the ship went down, it was done with logical cannon established technobabble, we got to see saucer separation one last time and we got to see the enterprise E :)
    + as said above we wouldn't have got the end scene walking through the rubble, the speech, spot ect if it was destroyed in space.

WhatAMelon wrote: »

The plot was very lazy. They just didn't bother to write one. They just mixed up the 80's film in one swamp of a plot with a plot they half baked themselves and tried to carry it all through by bambozzling the audience with FX. And they went on and did it again with the next film!

Which worked, I suppose, given how popular the film became.

will people be talking about it in 20 years like we just talked about generations?
    no i doublt it. pure popcorn ****e

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Both Kirk and the Enterprise D deserved a better sending off.

The Enterprise D got the best send off possible as far as i'm concerned. This is when it ended in my mind (even though i enjoyed the film).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Kiith wrote: »
    The Enterprise D got the best send off possible as far as i'm concerned. This is when it ended in my mind (even though i enjoyed the film).

Always loved that scene. Still get the goosebumps

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Always loved that scene. Still get the goosebumps

This one always gets me personally..

Damn onions! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Kiith wrote: »

It might be the hangover and lack of sleep but I just got really emotional watching that!

This episode "Miri" - I find it a bit creepy

• Advertisement

On to the episode The Corbomite Manoeuvre.

Is it time to be able to post this again??

Watching the episode The Conscience of the King ( which is a great episode!) I am struck by the fact that although Kirk is a complete womanizer and a bit of a man-whore, there is just something mesmerizing about him! He has got to be the most charismatic man there ever was on TV! You just cannot take your eyes off him when he is on screen! Fascinating!

This episode "Miri" - I find it a bit creepy

Bonk, bonk, on the head!

Watching the episode The Conscience of the King ( which is a great episode!) I am struck by the fact that although Kirk is a complete womanizer and a bit of a man-whore, there is just something mesmerizing about him! He has got to be the most charismatic man there ever was on TV! You just cannot take your eyes off him when he is on screen! Fascinating!

People hate to admit it but without Shatner, in that role, Trek would have gone the way of so many 60/70s Sci-fi, well liked but dead on cancellation

Personally I thought Shatner was brilliant, as Sarah said, he oozes charisma and has a massive screen presence. I'd go one further though and say he was enriched by the chemistry between Kelley, Nimoy & himself too...as a trio, they just 'worked' in a way that casting executives can only dream of. On my most recent rewatch, it was Nimoy who stood out for me, with his portrayal of Spock.

Nimoy's Spock is probably the best portrayal but it's Kirk (so Shatner) that anchors it.

Spock is the one that you appreciate on repeat viewings but it's Kirk which makes you want to view again

Overall I prefer Stewart's Picard but have to give credit where it most certainly is due

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

Spock, Picard, McCoy, Sisko are brilliantly played as is Worf. I don't find anyone in Enterprise that was outstanding. Tuvok was quite good in Voyager.

Kirk is brilliantly played as well although that's not to say there isn't a bit of cheesiness that doesn't so much as distract from the character but manages to enhance it!

Shatners performances in the films though are upfront excellent.

• Advertisement

WhatAMelon wrote: »
    Spock, Picard, McCoy, Sisko are brilliantly played as is Worf. I don't find anyone in Enterprise that was outstanding. Tuvok was quite good in Voyager.

Kirk is brilliantly played as well although that's not to say there isn't a bit of cheesiness that doesn't so much as distract from the character but manages to enhance it!

Shatners performances in the films though are upfront excellent.

I am crazy about all those characters to an unhealthy degree :p but my stand out favourite is Data. The stand out moment for me is the conversation between Data and Spock in Reunification, where Spock tells Data he would make a far better Vulcan.

Though it turns out that Data doesn't quite fit the Klingon mold. :D

Advertisement