Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Indeed, Spiner was really excellent at portraying Data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I am still on season one and I already can't wait for the movies.

Damn work getting in the way of my trek binge

WhatAMelon wrote: »
    Spock, Picard, McCoy, Sisko are brilliantly played as is Worf. I don't find anyone in Enterprise that was outstanding. Tuvok was quite good in Voyager.

Kirk is brilliantly played as well although that's not to say there isn't a bit of cheesiness that doesn't so much as distract from the character but manages to enhance it!

Shatners performances in the films though are upfront excellent.

Phlox

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yeah Phlox was decent, and a bit of a freak - but McCoy and the EMH are the best of the lot, i couldnt stand Bashir, though he did grow on me after a few seasons, and Crusher was an annoyance, Pulaski was better imo :D

i couldnt stand Bashir, though he did grow on me after a few seasons

Hey Miles, how's life back at the Academy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

I wasn't too bothered with Phlox personally and whilst I liked bits and pieces of Enterprise I wasn't impressed with the acting strength on that show. Dukat, now there was a great character in DS9.

Pulaski gets a bit of schitck but I quite liked her as a fairly convincing McCoy redux.

Bashir was OK but they kind of muddled that character up with the eugenics stuff. I felt they didn't quite know what to do with him after that episode. Shutting down the Bashir-Sloan interplay in the way that they did was unimpressive least of all because they refused a rich source of storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

That whole Eugenics angle with Bashir was just ridiculous and made you have to wonder how high up the line in the writing/producing hierarchy people had to go to green-light such fundamental changes to core characters. If they'd planted seeds all the way through then that's one thing but re-watching the show it is clear that he is one character up to one single late-season show and then another character after that. It takes you out of it a bit.

That character had a couple of those too, actually. When he got kidnapped by the Dominion and is supposedly replaced for a few episodes when you just know that that is not how the character was written in those intervening weeks. Didn't one of those shows include the Founder that Odo found? (I might have that wrong as it is just off the top of my head). It is just sloppy writing on a show which differentiated itself by its long-term plotting and multi-episode story arcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

There be Romulans!!!
    Balance of Terror!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

SarahBM wrote: »
    There be Romulans!!!
    Balance of Terror!!!

Sarek! I mean Romulan Commander... :D

Started a Voyager run-through, & one thing struck me....is it not a bit ridiculous to think that the caretaker, rather than bringing ships from all over the galaxy to him, couldn't have just transported the Okampa away from the Kazon. He's obviously a very advanced being, with very advanced tech at his disposal...and instead of finding the Okampa a new home...he leaves them in danger and devotes his life to protecting them.

Also, there was some very tense moments between Janeway and Chakotay in the 2nd episode re assigning Maquis to command level positions. They seriously, seriously missed a trick by not exploring this more.

The replicators were offline, rations running out, and everybody is as happy as can be to be stranded 75 years from home. Everyone except Tores it seems. A very, very safe approach to a new Trek show :( Still, I'm, enjoying it so far...hard to believe it's 20 years old next year!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They really did miss a golden opportunity with Voyager. Had a chance to really show how isolation could effect a starship and her crew, with a constant demand for materials and supplies. Instead, the ship never got damaged, barely anyone died, and no one seemed to care that they may never see Earth again.

Still, it did have some great episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Kiith wrote: »
    They really did miss a golden opportunity with Voyager. Had a chance to really show how isolation could effect a starship and her crew, with a constant demand for materials and supplies. Instead, the ship never got damaged, barely anyone died, and no one seemed to care that they may never see Earth again.

sounds like it's be depressing to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

sounds like it's be depressing to look at.

That's just how TV has gone - "gritty realism" > "entertainment" .. The revamped BSG is the show to watch if you want that sorta thing.

While that kind of TV has its place (and I enjoyed BSG for the most part), personally I'm glad that there's been a bit of a renaissance of fun shows of late - The Last Ship, Scorpion, The Flash, Limitless to name 4.
    All very watchable, don't-overthink-just-go-with-it shows that we used to have in the 80s with stuff like Knight Rider and the A-Team :)

Off topic, how secure is Limitless?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

Kiith wrote: »

They could've actually done the 70 years. Had the changing of the guard as older officers age and die off to be replaced by a new generation.

Instead it was like TNG only a bit weaker. One year, one season and hardly much longer away from home than any run of the mill 5/7 year mission. They also hacked the borg to death and overused time travel whilst doing it. And they virtually shelved the Maquis divide aside from the occasional clumsy episode where they tried to dig up that corpse.

As someone who will watch Star Trek, I was happy enough with it I suppose, but it's no surprise it didn't take off with a wider audience.

Ex Post Facto, the first episode of Voyager that employs blatant plot recycling (see TNG: A Matter of Perspective).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That's just how TV has gone - "gritty realism" > "entertainment" .. The revamped BSG is the show to watch if you want that sorta thing.

While that kind of TV has its place (and I enjoyed BSG for the most part), personally I'm glad that there's been a bit of a renaissance of fun shows of late - The Last Ship, Scorpion, The Flash, Limitless to name 4.
    All very watchable, don't-overthink-just-go-with-it shows that we used to have in the 80s with stuff like Knight Rider and the A-Team :)

It's ironic that when BSG was popular I was completely against 'dark tv' and wouldn't touch it but now that fun shows have made a return I'm completely for 'dark tv' having watched it. Does anyone find season 1 of DS9 impossibly boring? When it was on during the 90s I remember it being incredibly dull and watching some episodes I find it even more boring. It's just so staid.

Star Trek 3 on TV there. Telling you; that would be considered a very good Trek film, if it were not sandwiched by Wrath of Khan and Voyage Home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Star Trek 3 on TV there. Telling you; that would be considered a very good Trek film, if it were not sandwiched by Wrath of Khan and Voyage Home

You say that like the Voyage Home is good :confused:

It is good

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    You say that like the Voyage Home is good :confused:

It's pure Trek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

WhatAMelon wrote: »
    They could've actually done the 70 years. Had the changing of the guard as older officers age and die off to be replaced by a new generation.

Instead it was like TNG only a bit weaker. One year, one season and hardly much longer away from home than any run of the mill 5/7 year mission. They also hacked the borg to death and overused time travel whilst doing it. And they virtually shelved the Maquis divide aside from the occasional clumsy episode where they tried to dig up that corpse.

As someone who will watch Star Trek, I was happy enough with it I suppose, but it's no surprise it didn't take off with a wider audience.

I don't think anyone would watch a TV show that runs 70 years. And you could never keep the staff that long... :D:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

match of the day on bbc has been running longer than trek :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Search for Spock is extremely underrated IMO...

- The Stealing the Enterprise scene is fantastic, especially the music:

(Yes I've posted that before but it's epic :D)

- We get our first look (back then) at the Bird of Prey

- First look at Sulu's future command, the Excelsior

- Chris Lloyd as Kruge is pretty good for someone I usually think of as Doc Brown

- The death of poor old NCC-1701 (no bloody A, B, C, or D!!! :p). Far more fitting than her intended fate of being stripped for parts and scrapped no doubt, or ending up as a museum piece

- It has a more (we're taking it) "serious" tone which I preferred to the much more comedic Voyage Home and Final Frontier. I like Voyage Home but I'd rate Search for Spock higher to be honest

"You Klingon bastards.... you've killed my son"

Shatner at his finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

When Riker and the like are left in charge do you reckon they adjust the height and angle of Picard's chair?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Riker doesn't sit down, the man has piles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Star Trek, Rugby League style.

• Advertisement

Advertisement