Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Nearing the end of the first season of the original series. Court Martial. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

SarahBM wrote: »
    Nearing the end of the first season of the original series. Court Martial. :-)

Are we slowing down Sarah? :eek: You would have done 3 Voyager run throughs by now!!! :P

How are you finding it?

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Are we slowing down Sarah? :eek: You would have done 3 Voyager run throughs by now!!! :P

How are you finding it?

Im not slowing down. I just have had no time over the last few weeks. :rolleyes:

You know it's gas, for all the Voyager haters and Atlantis haters, I actually loved them. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Court Martial was a great episode and so was Tomorrow is Yesterday. But the Kirk stund double was sooooo obvious! . I have to say I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would! But the episode with the Gorn. OMG!

Hopefully will get to watch a few more eps this wknd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

But the Gorn is classic! You have to have the Gorn!
    The styrofoam rocks only add to it.
    After watching TOS you have to watch the Futurama episode "where no fan has gone before". It even has the original cast in it. Best futurama episode ever.

And in the episode court martial, you know, Kirk just had to show a bit of skin too! ha ha ha!

• Advertisement

So I thought being on episode 21 I was near the end of the First season, but there are 30 episodes!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Might see the new Star Trek trailer while I'm seeing Star Wars on Saturday :P

Not very excited since I hated the last one and 2009 was meh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The trailer is offensively bad.

I thought the trailer looked good, but I can't wait to see it properly on the big screen. I am looking forward to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Broke my no Trailer rule and watched the new X-Men Apocalypse one...shure I don't need to watch the film at all now.

• Advertisement

Do NOT watch the Batman v Superman trailer! Its the entire movie. Ruined for me now.
    Didn't see anything too bad in the Star Trek trailer, its just another internet fad to say "yeah, it was total shoite so it was!" about any new movie, be it Star Wars, Star Trek, X-Men, Bond, you name it, people have to tear it down.
    OK, the trailer I saw had Beasty Boys over it which didn't do it any favours and you couldn't guess the story from it, but I liked the look of it.

The Jurassic World trailer did that too

A lot of films have let me down recently, Jurassic World, Avengers age of ultron, Spectre etc

I feel like a traitor talking about Star Wars here :P

IvySlayer wrote: »
    The Jurassic World trailer did that too

A lot of films have let me down recently, Jurassic World, Avengers age of ultron, Spectre etc

I feel like a traitor talking about Star Wars here :P

There was nothing wrong with Spectre.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As bad as the Jurassic Park trailer was for spoilers, Batman vs Superman is unbelievable in how much it gives away. Seriously, it's crazy that they allowed so much to be shown in the trailer. As someone who used to love trailer, you have to be really careful these days, as they are practically showing the entire plot in some of them.

Kiith wrote: »
    As bad as the Jurassic Park trailer was for spoilers, Batman vs Superman is unbelievable in how much it gives away. Seriously, it's crazy that they allowed so much to be shown in the trailer. As someone who used to love trailer, you have to be really careful these days, as they are practically showing the entire plot in some of them.

Agree. But there is no point in complaining about JP trailers, dino park, dinos break out, mayhem ensues, people get eaten in entertaining ways, small band of plucky heroes save the day. It's the same copy and paste scriptwriting as Fast and Furious. Which leads me to a mini rant:
    Why the FCUK do people moan about Star Trek, Star Wars, Bond, Marvel and yet MILLIONS of people go "Ah jaysus, dem F&F movies are great, dey're even better than Citizen Kane !". It's the same effing movie 7 times! The fcuk is wrong with people.
    Ranty today, grrrrr.

Agree. But there is no point in complaining about JP trailers, dino park, dinos break out, mayhem ensues, people get eaten in entertaining ways, small band of plucky heroes save the day. It's the same copy and paste scriptwriting as Fast and Furious. Which leads me to a mini rant:
    Why the FCUK do people moan about Star Trek, Star Wars, Bond, Marvel and yet MILLIONS of people go "Ah jaysus, dem F&F movies are great, dey're even better than Citizen Kane !". It's the same effing movie 7 times! The fcuk is wrong with people.
    Ranty today, grrrrr.

Because you set your standards differently for different films.

I want mindless awesome car stunts and FAMILY from Fast franchise.

I expect more from Trek

Actually saw the trailer, it has Guardians of the Galaxy feel about it (which I loved) but for Trek? Nahhh

The wonder, the journey, the exploration of humanity/space etc

The new Star Wars film seems to have caught the essence of the older films

Because you set your standards differently for different films.

I want mindless awesome car stunts and FAMILY from Fast franchise.

I expect more from Trek

I might argue that that is the case. Into Darkness may have tried to fly too close to the Wrath of Khan, but I liked it and I do feel I care for the characters. Also, a long time has passed since TWoK, this is a whole new generation (no pun intended) of cast and staff behind the franchise, in a way I don't think they will ever recapture what it once was. When Spock gave the original "I always have been and always shall be your friend" I was crying like a little girl, but I don't think we'll see the likes of it in main stream cinema these days. It's too safe and profit oriented. It is quite a different thing these days and the same could be said for the rival franchise. :D
    F&F is exactly what it says on the tin, but I physically cannot watch them for more than 20 minutes without vomiting blood. :p

I wonder if there's a way watch the film and have Q pop up at the end and saw 'Nahh I'm bored of this now' *clicks fingers*
    and it's all deleted :P

I wonder if there's a way watch the film and have Q pop up at the end and saw 'Nahh I'm bored of this now' *clicks fingers*

Having a tough day and you just gave me a great laugh. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Having a tough day and you just gave me a great laugh. Thanks for that.

Same. I can picture it exactly too, "Meh, I miss Jean Luc....snap!" :D

Myrddin wrote: »
    Same. I can picture it exactly too, "Meh, I miss Jean Luc....snap!" :D

I do have to admit that All Good Things is better by several orders of magnitude than most Trek movies.
    Next Trek movie should be about Q and Jean Luc.

Voyager and DS9 then stepped in and made bad Q episodes

Let one of the most powerful beings in the universe skirt chase Vash...

Wondering if a Q committing suicide would end the universe? Didn't the Continuum kill 2 Q in TNG?

Let's stimulate a Q civil war with the American civil war and have the Voyager crew even equip Q weapons!

Let them wonder if Q can make babies and how to be a parent, despite them being omnipotent, and not forgetting the Q baby Amanda Rogers

Q were fascinated with humanity and even said they could become more powerful than the Continuum. So many mysteries, where did Q come from, why did Q save humanity from extinction, why did Q expose them to the Borg? Is it because they saw the Borg taking over the universe? Are the Borg seeking perfection to one day become a Q? Are they aware of Q? Do they realise humans entered the Q continuum?

Q's reaction to his son was always weird

'DON'T PROVOKE THE BORG!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭WhatAMelon

I dunno what to make of the DS9 episode. I like the way he isn't the protagonist, he's just passing through. I also did like the way he tests Sisko and just makes the decision 'no, you're not entertaining for me'. That struck me as an amusing twist and we never see Q again.

And Q isn't lusting after Vash no more than he lusts after Picard. It's just that Vash is more game for Q's antics. Or at least, was game until she fell out with him. And Q doesn't take rejection very well, not with Picard nor with Vash and continues to badger them both for awhile.

I liked the Quinn episode in Voyager. I liked some of the Q civil war stuff. I did not like Mrs Q or Q Jr. It became hackneyed then.

WhatAMelon wrote: »
    I dunno what to make of the DS9 episode. I like the way he isn't the protagonist, he's just passing through. I also did like the way he tests Sisko and just makes the decision 'no, you're not entertaining for me'. That struck me as an amusing twist and we never see Q again.

And Q isn't lusting after Vash no more than he lusts after Picard. It's just that Vash is more game for Q's antics. Or at least, was game until she fell out with him. And Q doesn't take rejection very well, not with Picard nor with Vash and continues to badger them both for awhile.

I liked the Quinn episode in Voyager. I liked some of the Q civil war stuff. I did not like Mrs Q or Q Jr. It became hackneyed then.

I say!

0.jpg

One of my favourite Trek moments. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Watching Generations. I'd forgotten why I hated it. I've remembered now.

Naff promotion of Worf. Data's irritating experiences with the emotion chip, Picard crying. Kirks dead, no he's not, yeah he's dead again.

syklops wrote: »
    Watching Generations. I'd forgotten why I hated it. I've remembered now.

Naff promotion of Worf. Data's irritating experiences with the emotion chip, Picard crying. Kirks dead, no he's not, yeah he's dead again.

Lifeforms beep beep beep, you lovely little life forms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I like it, in the same way i like new trek.. Good adventure stories.. But not an event, which the original films feel like when you watch them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Generations - Klingons with cleavage. Oh.

• Advertisement

Generations - Klingons with cleavage. Oh.

Wouldn't mind getting thrown against the bedroom bulkhead by those two...
    I'll get me coat

Advertisement