Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Wouldn't mind getting thrown against the bedroom bulkhead by those two...
    I'll get me coat

The one on the left yes, the other one is a butterface.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Season 2 DS9 seems to be where it picked up substantially. People say it's season 3/4 with the Dominion war but I can see a certain overall improvement with season 2 episodes like the one with the Jem Hadar and Thomas Riker and even the utterly boring one where Dax falls in love with generica-man because there was the far more entertaining subplot of Quark trying to make that holosuite fantasy with Kira in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Season 2 DS9 seems to be where it picked up substantially. People say it's season 3/4 with the Dominion war but I can see a certain overall improvement with season 2 episodes like the one with the Jem Hadar and Thomas Riker and even the utterly boring one where Dax falls in love with generica-man because there was the far more entertaining subplot of Quark trying to make that holosuite fantasy with Kira in it.

Dominion war is bit later than 3/4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Dominion war is bit later than 3/4

Ye the dominion was only mentioned once or twice in season 2. At first when quark went to the delta quadrant representing the ferengi and then I think at the end of season 2.

Season 3 explored it a lot more with way of the warrior at the start of season 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Agreed, you can see the beginnings of greatness from Season 2 onwards

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved the small mentions that the Dominion got in the early episodes of DS9. Hinted at a much great threat, that lead onto the best arc in any Trek series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Yep. I see it mentioned as standard that DS9 doesn't get better until Season 3. Probably because of the Defiant and Dominion appearing properly?

However I agree that Season 2 is really when DS9 gets its act together.

The three part Bajoran arc at the start
    Necessary Evil which explores the past and just fleshes out everyone involved.
    Armageddon Game which really gets the O'Brien/Bashir friendship going
    Whispers: a great underrated ep with a great performance by Meaney.

Then you get into a brilliant run from Blood Oath to The Jem'Hadar which is just a tremendous run of great episodes.

Season 2 is just full of character building greatness and everything onwards comes from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

syklops wrote: »
    Watching Generations. I'd forgotten why I hated it. I've remembered now.

Naff promotion of Worf. Data's irritating experiences with the emotion chip, Picard crying. Kirks dead, no he's not, yeah he's dead again.

its better than the recent films and its better than insurrection :)
    dont ask where Nemesis fits in cause i can never make up my mind. Im not one for wishing for space battles but im sorry the end of that film should have involved the federation fleet mentioned earlier as well as the enterprise and the valdore. Total cop-out
    Daith wrote: »
    Yep. I see it mentioned as standard that DS9 doesn't get better until Season 3. Probably because of the Defiant and Dominion appearing properly?

However I agree that Season 2 is really when DS9 gets its act together.

The three part Bajoran arc at the start
    Necessary Evil which explores the past and just fleshes out everyone involved.
    Armageddon Game which really gets the O'Brien/Bashir friendship going
    Whispers: a great underrated ep with a great performance by Meaney.

Then you get into a brilliant run from Blood Oath to The Jem'Hadar which is just a tremendous run of great episodes.

Season 2 is just full of character building greatness and everything onwards comes from that.

i do like blood oath!!
    allot :)

does season 2 not also have that fantastic Garek episode with the chip in his head and we first meet Tain (wish Bashir) ye season 2 was great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Slarkon wrote: »

does season 2 not also have that fantastic Garek episode with the chip in his head and we first meet Tain (wish Bashir) ye season 2 was great

Yep, "The Wire". In which DS9 makes a supporting character more developed than almost any other main character in any Trek show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Garek and Martok - two of THE best supporting cast members who should have been made regulars really. Love them! two of my favourite characters in the trek universe!

• Advertisement

Continuing on my Star Trek run through of the original series. Just watched Space Speed and had my first encounter with Kahn.
    Then a fantastic episode A Taste of Armageddon.
    And now, This Side of Paradise. Some weird blonde has a romantic past with Spock.
    When the word "perfect" in star trek I get worried!

Happy new year fellow Trekies

#IstandwithAxanar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

SarahBM wrote: »
    Happy new year fellow Trekies

#IstandwithAxanar

May you have a prosperous and logical new year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SlowPokeDerp

Any details on the series or kinds of stuff?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

TNG 5:19 - The First Duty.

Featuring an early Tom Paris, only not quite, and Picard telling Wesley to cop the fup on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I hated that episode as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

TNG:S4-E21 Drumhead is a great episode

The guy playing Simon Tarsis was class

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That's a fantastic episode. I loved that Worf bought into it, and his chat with Picard at the end.
    Worf - "I believed her. I-I HELPED her! I did not see what she was."
    Picard - "Mr. Worf, villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well camouflaged."

Any episode with a speech by Picard is going to be excellent :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

apparently michelle forbes (ro laren) was offered a role on both DS9 and Voyager and turned them both down.. something i never knew

• Advertisement

apparently michelle forbes (ro laren) was offered a role on both DS9 and Voyager and turned them both down.. something i never knew

Yeah, she didn't want to be pigeon holed so did BattleStar instead ha.

She had a large role in Law and Order no?

Good character, she'd have been well suited to both shows (DS9 with the Bajoran connection, & part of the Maquis crew on Voyager).

They've made Ro captain of DS9 in the book EU

They've made Ro captain of DS9 in the book EU

Ugh, I find the non canon stuff awfully contrived, & so desperate in its attempts to link as many established characters together as possible, that it's hard to read. I've read a handful of EU books over the years, and found them all disappointing...it reads like anorak fan service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yeah, she didn't want to be pigeon holed so did BattleStar instead ha.

She had a large role in Law and Order no?

She's a busy actor, She voiced one of Half-Life 2's npc's too.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000405/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Myrddin wrote: »
    Ugh, I find the non canon stuff awfully contrived, & so desperate in its attempts to link as many established characters together as possible, that it's hard to read. I've read a handful of EU books over the years, and found them all disappointing...it reads like anorak fan service.

Generally it's what the readers want though.
    The Excalibur series excepted it's a case of know your audience.

Given that Ro was meant to be second in command, under Sisko, this one makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 9,175 ✭✭✭squonk

I think Michelle showed up on Chacgo Fire as well. She's certainly not pidgeon holed at this stage and has a huge amount of more conventional roles under her belt.

Given that Ro was meant to be second in command, under Sisko, this one makes sense

Hardly...she was a low level officer poorly thought of officer in Starfleet, she then infiltrated the Maquis at the behest of Starfleet, she then deserted Starfleet to join the Maquis, and that's about the heights we seen of her. I liked the character, but as someone to run the enormously important DS9...the Bajoran government would have had a huge pool of more suited officers to choose from.

Had she not turned down the role it would have been interesting to see how it turned out. I do wonder though, if these considerations were made before she abandoned Starfleet to join the Maquis, because the Bajoran government would never have put a known Maquis member in as XO on DS9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Myrddin wrote: »
    Hardly...she was a low level officer poorly thought of officer in Starfleet, she then infiltrated the Maquis at the behest of Starfleet, she then deserted Starfleet to join the Maquis, and that's about the heights we seen of her. I liked the character, but as someone to run the enormously important DS9...the Bajoran government would have had a huge pool of more suited officers to choose from.

Had she not turned down the role it would have been interesting to see how it turned out. I do wonder though, if these considerations were made before she abandoned Starfleet to join the Maquis, because the Bajoran government would never have put a known Maquis member in as XO on DS9.

Sure ds9 was where they were sticking the washed up officers at that point.

Ro makes perfect sense. A liability anywhere important , but stick her on ds9 in the number 2 spot and maybe woo some of the more skeptical natives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

The other three series are about conquistadors like Picard, Kirk, and Janeway, which is great fun, however, possibly a more interesting way for DS9 to go, would have been to leave out the wormhole and all that guff for a while and just focus on showing the washed up Sisko, wile the Bajorans out of what was left of their nation and planet.

As it is, the Federation more or less commandeers and militarises the only resource worth anything in the Bajoran system and uses it more or less as it pleases.

Any time at all that the question of Bajoran territorial possession of the wormhole comes up, the Federation rides roughshod over their rights to it's own ends.

Advertisement