Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sure ds9 was where they were sticking the washed up officers at that point.

Chief O'Brien was hardly washed up, he was coming off serving on the Federation flagship.
    Bashir wasn't washed up either, & was in fact eager and fresh.
    Dax, same, excellent officer full of skill & knowledge.
    Sisko, ok, there's merit for debate there...but to say it was a place to mothball poor performing officers is wrong.
    Ro makes perfect sense. A liability anywhere important , but stick her on ds9 in the number 2 spot and maybe woo some of the more skeptical natives.

She's proven she has no loyalty, and just follows the easiest path in front of her. Not a hope would she be a good choice for XO of such an important station.

The other three series are about conquistadors like Picard, Kirk, and Janeway, which is great fun, however, possibly a more interesting way for DS9 to go, would have been to leave out the wormhole and all that guff for a while and just focus on showing the washed up Sisko, wile the Bajorans out of what was left of their nation and planet.

As it is, the Federation more or less commandeers the only resource worth anything in the Bajoran system and uses it more or less as it pleases.

Any time at all that the question of Bajoran territorial possession of the wormhole comes up, the Federation rides roughshod over their rights to it's own ends.

You've not been around for a while, but I see you've still got it dude :D

Myrddin wrote: »
    Chief O'Brien was hardly washed up, he was coming off serving on the Federation flagship.
    Bashir wasn't washed up either, & was in fact eager and fresh.
    Dax, same, excellent officer full of skill & knowledge.
    Sisko, ok, there's merit for debate there...but to say it was a place to mothball poor performing officers is wrong.

She's proven she has no loyalty, and just follows the easiest path in front of her. Not a hope would she be a good choice for XO of such an important station.

Bashir was offered "real" postings but refused so as to do frontier medicine

Bashir was offered "real" postings but refused so as to do frontier medicine

So how does that prove he was 'washed up'? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

DS9 only turned out to be important after the crew had been assigned. It was a backwater where they were sticking hard to place liabilities like Sisko, Laren and Bashir.

O'Brien is an NCO and while he's surely talented, he was one of hundreds on the Enterprise.

• Advertisement

DS9 only turned out to be important after the crew had been assigned. It was a backwater where they were sticking hard to place liabilities like Sisko, Laren and Bashir.

O'Brien is an NCO and while he's surely talented, he was one of hundreds on the Enterprise.

I'll concede the point that at the time of assignments, DS9 was effectively a ****hole in the middle of nowhere. I don't agree though that Bashir or anyone else other than Sisko would have been considered washed up. Bashir had the pick of assignments, he chose DS9, they didn't stick him anywhere. This is all somewhat besides the point though, I'm not convinced the Bajoran government would have wanted anything to do with Ro...she betrayed everyone she was ever aligned to at one time or another, & just isn't officer or command material. Of course, if Michelle Forbes hadn't turned down the role this would all be moot...but still :o

I'll concede the point that at the time of assignments, DS9 was effectively a ****hole in the middle of nowhere. I don't agree though that Bashir or anyone else other than Sisko would have been considered washed up. Bashir had the pick of assignments, he chose DS9, they didn't stick him anywhere. This is all somewhat besides the point though, I'm not convinced the Bajoran government would have wanted anything to do with Ro...she betrayed everyone she was ever aligned to at one time or another, & just isn't officer or command material. Of course, if Michelle Forbes hadn't turned down the role this would all be moot...but still :o

Exactly, Bashir chose DS9, a backwater, and while at the time he guffs on about wanting to be on the frontier, practicing real medicine, this was revealed for the rouse that it was later.

He simply didn't want a high profile post, as it risked his background being more stringently examined.

It's worth noting that upon him attracting the least bit of attention, his false identity falls apart and he is revealed for the cheat and fraud that he is.

Exactly, Bashir chose DS9, a backwater, and while at the time he guffs on about wanting to be on the frontier, practicing real medicine, this was revealed for the rouse that it was later.

He simply didn't want a high profile post, as it risked his background being more stringently examined.

It's worth noting that upon him attracting the least bit of attention, his false identity falls apart and he is revealed for the cheat and fraud that he is.

I can't argue with that because its canon, but personally, I felt they really did a job on poor Julian with that rubbish story. There's not a hope in hell I'll ever believe that when they were writing the first few seasons of DS9, that they were accounting for him being illegally genetically modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Hardly...she was a low level officer poorly thought of officer in Starfleet, she then infiltrated the Maquis at the behest of Starfleet, she then deserted Starfleet to join the Maquis, and that's about the heights we seen of her. I liked the character, but as someone to run the enormously important DS9...the Bajoran government would have had a huge pool of more suited officers to choose from.

Had she not turned down the role it would have been interesting to see how it turned out. I do wonder though, if these considerations were made before she abandoned Starfleet to join the Maquis, because the Bajoran government would never have put a known Maquis member in as XO on DS9.

Kira might have, she's a good fit especially after Voyager's end when the entire maquis crew were basically told, ahh it's okay, it was only a few cardi's and a bit of high treason, ye'll be grand

Kira might have, she's a good fit especially after Voyager's end when the entire maquis crew were basically told, ahh it's okay, it was only a few cardi's and a bit of high treason, ye'll be grand

I don't think so. The Maquis on Voyager made a concerted effort to fit in and abide by the rules (in itself bad writing really). By the time Voyager got home, Janeway would have testified beyond doubt that she owed she and the rest of the Starfleet crew owed their lives to the remaining Maquis crew members. I think their actions over the seven years speak for themselves.

Ro however, betrayed everyone she ever aligned herself to. It wouldn't have been long before she screwed up on DS9...the Bajoran Government was distancing itself from the Maquis too, & was developing its own legitimate military. While I like the character, she's nowhere near command officer material....except in dodgy non canon fan fiction :D

Edit - you mention Kira, is this a typo or am I misunderstanding?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I don't think sisko chose DS9 till after he found wormhole....what's the point of this chat anyway??

I don't think so. The Maquis on Voyager made a concerted effort to fit in and abide by the rules (in itself bad writing really). By the time Voyager got home, Janeway would have testified beyond doubt that she owed she and the rest of the Starfleet crew owed their lives to the remaining Maquis crew members. I think their actions over the seven years speak for themselves.

Ro however, betrayed everyone she ever aligned herself to. It wouldn't have been long before she screwed up on DS9...the Bajoran Government was distancing itself from the Maquis too, & was developing its own legitimate military. While I like the character, she's nowhere near command officer material....except in dodgy non canon fan fiction :D

The maquis on voyager were complicit in and accessories to Janeways habitual breaking of the prime directive and temporal prime directive.

I don't think sisko chose DS9 till after he found wormhole....what's the point of this chat anyway??

Basically I think most of the non canon novels are awful, and spend more time connection established tv characters together in the most bizarre of ways, rather than creating new ones and writing them well. One of the novels has Ro in command of DS9...& I don't think that'd ever actually happen on the show itself.
    The maquis on voyager were complicit in and accessories to Janeways habitual breaking of the prime directive and temporal prime directive.

Meh, I'm almost finished a complete run through of Voyager...this kind of stuff is blown hugely out of proportion imo. Janeway was a very good Captain, a bit bullish at times, but in the circumstances, she done the best by her crew & her morals.

Wasnt she the commander of DS9 at the end? If Ro was an option for command by Kira and she wasnt killed by the Jem'Hdar when they purged the badlands, i reckon she'd have been a good fit.
    She has no love for Cardassians, like any Bajoran, and by the end of DS9 Cardassia was crippled by the alliance's invasion and their own insurrection. Which would mean the threat from Cardassia would be minimal for a long time, which in turn would mean that Ro's obvious capability as an officer wouldnt prove to be such a hinderance with that threat all but removed.

Yeah Kira was in reply to
    "because the Bajoran government would never have put a known Maquis member in as XO on DS9."
    because she'd be precisely the one person on Bajor or DS9 that would choose a misfit over anyone else. Ro would make a good tactical officer tbh

Ro Laren has a lot of the traits associated with some of Starfleets most celebrated officers;
    • A habitual disregard for authority and the chain of command
    • A moral fluidity that allows her to apply rules that suit her only when they suit her
    • Disregard for the damage caused to others by her actions
    • Ends justify the means mentality

I can't really see what would stop her being appointed to DS9.

Particularly as the original Starfleet mission in the Bajoran system was to suppress the native government, culture, and society to allow easy assimilation into the Federation.

Wasnt she the commander of DS9 at the end? If Ro was an option for command by Kira and she wasnt killed by the Jem'Hdar when they purged the badlands, i reckon she'd have been a good fit.

Sorry yeah, wires cross there. Kira was in command at the end of DS9. I don't believe Kira would choose Ro though for any worthwhile position. In some ways she's like Kira when Kira was younger and less experienced...but Kira had principles, and she stuck to them. Ro didn't, and doesn't. I could actually see them clashing, because Kira ended up an officer who understood and respected the chain of command...Ro, on the other hand, has never shown the ability to comit long term to anything, & in fact admitted, she just didn't fit in on the Enterprise. Kira would want an officer who can follow the rules...I don't see that being Ro at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Some News on the new Series.

A Poster at last :)

http://www.treknews.net/2016/03/25/star-trek-all-access-teaser-poster/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I would like a new series to be a high quality mini series, showing things we know happen in cannon over maybe two / three episodes.

Moments I would like to see on screen:
    • Picard stepping over the fallen Jack Crusher to take command of the Stargazer
    • Riker siding with Pressman on the Pegasus
    • Data / Lore Origin
    • Young Janeway on the AlBatani with Captain Paris
    • Tasha Yar in the Academy
    • A Tom Paris origin
    • Chief O'Brien getting PTSD in the Cardassian war
    • Khitomer outpost Mogh / Duras

Captain Sulu, USS Excelsior!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Captain Sulu, USS Excelsior!

I would pay to watch that! Excelsior is a beautiful ship and Sulu would be an awesome captain

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

[*]A Tom Paris origin

Well once upon a time, Admiral Paris and Mrs Paris loved each other very much... :p

But seriously, retreading old ground is not what Trek needs to be doing - it didn't work out well with ENT and the first of the new movies was decent if viewed as disposable action comedy fare but far from what Trek is about (the second was shyte and the third doesn't look much better). We already know Kirk and Co's story.. we don't need this "new and improved" version IMO.

Something set back in the original universe and post-Nemesis is what's needed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

There's a runabout in TNG!

There's a runabout in TNG!

Yeah in the time stasis episode no?

Yep, Timescape - love that ep :)

625_1.jpg

It's on syfy. Been a while since I've seen this ep

been watching the entire series again, i'm nearly done with season 6.. again :P Just finished watching Birthright, a dull affair tbqh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm holding off on another rewatch until I get the BluRays

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm holding off on another rewatch until I get the BluRays

Is that worth it??

None of the existing ST series have particularly good special effects, sound, or cinematography.

Outside of the films, I can think of only a handful of instances where camera angle and shot composition seem to have even occurred to the director of an episode.

For me, ST is dialogue and story driven, rather than visual. HD Blu-ray would only serve to reveal how bogey a lot of the sets, makeup and special effects are in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The difference in TNG with the BluRay edition is unbelievable. I was skeptical as well until i saw it. It looks like the show was made in the last few years.

The updated versions are on Netflix as well, iirc.

Advertisement