Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Onion, Closing or Moving?

• 10-12-2011 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I recently saw their premesis listed on a property site, anyone know what the story is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Buataisi wrote: »
    I recently saw their premesis listed on a property site, anyone know what the story is?

Owner could be selling the building with a tenant in situ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Buataisi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Buataisi

phog wrote: »
    Owner could be selling the building with a tenant in situ?
    Shop to let c 650 sq ft. Presently trading as a coffee shop. Available 1st February 2012.
    The advert makes it sound like they're not going to be there anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Hopefully they'll still be in business. Ruth and Bob rock :D Seriously great food, I always come out of there stuffed :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭adaminho

If you've eaten there over the last few years you would have noticed at the end of the menu a sign saying they are looking to lease out the place. This would involve them staying on but you putting up the money. I know this as I knew someone looking at it over the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mkegvn

Unfortunately they are closing for good on Xmas Eve. They we due to close mid year, but kept it going until now. They'll be missed. A huge pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

mkegvn wrote: »
    Unfortunately they are closing for good on Xmas Eve. They we due to close mid year, but kept it going until now. They'll be missed. A huge pity.

Aw no :(:( they really will be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Been a while since i was in there ( or had the money to spend in there ) but it was a great place for a proper brekkie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Its on the market over a year wouldn't be too worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Will definitely call in there between now and Christmas Eve just in case, it'll definitely be missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Ruths been thinking this one over a good bit lately, very slim chance it might be there in new year, but for now, xmas eve is goodbye :( Genuinely gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

:'(

I'll be very sad to see this one close up. Poor Bob's hip, and now his knee - no wonder that retirement has been on the cards for a good while. I've a feeling that Bob may continue cooking up the treats, and Ruth may like to keep in contact with her extended family of regulars, maybe by opening a pastry counter somewhere?

I will really miss my weekly food treat on a Saturday morning or any time I'm in town daytimes. Elvis or Priscilla burgers, Mexican omelettes, the famous french toast with everything, the oh so wonderful coffee (not over-roasted but kicks like a mule).

I do wish Bob and Ruth all the best in retirement, and not having to get up at 3am every morning.

It's hard for the rest of the staff too though - people that have been employed there for 3-5 years or more..

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I just went back there last week after a long unintended absence. Food was great. Buckets of coffee and a huge breakfast for about 8. Have to go back one more time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

gutted if this is true. One of my favourite places to eat in the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

Heard from a good source today that they are opening a bakery just north of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanigamadan

Sadly confirmed today that they will serve their last meal on Christmas Eve.

Got a card from there this morning saying that they will be opening a bakery opposite the Strand Hotel in the New Year and that, at least, will be something to look forward to!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭grasscutter

went there today for my last meal. I will miss the place, the welcome and the food

Good luck in your new venture Ruth and Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭black & white

I had breakfast there yesterday. Bets of luck for the future and hope the other staff get sorted out with something soon as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Just saw Ruth hammering a Wild Onion sign on the outside of a unit opposite the strand

last out the door on xmas eve, was a very sad moment :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Raisin333

There will be a new restaurant there from the 1st of March, breakfasts, coffee shop, sandwiches, rolls and lots of different types of creps & pancakes! :)

pah, not the same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Raisin333 wrote: »
    There will be a new restaurant there from the 1st of March, breakfasts, coffee shop, sandwiches, rolls and lots of different types of creps & pancakes! :)

Good. I loved the Wild Onion food, but was there when Bob abused a fellow customer. It was awful, and I only ever went back once.

So I hope to see you in March ;) I'm sure you'll enjoy :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Raisin333 wrote: »
    So I hope to see you in March ;) I'm sure you'll enjoy :)

We'll call in for sure.

You've plenty of competition in the area, so I'd suggest you need to be slightly "different" to do well. The Wild Onion had unique food (it was good too) and offered unlimited coffee refills.

I'm sure you'll be happy with us. :) And coffee will be great :) So will be the the food.

Who are you raisin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

Good. I loved the Wild Onion food, but was there when Bob abused a fellow customer. It was awful, and I only ever went back once.
    not an unusual occurance, havent been in years because of it, ruth could be as bad, good luck to them in their new venture though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

News just in from the Twitter Machine:

They plan on opening something in March on the Ennis Road across from the Strand Hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭The Bull O'Shea

Yeah Raisin if you are involved, I hope you do something different. The usual irish fry up is available in almost all petrol stations now. You are not going to do much business in that market. Hopefully something unique like the Wild Onion

Best of luck anyway

Advertisement