Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiology - switch from Diagnostic to Therapeutic

Options
  • 10-12-2011 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hello,

I'm a diagnostic radiographer from Brazil (have 7 years experience). I've been out of radiography for 3 years and have recently settled for good in Ireland (with stamp 4 visa). I am interested to train in Therapeutic Radiology, and am wondering are there any avenues open to me here in Ireland or Northern Ireland, to do this training on a post-graduate basis rather than as an undergrad?

If anyone knows anything about training in the UK and can give some advise, please let me know also – I’d be very grateful as it is quite difficult to access the right information from outside the profession.

Many thanks,
    A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Moved from Teaching and Lecturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Radiation Therapy (or therapeutic radiology) is undergrad only in Ireland. There is a 2-year MSc in Queen Margaret in Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

OP, it's a long time ago since I trained (in the UK) but back then you could do an 18-month post-grad diploma course in therapeutic radiography following qualification in diagnostic radiography. I can't find any up-to-date information for you, but about half of what we learned was common to both courses and I can't imagine much has changed.

I would suggest making a phone call to the principal of the School of Radiography in any university which offers courses in both diagnostic and therapeutic radiography, such as University of Hertfordshire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

According to the IIRRT website the NVO are responsible for validation of qualifications from outside Ireland. Before beginning any course it's probably worth verifying that it will allow you to work in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Rooneysdaman

Diagnostic and Therapy are both available at University of Liverpool in England, might be a good place to ask some questions.

copperlobo wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm a diagnostic radiographer from Brazil (have 7 years experience). I've been out of radiography for 3 years and have recently settled for good in Ireland (with stamp 4 visa). I am interested to train in Therapeutic Radiology, and am wondering are there any avenues open to me here in Ireland or Northern Ireland, to do this training on a post-graduate basis rather than as an undergrad?

If anyone knows anything about training in the UK and can give some advise, please let me know also – I’d be very grateful as it is quite difficult to access the right information from outside the profession.

Many thanks,
    A

• Advertisement
Advertisement