Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible SSD failure

Options
  • 10-12-2011 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭

Well I suspect the SSD anyway.

Windows is freezing on start up and BSDing intermittently. I'm getting stop errors 0x000000F4 and 0x00000074. I've replaced the memory and still get both errors, tested the memory and it's fine. Once or twice the BIOS hasn't picked up the SSD drive on boot. I'm having trouble booting into either Safe Mode or Start-up repair.

I've a second SSD to hand due to building brother's PC (he's not in a rush for it), should I go ahead and swap out the drives and reinstall Windows? Or can someone think of some other reason this could be happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Stick the SSD in another computer (if you can), see what happens.

Could also be your processor, but I doubt an overclock is only now becoming unstable.
    Could be your motherboard, but there's no real way to test that, other than elimination.

Did you update any drivers or anything recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Serephucus wrote: »
    Stick the SSD in another computer (if you can), see what happens.

Could also be your processor, but I doubt an overclock is only now becoming unstable.
    Could be your motherboard, but there's no real way to test that, other than elimination.

Did you update any drivers or anything recently?

Testing with a new SSD now. Having some issues installing Windows. Will update as I eliminate components and cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

nesf wrote: »
    Testing with a new SSD now. Having some issues installing Windows. Will update as I eliminate components and cables.

Try a different port on the motherboard. Could be a faulty connect. Hopefully not the contoller going dead. Do you have a sandybridge motherboard btw? Could be one of the first ones that where supposed to be recalled for sata ports going faulty.

deceit wrote: »
    Try a different port on the motherboard. Could be a faulty connect. Hopefully not the contoller going dead. Do you have a sandybridge motherboard btw? Could be one of the first ones that where supposed to be recalled for sata ports going faulty.

Yeah 1155 Mobo. Have a spare one I can put in if needs be. Trying a different cable to a different port at the moment with a reinstall of Windows. We'll see how this goes.

Yeah 1155 Mobo. Have a spare one I can put in if needs be. Trying a different cable to a different port at the moment with a reinstall of Windows. We'll see how this goes.

Yea it was either sata 2 ports or sata 3 set so if in one colour of them switch to a port of a different colour. If that fixes it get your board rma'd

• Advertisement

It was ports other than 0 and 1 on the native SATA2 controller.

Hmm, replaced motherboard. Now it gets to post and restarts or gets to boot (can't boot MBR is fecked).

Power issue? I don't understand how a PSU could suddenly start acting up.

Edit: Reseated power cables, seems to be ok now. We'll see.

Yeah, it was the motherboard. Reseated power cables and installed windows again with no problem. Everything running smoothly now.

Thanks for the help guys.

Glad you got it sorted. What motherboard was it that got fecked?

Serephucus wrote: »
    Glad you got it sorted. What motherboard was it that got fecked?

Asus P8Z68-V Pro. Had good reviews. :(

Replaced with a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P. Hopefully I'll have more luck with this one. Blind luck that I'd ordered parts for my brother was was able to rob his motherboard.

• Advertisement

Asus P8Z68-V Pro. Had good reviews. :(

Replaced with a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P. Hopefully I'll have more luck with this one. Blind luck that I'd ordered parts for my brother was was able to rob his motherboard.

z78 boards arent known for giving problems, thats a **** one, hopefully its under warrany and can get it replaced. But maybe if you bent a cpu pin that connects to the sata controller could be causing the problems? Take the cpu out and inspect for any pins out of place. I hate intel for there sockets :( much better when pins are on cpu's

deceit wrote: »
    z78 boards arent known for giving problems, thats a **** one, hopefully its under warrany and can get it replaced. But maybe if you bent a cpu pin that connects to the sata controller could be causing the problems? Take the cpu out and inspect for any pins out of place. I hate intel for there sockets :( much better when pins are on cpu's

I'm not overly interested in replacing it to be honest. Once burned, twice shy and all that. I'll just pick up a cheap reliable board for my brother, he won't be doing any overclocking anyway. I might do it for him down the line but he won't ever be pushing components hard.

Christ this board is temperamental, any movement of the case at all and the power cables need to be reseated or else it'll go into a restart loop when you reboot it.

I can probably live with this though, don't exactly move the case much and it's not so sensitive that a small knock will disrupt the power or anything.

Actually, might not be a power issue after all: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t359550.html

This could be annoying. 2 boards giving me problems in a row ffs.

And figured out, was a USB conflict of some sort between the motherboard and my mouse. First time I've ever seen a mouse cause this kind of thing but hey, first time for everything I suppose.

Edit: Apparently this is a relatively common problem with the Steelseries Xai and some motherboards. Disconnecting my mouse from the USB hub on my keyboard for a boot isn't a big deal though so I can live with this.

Advertisement