Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift help, male, early 40s

Options
  • 10-12-2011 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I need to buy a Christkindle gift for my brother-in-law and am stumped. Price limit is €30.

He is 42, has three children under the age of 4 and is a builder. He likes jazz music and plays sax and guitar, but only in private.

He enjoys good food and drinks Smithwicks usually. He's a quiet person and is more focused on family than on friends - i.e. wouldn't e up for big boisterous activities like paintballing or weekends away with the lads.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

What about a jazz compilation CD and a book of Sax tunes. So he can learn some more songs? Or a sax cleaning kit or something? A book on the history of jazz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Thanks for the suggestions - he has a ton of jazz books and CDs of all kinds. I'd be worried about giving him something he already has. I really feel stuck on this one. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Hi there,

I need to buy a Christkindle gift for my brother-in-law and am stumped. Price limit is €30.

He is 42, has three children under the age of 4 and is a builder. He likes jazz music and plays sax and guitar, but only in private.

He enjoys good food and drinks Smithwicks usually. He's a quiet person and is more focused on family than on friends - i.e. wouldn't e up for big boisterous activities like paintballing or weekends away with the lads.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Does he cook? Could you get him a cook book or even one of those boxes filled with ingredients to make your own unusual meal?
    I saw sets in Tesco where you get a wok and the makings of a Thai/ Indian meal or something in it.

You're so good. These are lovely suggestions, but he doesn't cook, and has no interest in it! He really is hard to buy for.

I was thinking I could get him "Reeling in the Years" for the year he was born but I am having a hard time tracking it down. I don't think they're sold individually. I'd also buy the decade in order to have the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

What about a cracking pair of ear/headphones to listen to his music with and give his ears peace from the 3 under 4?

• Advertisement

Good suggestion Ickle, but he definitely already has a top of the line pair.

I went with the Reeling in the Years box set...out of desperation! My theory is that he likes documentaries and the series is superb. Also, he gets lots of nights in front of the telly these days with his little ones.

Sincere thanks for the suggestions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭beltzar

Its obviously too late but maybe for his birthday...How about trying to see if you can get a tour of the Smithwicks brewery in Kilkenny?

Advertisement