Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know off hand how much a box of Johnny Blue cost in Ireland in 1996?

Options
  • 10-12-2011 2:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭

An approximation will do fine, if you don't know the exact price.

A box of 10
    and a box of 20

I have a bet on with my friend that they were below 3 Punts for the 20 and below 2 Punts for the 10 box ... if she's right in contradicting me I gotta buy her a cocktail .... other way around she's gonna buy me two pints to the value of the cocktail ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

About £1.98 for 10 and under £2.50 for 20. Hope that answers your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

About £1.60 for a ten box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I checked with Mr. Google and he says:
    According to a Dáil debate in April 1996, the average price of a packet of 20 cigarettes is £2.80, depending on what one buys. Of that £2.80, the manufacturer gets 46p, the retailer gets 23p and the exchequer gets the rest.

You can also ask Mr. Google, he is nice..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭Alan_H_1991

Thanks everyone :D free pint for me now :) out of curiosity, what's the cheapest you can remember a box of smokes??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

snubbleste wrote: »
    the average price of a packet of 20 cigarettes is £2.80, depending on what one buys.
    And JP blues were a little cheaper than average.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks everyone :D free pint for me now :) out of curiosity, what's the cheapest you can remember a box of smokes??

47p for 10 major.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

Back then, Irish consumers had less purchasing power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I remember around that time as I had just started smoking and JP's were 1.59 or something very similar. We were so young and didn't get alot of money from our parents, we would all club together and buy a pack of 10!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

1.50 for 20 major

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

45p for a pack of 20 Rothmans.

• Advertisement
Advertisement