Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kickboxing progression question

• 10-12-2011 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

I'm thinking about taking up kickboxing with a view to competing at some stage down the line.

I was wondering how long (on average) it takes to start fighting competitavely. I heard there are 'smoker' fights where you would fight someone from another gym but it wouldn't go on your record.

A few bits of info to help with answers:

I'm 26, fairly fit and have played several other sports but none of these combat sports (football, running mainly)
    When it comes to sports I'm about average when it comes to picking things up.
    The gym I'm thinking about joining has 2 sessions a week which focus on fitness/core work, technical skills with pad work and bag work + light sparring for beginners.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

I think that there are so many variables involved that its going to be hard for anyone to answer your question.

Maybe some of the experienced coaches that post here might be able give you a rough idea based on examples of people they have coached over the years.

But as I said, I'm afraid the truest answer is going to be 'it depends'.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

I know there are a lot of variables and it depends on all of these but I'm just looking for a indication, ball park if ya like.

If any coaches has any examples like you said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Wouldn't you be best off asking at the club how long, on average, they have their beginners train before putting them in the ring?

Wouldn't you be best off asking at the club how long, on average, they have their beginners train before putting them in the ring?

I'm going to ask them alright but I won't be going until the new year and I wanted to get an idea now.

Also that's just one club and I wanted to get answers across different clubs for a bit of a spread.

That's why I posted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

jimmurt wrote: »
    I'm thinking about taking up kickboxing with a view to competing at some stage down the line.

I was wondering how long (on average) it takes to start fighting competitavely. I heard there are 'smoker' fights where you would fight someone from another gym but it wouldn't go on your record.

A few bits of info to help with answers:

I'm 26, fairly fit and have played several other sports but none of these combat sports (football, running mainly)
    The gym I'm thinking about joining has 2 sessions a week which focus on fitness/core work, technical skills with pad work and bag work + light sparring for beginners.

Thanks.

What type of Kickboxing? semi, light or full contact? What discipline you decide on will dictate how long it will be before your first tournament or fight.

• Advertisement

yomchi wrote: »
    What type of Kickboxing? semi, light or full contact? What discipline you decide on will dictate how long it will be before your first tournament or fight.

Full contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Fighters are made not born. A few months of training minimum 3 days a week and get running regularly and you'll bash any 'natural' who doesnt train.

BTW I'm completely bias but I'd strongly suggest you try Muay Thai before commiting to kickboxing, especially if your looking for proper full contact.

Full contact

That will be down to your coach. When a fight card is put together other coaches will match their fighters to your coach's, including you. If he thinks you are ready to match up against another novice then he will ask you do you want to take the fight. That should depend on the time you put into training and how you progress.

Good luck with it

Peetrik wrote: »
    BTW I'm completely bias but I'd strongly suggest you try Muay Thai before commiting to kickboxing, especially if your looking for proper full contact.

Yes just in case he hates kickboxing and misses out on something so much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

yomchi wrote: »
    Yes just in case he hates kickboxing and misses out on something so much better.

Haha as I said, Im completely bias, but as someone who has tried both I feel there is absolutely no comparison between the two. Just my honest opinion offered in an attempt to help the poster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement