Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee to Fenit Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

snap

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Can everone one who wants to see some action on this please make sure they are signed up to the GST email list.

The GST's objective is to see the whole route from limerick to Fenit open as a greenway, despite impediments suck as squatters and Kerry Co Co.

Just sent an email asking to be signed up and stating your address to :
    southerntrail at eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 30 A1 Dan

On Sunday I did a little bit of a recce. on the line. In my opinion the section of the line from the Tankard, where the line runs parallel to the road, towards Fenit up to where the line diverts behind the village could be tamed with relatively little effort. This is a mile, from the "M.P.Tralee 6. " past Kilfenora station to the "M.P. Tralee 7. " post. ("M.P. Tralee 8." was where the car park is now, just south of Fenit station.) The only likely issue might be where the line goes behind the gates to "Cois Cuain".

I cleared a token section about one meter of track with bare hands. Well we have to start somewhere !!!

https://traleetofenitcycleway.wordpress.com/2015/07/20/phase-2-complete-well-kind-of/

Phase 2 of the Tralee to Fenit Greenway​ / Great Southern Trail in Kerry opened late last week and we have posted a few photos of the new route below.
    As to be expected there have been ‘issues’ which have prevented the section from the Big River to Rock Street from being completed, this are due to a delay in authorisation from Dunnes Stores for the lowering of the wall of the super market car park bounding the path. It is hoped that this should be resolved and this section of the route completed within the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Just seen that there is a walk of the line planned for next Sunday

http://traleetoday.ie/52185-2/

• Advertisement

Here's an aerial view of the route

https://traleetofenitcycleway.wordpress.com/2016/01/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,150 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Maybe you would want to ask the people knocking on doors what they're going to do about it?

Anyone look at the Kerrys Eye this week?

On page 10 you have a report about the walk last week and the you have Arthur Spring's election ad on page 13

On that ad he is counting the Tralee - Fenit Greenway as an achievement

Someone should tell him Mounthawk isn't Fenit

Kerry and Galway's loss as Shane Ross TD diverts greenway funding (Sunday Business Post).

https://twitter.com/kerrycyclingcam/status/790476322095165440

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Last Saturday I took a spin out to Fenit on the bike from Tralee. Having done a bit of cycling along the Canals, Mullingar to Athlone Cycleway and the Deise Greenway, it would be a super relaxing cycle as it's short enough for occasional cyclists, no massive hills, there's great views at the Fenit end and cycling on the road isn't relaxing as its so narrow.

It's a massive pity that there are stumbling blocks in getting it open. The Deise Greenway has been a massive success for the local economy, talking to locals. There's one very small pub at the end of the Ballyvoyle tunnel that's doing a roaring trade from people cycling and walking the tunnel.Surely the same would happen in Fenit?

amadain wrote: »
    Kerry and Galway's loss as Shane Ross TD diverts greenway funding (Sunday Business Post).

https://twitter.com/kerrycyclingcam/status/790476322095165440

I hope the NIMBYs are happy now.

Of course they are, they're getting what they want, very disappointing.

NIMBY = Not In My Back Yard.

How appropriate, as some residents along the line have actually seized part of the track to extend their own property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Iv said it for years, this would never happen due to too much faffing about.

Iv said it for years, this would never happen due to too much faffing about.

The Waterford Greenway got their sh*t together in jig time. I don't know if they had to contend with 'adverse possession'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The Waterford Greenway got their sh*t together in jig time. I don't know if they had to contend with 'adverse possession'.

All I know is that here they built a path and walkway around the front of the house on the right. The line was incorporated into their back yard.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.1367644,-7.508225,3a,75y,347.84h,82.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssQjdya70ljPHR7FmQYnE9A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Radio Kerry reporting that KCC are to take ownership of the line soon:

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/kerry-county-council-expected-to-officially-own-tralee-to-fenit-railway-line-by-new-year/

Nothing about landgrabbing there though

I note in the Annual Report of Tralee Waterworld Plc (Aqua Dome) that Chairman Reen is asking 'that a special effort would be made to make this greenway a reality in the near future...we believe that the greenway...it could have a major impact on the future wellbeing of Tralee'.

I note in the Annual Report of Tralee Waterworld Plc (Aqua Dome) that Chairman Reen is asking 'that a special effort would be made to make this greenway a reality in the near future...we believe that the greenway...it could have a major impact on the future wellbeing of Tralee'.

I have seen so many well-meaning statements spouted by chairpersons from various bodies over the years, they're absolutely worthless....the "shur wouldn't it be lovely"/"someone should do something" school of thought so prevalent in this country.

Any word from him about the defunct railway related attraction, now derelict site, on the Aqua Dome's doorstep??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The greenway as well as the railway is all a pipe dream. As an similar example the Jeannie Johnson was a massive white elephant that left the town with out it anyway, for all its enormous expense it's rotting in the docks up in Dublin. The railway stopped as the train was over used and not looked after properly and now the train itself is rotting out in Blennerville. At the very least it could be a museum exibit as its a genuine Dingle train. But the council just keep going around in circles. To repair the railway now will mean almost total replacement of everything that's currently there as its all seized or rotten.
    The lock gates got repaired and they have been broken multiple times since, the sliding bridge at Blennerville was installed at massive expense and as far as I'm aware it doesn't work now due to lack of use. I'm actually amazed the windmill still runs.
    The greenway has been mooted for 30 plus years now, the line closed since the 1970s.
    Tralee just cant seem to get its act together like like other parts of Kerry.
    Even small communities like Kilflynn do a better job of organising stuff than Tralee does.

If it's not Gaah or the Lovely Girls fest, Tralee simply isn't interested.

If it's not Gaah or the Lovely Girls fest, Tralee simply isn't interested.
    GAA in tralee isn't doing great either.

The main stadium, museum and training facility are not in tralee, and what proportion of this years senior team are from tralee and its immediate hinterland.

And the performance of the tralee schools in the main schoolboy competitions is not what it should be.

Others can comment on how the festival is faring, but it seems Tralee never makes the most of its opportunities, hopefully the greenway can be the first step in changing that.

You're not wrong there, the lock gates are currently lying out in the waste ground rotting away, beside the ones rotting from the previous restoration in the 80's.
    Future archeologists are going to be very confused !
    The railway stopped as the train was over used and not looked after properly and now the train itself is rotting out in Blennerville. At the very least it could be a museum exibit as its a genuine Dingle train. But the council just keep going around in circles. To repair the railway now will mean almost total replacement of everything that's currently there as its all seized or rotten.
    The lock gates got repaired and they have been broken multiple times since, the sliding bridge at Blennerville was installed at massive expense and as far as I'm aware it doesn't work now due to lack of use.

PS Please take your GAA talk elsewhere !

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You're not wrong there, the lock gates are currently lying out in the waste ground rotting away, beside the ones rotting from the previous restoration in the 80's.
    Future archeologists are going to be very confused !

The gates were damaged in a storm a few years ago and had to be removed. The outer set were repaired to maintain the water level in the canal. There is absolutely nothing to be gained repairing the inner pair when there currently are no ships using the canal nor any such plans for the foreseeable future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

No.

And it is relevant why exactly?

This guy is spamming. Posts deleted. Mod

Council takes ownership of land along Great Southern Trail

http://www.radiokerry.ie/council-takes-ownership-land-along-great-southern-trail/

A MOVE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION (pun intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭serfboard

http://www.radiokerry.ie/council-takes-ownership-land-along-great-southern-trail/

And the best part of that:
    Kerry County Council has published tenders for consultants to develop the section from Listowel to Abbeyfeale.
    The tender is available to view here.

• Advertisement

It's not clear from that article but KCC have taken ownership of both the North Kerry and Tralee to Fenit railways.

Advertisement