Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee to Fenit Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

They have recently uploaded more footage.

https://mtbky.ie/news/tralee-to-fenit-greenway-film/

Kudos to all involved.. the footage and progress looks great. Here's hoping to resumed work on the greenway asap... I presume work has been halted recently with COVID?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Hope they get a chance to do a fly over of sections of the planned Tralee to Listowel greeway to see the potential that is there.

Looks like the work on the greenway has started again today according to the Tralee to Fenit Greenway facebook page.

There is a planning proposal to divert a substantial section of the agreed Tralee-Fenit Greenway route from the rail line and detour through a field near Clogherbrien Bridge near Tralee which we disagree with for a number of reasons.
    You can email a submission on the proposal to Kerry Council to ciu@kerrycoco.ie by next Friday September 4th and mark it Tralee-Fenit Greenway (Bawnboy), Tralee, Co. Kerry.

Checkout the https://www.facebook.com/TraleeFenitGreenway/ which has more details.

A pallet making company - Southwest Pallet Production - has taken over part of the old railway and are now looking for the green way to deviate even though they do not own the land or have planning permission building erected on it.

If they are allowed this deviation then it does not bode well for future developments of green ways as it will set precedent.

If you can have a quick read of the facebook post and send an email objecting to the diversion it would help.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

From the article:
    He said they were also currently investigating extending a walkway from Cockleshell Road to the Spa. A walkway from the Lock Gates to Cockleshell was opened last year and has proved a huge success.

This would be a really nice addition. With the path that exists between the old Lidl and the Aqua Dome, plus the Wetlands, plus the Marina - if you could find a way to make the small gaps between these little bits of infrastructure easy to cross and then add a link from the Marina to the Oyster/Greenway via Cockleshell you are getting close to the sort of loops and distances that people will actually travel to cycle on, like they do in Waterford.

I wonder what the prospect of creating another Greenway from the Aqua Dome to Blennerville would be along the old steam train line if there's no prospect of that starting up again (even if there is, you could probably make enough room for both). If you could go Aqua Dome -> Wetlands -> Blennerville -> Lock Gates -> Cockleshell -> Oyster -> Fenit and back to Tralee via the Greenway that would be a loop that would potentially bring tourists flooding in.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

keane2097 wrote: »
    This would be a really nice addition. With the path that exists between the old Lidl and the Aqua Dome, plus the Wetlands, plus the Marina - if you could find a way to make the small gaps between these little bits of infrastructure easy to cross and then add a link from the Marina to the Oyster/Greenway via Cockleshell you are getting close to the sort of loops and distances that people will actually travel to cycle on, like they do in Waterford.

I wonder what the prospect of creating another Greenway from the Aqua Dome to Blennerville would be along the old steam train line if there's no prospect of that starting up again (even if there is, you could probably make enough room for both). If you could go Aqua Dome -> Wetlands -> Blennerville -> Lock Gates -> Cockleshell -> Oyster -> Fenit and back to Tralee via the Greenway that would be a loop that would potentially bring tourists flooding in.
    Add to that, the completion of the greenway from the old Lidl to Ballyseedy, which received planning several years ago but is still awaiting funding.

There is already a long-established coastal path from Cockleshell Beach to The Spa (which was a life-saver for me during lockdown!) but it's currently unsuitable for cycling on. Still, it's great to think it'll be possible to walk/run from Tralee all the way to Fenit by the beginning of next summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Quackster wrote: »
    Add to that, the completion of the greenway from the old Lidl to Ballyseedy, which received planning several years ago but is still awaiting funding.

Yes, I remember walking and cycling to Ballyseedy quite regularly on the old road from Soundstore past Ballygarry House to the northern entrance of the woods. Since the bypass has been opened it is basically impossible to get there by any other means than a car and so I have only been there once or twice in the last couple of years, which is really sad. The section from the old Lidl to the woods would be a really important addition to make Ballyseedy accessible again, but by now I have pretty much given up hope to ever see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I must have a look for details of that one, was unaware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

keane2097 wrote: »

That would be ideal really, there's no hope of the steam train being resurrected so put the line to good use.

• Advertisement

Quaderno wrote: »
    Yes, I remember walking and cycling to Ballyseedy quite regularly on the old road from Soundstore past Ballygarry House to the northern entrance of the woods. Since the bypass has been opened it is basically impossible to get there by any other means than a car and so I have only been there once or twice in the last couple of years, which is really sad. The section from the old Lidl to the woods would be a really important addition to make Ballyseedy accessible again, but by now I have pretty much given up hope to ever see it happening.
    Padraig McGillicuddy has big plans to develop parkland at the back of Ballygarry House Hotel that would link in with Ballyseedy Wood and the River Lee path. He's currently liaising with the council so I would expect that to kick-start development of this section of the River Lee path.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,269 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

xxyyzz wrote: »
    That would be ideal really, there's no hope of the steam train being resurrected so put the line to good use.

It's a broken toy that the people of Tralee played with for a while and have now tired of, but unwilling to hand on to anyone else!

It's a broken toy that the people of Tralee played with for a while and have now tired of, but unwilling to hand on to anyone else!
    It goes right through the old dump which is still a complete mess. The biggest joke of a tourism project anyone ever came up with!

Quackster wrote: »
    It goes right through the old dump which is still a complete mess. The biggest joke of a tourism project anyone ever came up with!

Biggest waste of money for no return since the Jeanie Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Once the Fenit Greenway gets up and running properly, and people see the success and benefits of it, there will be calls for this to be Greenwayed too.

serfboard wrote: »
    Once the Fenit Greenway gets up and running properly, and people see the success and benefits of it, there will be calls for this to be Greenwayed too.

If they want spectacular views of a dump, I guess they can. No-one else is doing anything with it.

Yeah who'd have though running on old railway line would be expensive? :D

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Yeah who'd have though running on old railway line would be expensive? :D

Greenways aren't free either, although some are under that impression.

Greenways aren't free either, although some are under that impression.

Yeah but once they're built, they're built. After that the only real expense is maybe cutting back the hedges every now and then. Compare that with the cost of running a steam train.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭JB81

Can I ask is there a tarmac greenway out by camp or dingle direction that would suit kids bikes. Basically not cycling on side of road.
    Thanks
    Jb

• Advertisement

JB81 wrote: »
    Can I ask is there a tarmac greenway out by camp or dingle direction that would suit kids bikes. Basically not cycling on side of road.
    Thanks
    Jb

There's a bit of a cycling path from Camp village beside the road that goes up the hill in the dingle direction but it doesn't go too far. There's another few kms of cycle path besides the main road on the east side of lispole.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

JB81 wrote: »
    Thanks
    Jb

https://annascaul.org/what-to-do/cycling/

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

https://www.radiokerry.ie/councillors-vote-support-diversion-tralee-fenit-greenway/

Looks like diversion for Tralee Fenit Greenway has been approved by councillors.

I have mixed feelings towards this... It could mean that we get a greenway quicker... however it could set a bad precedent longer term for other projects... especially for Tralee to Listowel when squatters on the old rail line hold their ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

teroknor83 wrote: »
    https://www.radiokerry.ie/councillors-vote-support-diversion-tralee-fenit-greenway/

Looks like diversion for Tralee Fenit Greenway has been approved by councillors.

I have mixed feelings towards this... It could mean that we get a greenway quicker... however it could set a bad precedent longer term for other projects... especially for Tralee to Listowel when squatters on the old rail line hold their ground.

This was a common sense approach. Definitely the best outcome given the circumstances.

Does this mean Martin O’Regan of , Southwest Pallet Production gets to keep the land?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

Yep... looks that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

Clab mor wrote: »
    This was a common sense approach. Definitely the best outcome given the circumstances.

It's a complete joke and sets an awful precedent. Shame on the councillors who voted for this.

"...he’s always been 100% committed to the greenway and that he wants it to follow the rail line.

He said he’s happy to relocate and that he’s not holding up the project."

So what's the problem?

Irish business owner holding out for a big payoff? Surely not! :D:D
    See, greenways aren't so cheap. Cheap greenways are half arsed greenways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

During today’s meeting, senior engineer with the council, Tom Sheehy said the landowner was willing to move, but said the cost was prohibited and couldn’t be borne by the council.
    Note the bolded bit. I thought Kerry County Council was the landowner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

serfboard wrote: »
    Note the bolded bit. I thought Kerry County Council was the landowner?

What actually is the story here. I understand it was CIE/Iarnrod Eireann land untill 2014 when it was passed over to the council. The tracks were still down on it as it was never formally abandoned as far as I’m aware, so, how does the guy who now occupies that section actually own it? Is it a squatters rights issue? Why wasn’t it sorted in the transfer of the ownership in 2014 given that everyone was aware what the plan was for the line and the site was occupied at the time.

Sections of the North Kerry line, which actually was abandoned by Iarnrod Eireann are now incorporated into fields, can Farmer Brown say the same thing when they try and develop that? He would have even more rights to keep it as a field would be not?

Advertisement